Newbie with black smoke - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wik837
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Newbie with black smoke

I have a 97, I changed the lower intake gaskets last night I found that the old gaskets had a metal blocker over the egr port. Now since I changed them I'm getting a ton of black smoke at 3/4 or more throttle that won't go away, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

The most common reason for Black smoke is low boost. Doublecheck everything that you disturbed while doing the job, including vacuum lines, and anything pre-and post turbo that you may have disturbed.

If your vacuum system is still all original, the factory lines are notorious for becoming brittle and cracking, especially after they are disturbed by the sort of work that you performed. If you cracked a line or something is loose, the wastegate could be unable to properly close, which would result in low boost, which would explain the smoke.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wik837
Diesel Head

Ok I'll check it out Ty for the help
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wik837
Diesel Head

Well checked everything and it looks good the only thing I see that maybe suspect is if I put the waste gate all the way up it will snap back down half way and slowly lower the rest of the way down, is this normal?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

With the truck shut off it should be loose and gravitate towards where gravity takes it.

When the truck is running at idle the wastegate should be pulled firmly closed - if you have someone start the truck while you watch it ensure that it does this. Once it's been running for a few seconds you should NOT be able to push the wastegate open by hand while the truck idles - if you can, something, somewhere, is wrong.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wik837 View Post
I have a 97, I changed the lower intake gaskets last night I found that the old gaskets had a metal blocker over the egr port. Now since I changed them I'm getting a ton of black smoke at 3/4 or more throttle that won't go away, any ideas?
No truck info in your sig makes it hard to diagnose. Do you have a VIN S (EGR) or VIN F (no EGR) engine? If you replaced the lower intake gaskets for a VIN F with the gaskets for a VIN S... that's the problem. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wik837
Diesel Head

It's an s (vin) I believe it had f( vin) on them before I changed them. Can not move the wastegate after the truck is running. I'm gonna check to make sure it moves when the truck is started. Ty every one for the help and I will get the sig updated
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wik837 View Post
It's an s (vin) I believe it had f( vin) on them before I changed them. Can not move the wastegate after the truck is running. I'm gonna check to make sure it moves when the truck is started. Ty every one for the help and I will get the sig updated
The wastegate is NOT supposed to move with the truck running. The vacuum pump and WG solenoid is holding it closed like it should. The smoking problem is most likely a non-working EGR system. The previous owner apparently blocked off the manifold returns on purpose to eliminate it. Unless you put F VIN gaskets back on you'll have to restore the EGR system to operation or remove the EGR valve and block off the EGR port in the upper intake. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes

Last edited by FloridaHorseman; 11-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

If it has an egr port, then it is an s vin.

If you remove the blocker, you have to add the egr equipment back in there which I suspect was removed when they block it which is 2 EGR solenoid and a vacuum line. Otherwise, you will have black smoke. So, you may want to block them again and see if the smoke goes away.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dmaxftw
Diesel Enthusiast

So just wondering why would you want to unblock the EGR if its already blocked? I believe blocking it increases fuel mileage? correct me if im wrong.
BFG M/Ts

Waiting for the New body style to release before i purchase my new Duramax powered Denali HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.