DIY OLED Gauge Panel - Work In Progress - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

DIY OLED Gauge Panel - Work In Progress

I'm planning on setting up a DIY multi gauge for my suburban and I figured I would post some information / pictures for anyone willing to help and / or try it out on their own.

The goal is to have an OLED display setup to show at least 4 sensor outputs at a time. The system will be standalone, but I may add the ability to handle some ALDL data and a USB port for data logging later.

The system will generally consists of:
- controller (PICAXE 40x2 microcontroller) and mother board components
- PICAXE configured 20 Character x 4 Line OLED display,
- Type K thermo couple,
- manifold absolute pressure sensor (I found one for an 01' duramax on rockauto for a discontinued AC Delco supplier for $25!),
- oil temp probe.

MOST of the work is going to go into controller design. The PICAXE system is relatively easy to program on, but you will need to construct the 'motherboard' before you can play with it.

Components the motherboard will need:
- A voltage regulator to go from whatever your vehicle happens to be running to 5 very steady volts. I believe you can use a 5v (PN 7805 at radio shack) I think I will be stacking a 12v regulator ahead of that (PN 7810T).
- Some hardware based noise reduction (especially for the thermo couple). Thermocouple outputs for K-Type (most diesel EGT probes are k-type) are in the -10 to 50 millivolt range and every wire surrounding it in the engine bay carries a voltage several orders of magnitude higher. Induced current in the cable could easily wipe out your EGT reading. There will probably be a single post later dedicated to this topic.

My suburban has an aftermarket radio installed, so I'm going to use the factory location to mount the LCD, a few dummy lights and two buttons to cycle through display configurations.

You can find all the parts listed above scattered around the web and some of them from site vendors (such as the individual sensors). I ordered my PICAXE parts from the original source in the UK and bought an extra of everything but the OLED (total was $110 shipped).
Prices are as follows:
PICAXE 40X2 microcontroller and mother board components - $30-50
PICAXE OLED - $46
Type K EGT probe - $60 shipped
MAP Sensor - $25-50
A couple common two wire coolant / engine oil temp sensors - $15 each

Project Total ~ 190-240

plus lots of time. I'm hoping that MY time can be substituted in place of your time and you can copy this system as desired.

I'm developing all of my own programs and circuit designs and will be releasing them for public use once they are polished up. I'm hoping to have the kit functioning sometime shortly after the new year (Jan 2013) God willing.

I'll post up the first pictures in a few weeks after all the parts are here and I've got some play time in with the PICAXE controller.
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold

Last edited by Tannerjpowell; 12-05-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
matuva
Diesel Master

Send a message via MSN to matuva

suscribed to thread. Please do it
completely rebuilt 506 with gapless 2nd rings
and more ...

Last edited by matuva; 12-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerjpowell View Post
I'm planning on setting up a DIY multi gauge for my suburban and I figured I would post some information / pictures for anyone willing to help and / or try it out on their own.

The goal is to have an OLED display setup to show at least 4 sensor outputs at a time. The system will be standalone, but I may add the ability to handle some ALDL data and a USB port for data logging later.

The system will generally consists of:
- controller (PICAXE 40x2 microcontroller) and mother board components
- PICAXE configured 20 Character x 4 Line OLED display,
- Type K thermo couple,
- manifold absolute pressure sensor (I found one for an 01' duramax on rockauto for a discontinued AC Delco supplier for $25!),
- oil temp probe.

MOST of the work is going to go into controller design. The PICAXE system is relatively easy to program on, but you will need to construct the 'motherboard' before you can play with it.

Components the motherboard will need:
- A voltage regulator to go from whatever your vehicle happens to be running to 5 very steady volts. I believe you can use a 5v (PN 7805 at radio shack) I think I will be stacking a 12v regulator ahead of that (PN 7810T).
- Some hardware based noise reduction (especially for the thermo couple). Thermocouple outputs for K-Type (most diesel EGT probes are k-type) are in the -10 to 50 millivolt range and every wire surrounding it in the engine bay carries a voltage several orders of magnitude higher. Induced current in the cable could easily wipe out your EGT reading. There will probably be a single post later dedicated to this topic.

My suburban has an aftermarket radio installed, so I'm going to use the factory location to mount the LCD, a few dummy lights and two buttons to cycle through display configurations.

You can find all the parts listed above scattered around the web and some of them from site vendors (such as the individual sensors). I ordered my PICAXE parts from the original source in the UK and bought an extra of everything but the OLED (total was $110 shipped).
Prices are as follows:
PICAXE 40X2 microcontroller and mother board components - $30-50
PICAXE OLED - $46
Type K EGT probe - $60 shipped
MAP Sensor - $25-50
A couple common two wire coolant / engine oil temp sensors - $15 each

Project Total ~ 190-240

plus lots of time. I'm hoping that MY time can be substituted in place of your time and you can copy this system as desired.

