Question: Chevy Silverado K2500 6.5L TD 4X4 4L80E Trans Problems: No O/D ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
darthtater
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Chevy Silverado K2500 6.5L TD 4X4 4L80E Trans Problems: No O/D ?

Okay well my truck has a 4 speed 4L80E transmission that does not have overdrive. For awhile it would shift in O/C at around 45mph then at 50mph it would downshift into 3rd and you would have to restart the truck for it to work. Now it is completely gone. No O/D what so ever. I know it's and electrical problem because the fluid is clean and smells fine and all the bands are okay. The only hardware I would be concerned about would be the solenoids but I think that these are okay. So things I have done already (in order):

1) Replaced the brake switch
2) Replaced the TPS
3) Checked the VSS (it is good)

Okay now that all this is done, every time I clear the codes out of the computer as soon as I turn the key, it throws DTC 22 (Low TPS Voltage). This is the only code on the ECM. I put the new one exactly where the old one was and I read that it will be off if you do this. So first off, how do I adjust it? I know they are adjustable but I never figured out how to reliably do this the RIGHT way. And also, if I fixed this would I have O/D back? Any other suggestions to fix this? Someone said it could be the ECM, (wouldn't doubt it), but before I spend hours tracking this down (already tried, they're rarer then hens teeth), or spend $500 on one from a dealership I would like to try some other things first.

All help is appreciated!

~Tater
Upgraded Mechanical Injector Pump
Upgraded Heads (Nickel Plated, Bigger Bore)
Motor overhaul less then 20K miles ago
Nexen AT II 16" 10 Ply Tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtater View Post

1) Replaced the brake switch
2) Replaced the TPS
3) Checked the VSS (it is good)

Okay now that all this is done, every time I clear the codes out of the computer as soon as I turn the key, it throws DTC 22 (Low TPS Voltage). This is the only code on the ECM. I put the new one exactly where the old one was and I read that it will be off if you do this. So first off, how do I adjust it? I know they are adjustable but I never figured out how to reliably do this the RIGHT way...
Loosen the TPS retaining screws and rotate the TPS either toward the radiator or toward the firewall a little bit at a time (I sold my '93 so can't go out and confirm the direction). But the correct direction is turning it against the TPS internal spring that interlocks with the throttle linkage. Just bump it about 1/4 inch each time and see if your shift points change. If it starts getting stuck in third gear you're turning it the wrong way. If you get no change at all turning it in either direction then check the TPS wiring and engine grounds. If you still get the DTC 22 it may be a faulty TCM but they're pretty hearty since they don't do much. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
darthtater
Diesel Fanatic

I will do this either on Thursday or next Monday and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joeairforce
Gone Crazy... Back soon..

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Or instead of guessing like suggested above... You can adjust it properly with a multimeter...

GM 4L80E Reference Material and FAQ's.

loosen the 2 bolts just enough to be able to move it and adjust it to the proper voltage as mentioned in this post.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NSMC Life Member (National Street Machine Club)
Air force Veteran (7 years 6/01-5/08)

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
bigblazer
Diesel Technician

Also check your coolant sensor, if the ecm doesnt see at least 175 degrees your o/d wont work.
94 Chevy blazer. 929 block, hd 4l80e, pmd relocated in bumper, #9 resister, ssd "80" hp chip, gm8 with DIY boost controller now 18psi, 3 down tube 4" straight pipe 5" tip, k&n cone, optic bump, kennedy injectors, boost/egt/trans/oil pres/water temp gauges, 3 core aluminum radiator w/dual fans, 98 "h.o" w/p with restricters installed, cowl hood. 4.10s in 14b semi floater, 35 firestone m/ts 8" rough country lift 3" body lift. Dos cientos quatro whp As of 2/21/13 thats all she's gonna put out!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sergeant Dudz
Resident 2 Stroke Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazer View Post
Also check your coolant sensor, if the ecm doesnt see at least 175 degrees your o/d wont work.
Thats why OD doesnt kick in as early in the colder mornings on the freeway. Thats a awesome piece of info I was starting to worry about my tranny. Thanks for the piece of mind Blazer.
A Team Turbo
Flo-Pro Exhaust
Holly Blue Lift Pump 10PSI
Vac Pump Delete (99.5" 6 Groove belt)

ATTENTION: Owners with cars that have chrome accents from autozone, please remove your self from the gene pool.

-Dudz
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
bigblazer
Diesel Technician

Yup thats why.but i dont see an app not actuating overdrive.but its easy to test anyways.usually if theres a problem it will trip the light and drop to idle with zero peddle Response .
94 Chevy blazer. 929 block, hd 4l80e, pmd relocated in bumper, #9 resister, ssd "80" hp chip, gm8 with DIY boost controller now 18psi, 3 down tube 4" straight pipe 5" tip, k&n cone, optic bump, kennedy injectors, boost/egt/trans/oil pres/water temp gauges, 3 core aluminum radiator w/dual fans, 98 "h.o" w/p with restricters installed, cowl hood. 4.10s in 14b semi floater, 35 firestone m/ts 8" rough country lift 3" body lift. Dos cientos quatro whp As of 2/21/13 thats all she's gonna put out!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
darthtater
Diesel Fanatic

Are you serious blazer.... -.- . My dad put a 160 thermostat in it because it overheated and cracked the heads....that explains a lot. geez lol. I'll buy a factory 190 at auto zone tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks a ton! I'll keep you guys posted
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Master

The stock thermostat should hopefuly fix your problem. A 160 degree thermostat will not pervent overheating. It will just make your engine run cooler than it should. With the hotter stock thermostat you might even get a little better fuel MPG.

Earth First!!! We will mine the rest of the planets later.

1998 GMC K1500 6.5 66000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears.
Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support
KOJO tune WOW !
Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast
K&N filter
Ported, gasket matched upper intake.
New Bosch injectors. flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 BFG AT summer tires.
12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTswinter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.

Last edited by Tommygunner; 11-02-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
bigblazer
Diesel Technician

Installing a cooler stat wont stop overheating.it actually can cause more overheating.160 is way to cool for a diesel.even in a gasser 160 causes oil to sludge really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.