Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
jjp
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Good Afternoon. Need some help with a 2002 GMC Savana 3500 with an F-code 6.5. Over the past several months i've experienced some intermittent problems with the cruise control. It will set at a speed OK, but sometimes will lose the set point if i use the accelerator manually to pass traffic or it will not resume speed from the R/A switch after a brake application. The problem is more frequently seen after manual use of the accelerator. This morning, i experienced a "no response" accelerator pedal several times when attempting to accelerate away from a stop. That is, step on the pedal, and no response from the engine. Once, i just went deeper and the engine roared abruptly to life, mostly i let up and tried again, and the engine responded to the pedal normally. I am leaning toward a bad APP Sensor, but as of yet have not put meters to it to test. My repair manual says replacing the APP Sensor requires a proprietary factory tool to calibrate a replacement. The part is salty enough ($400ish) at my NAPA, if i must have the dealer calibrate it, obviously they will not use my part. I see this as an expensive bill if the dealer has to be involved. Does anyone know if replacing this part is just plug and play, or does it require a calibration of some kind? Thanks for any help, in advance.

Last edited by jjp; 12-13-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

The APPS is the whole throttle pedal assembly and doesn't require any calibration. If you replaced just the actual sensor calibration would be required, but I don't know of any place to buy just the APPS sensor. Has your service throttle light ever came on? The APPS rarely fails as it is a 3 sided triple redundant assembly. Even if 1 goes out, it will still run completely normal on the other 2, and if 2 goes out it will run in limp mode on 1. Check with the dealer as I bought one for mine 3 years ago for about $270 from them(put it in when I did my DMAX swap even though my old one was still good).
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jjp
Diesel Fanatic

No codes or service throttle lights at all. Just the intermittent problem with the cruise control for several months now, and the loss of any response to the pedal four or five times this morning. The van had sat unused for about twelve days until this morning, and the non responding pedal problem went away the longer i drove. Outside air temps were in the high 20'sF. The PMD is a Heath, on the bumper, new in June 2010, with perhaps 25,000 miles on the vehicle since installation. For now, i'm willing to discount the PMD as the cause. I keep coming back to the loss of the cruise control "set point", as if the cruise switch had been switched off, at times when i'd manually accelerate as the crucial clue. When this happens, there is nothing else involved except my foot on the pedal. This is what makes me suspect the APP Sensor. The repair manual i have talks about replacement requiring "checks of the throttle opening and throttle closing ranges with a proprietary factory scan tool". This, obviously, i can't do, and do not really want to pay any of the local GM service departments to do either. But i do understand your point about the replacement being a whole assembly, the part i was shown includes the whole pedal. I can't really see anything to calibrate or check. If time permits tommorow i'm gong to measure some voltages as described in the FAQ's. I have another car that has become a parts hanging exercise, i'd like to avoid another, especially with $300-$400 parts.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Since the diesel does not have a throttle to set opening and closing points of any kind and is drive by wire technology,I would say that your service manual is referring to a gas engine service procedure.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Before suspecting the APP without any DTC to support it I'd suspect the cruise control is malfunctioning. If not the firewall unit then the multifunction switch module in the steering column. Pull the fuse and drive without the CC for a week and see if there are any throttle abnormalities. If not, I'd say the CC is your problem. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Cruise control problems are a classic sign of early PMD failure, so check it off the list just yet. Also a failing optic sensor or cloudy fuel can cause all of your problems. Make sure you're getting fuel pressure to the injection pump, and get a scanner on it. The chances of all 3 sides of the APPS failing together are SLIGHT to say the least.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
sanddunesaddict
Diesel Fanatic

if your brake switch is slightly out of adjustment or going out your cruise will act up as well

2007 Chevrolet LBZ CC DRW
Edge Juice with Attitude
Prodigy brake controller
B&W turn over ball
Air Ride 5000's
Transfer flow tank in bed
Member #1004 of the Dually club!!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Master

The brake switches have several contacts and if its like my 96 the switch moves with the pedal so the wires have to flex and will eventually break.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Master

Had the exact same problem as you. No throttle response sometimes when cold. Seemed Ok after the heater got warm. Finally one morning throttle would not work at all. Just had idle and it finally set the service throttle light. Shut off the truck, restarted and things worked ok til I got home. Got a new APP from NAPA. it was about the cheapest I could find, they gave it to me at the jobber rate. Easy to replace. Do not have to recalibrate its plug and play. Runs fine now.
APP can and do go out. Many threads here on them. Mine only had 63,000 miles on it when it went bad. And yes an erratic signal from the APP can effect the CC.
If 400 is high price. I see them used on Ebay for cheaper.

Earth First!!! We will mine the rest of the planets later.

1998 GMC K1500 6.5 66000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears.
Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support
KOJO tune WOW !
Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast
K&N filter
Ported, gasket matched upper intake.
New Bosch injectors. flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 BFG AT summer tires.
12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTswinter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.

Last edited by Tommygunner; 12-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.