I'm developing all of my own programs and circuit designs and will be releasing them for public use once they are polished up. I'm hoping to have the kit functioning sometime shortly after the new year (Jan 2013) God willing.

I'll post up the first pictures in a few weeks after all the parts are here and I've got some play time in with the PICAXE controller.

your atechy kinda guy i take it, good stuff! oled would make a overkill screen for some data to be displayed but hell itll look perty!, looking forward to pics and info to come!
1995 Chevy 2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel w/ intake restrictions removed . Diamond eye 4" exhaust straight piped, HX40W-II turbo with a K&N 4" pod ( temporary), ARP head studs & new heads, injectors w/ pop @ 2300 psi, Buddy "3" banger chip, VIN F, Currently running 20# boost
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
lolailando
Diesel Head

I would look into using the arduino platform. It is a newer/stronger opensource platform and really cheap and a much bigger support community...its kind of like linus of microcontrolers.
I was gona start a similar project but have too many on the list.
Look also into the odbII readers they cost $10-20 and you can read everything in your android phone with gauges etc...
I posted most of the info I found in this other forum:
http://***************.org/forum/index.php?topic=147.0
hope that helps you save a lot of development time. the software for the android phones is great
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
BDDiesel
Diesel Technician

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Subscribed
Airraid intake, Spray in boxliner
Step bars
Bakflip Tonneau
100,000km
Alberta Coal Roller Member #26
Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Working through the board layout right now. Most of the parts are here. I'm going to dedicate this post to MAP selection, since all the different models and lack of ANY pressure ratings from the parts houses has managed to confuse me more than I would have guessed.

If you decide to grab an OEM style MAP, use this site as a reference for any pressure sensors you choose (http://www.powerandsignal.com/Products/Pressure.aspx) and then go match up p/n's as necessary.

The part I purchased was incorrectly listed on rock auto as a correct part for a 6.6L duramax equipped vehicle (supposed to be 3.3 bar). Infact, its a 1 bar sensor (09359409 - 103 kPa / 1 bar / 14.9 psi absolute pressure). You will need atleast 2 bar, but I'm only listing the 3.3 and 3 bar options at this time.

Options:

1. P/N Delphi 16235939 or 09373269: 3.3 bar / 49 psi maximum absolute pressure or up to 35.7 psi of 'boost' pressure (this is the duramax part). Also p/n Auber-303 for similar model including harness.

2. P/N Delphi 12219935 or 12223861: 3 bar (up to 29 psi of boost pressure). Old GM Turbo f-body part. ***A VERY similar part can be found under the p/n Auber-103 with a harness for a very fair price. This is the one I selected for my application. Comes with the harness too.

Also, if you decide to do any other pressure sensors, that same brand has many types (up to 28 bar for transmission line pressure measurement!) and good datasheets on them as well.

Auber has the type K thermocouple you will need to measure EGT's. I paid more for mine than they are asking but it looks the same. :/

I'm going to try to make a common GM 3 wire oil pressure sender give me the fuel pressure readings I want.

Will work on the two wire coolant and trans temp sensors next. I'm hoping to use common GM two wire sensors there too...

Will update soon.
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
bshull
Diesel Fanatic

The Suburban Club Member

I am following! I am looking to replace my glowshift gauges.

I am considering this:

multiguage

I think it will work with most of the existing sensors.

I have also considered using a mini computer running GMTD scantech tied to a small touch screen.

Good luck and keep posting results!

Brian
1995 GMC Burb K1500, 3.42 gears Automatic, PMD relocated to front bumper, Ditech PMD, four inch warpspeed exhaust, crossover, three inch downpipe, Raptor-100 Lift Pump, Racor fuel filter, S&B air filter system, *** turbo, heath tune and a P400!

Last edited by bshull; 12-15-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

This multigauge won't look QUITE that pretty to start with, but it's fairly expandable. I'm just trying to get some units and numbers for now, and maybe a bar readout for boost / EGT. Dreaming of stepper motors with OEM looking needles and markings or full color AMEOLED touch screen... I think the easiest way to do that will be to add a blue tooth module so that it can stream live data to an android device for display and data logging.

Updates are coming!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Subbed in....
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Have a little update. I'm still waiting on MAX6675 chip to process the EGT thermo couple.
Have a couple sensors that I have calibrated under the IAT label shown. One is a two wire coolant temp sensor Master Pro PN 2-8296 (uses BWD connector PN PT191). The other is a 1 bar MAP AC Delco PN 213796. When the 3 bar MAP arrives, I just have to change a couple numbers in the code and it should read just like the 1 bar.

After sensor calibration I will finalize the circuit board and build the prototype for on vehicle testing. Looking at about 2 months before it can be easily copied. It will require a bit of soldering to assemble.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY OLED Gauge Panel - Work In Progress-102_2104.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.