where is the best place to relocate the pmd - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pruittx2
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Pruittx2

I wouldn't risk any less air, getting to the radiator/cooling stack. If you look inside a bumper hole, either side,, you'll see a black horizontal plastic shield. It keeps the air coming in those holes, going up towards the cooling stack. I drilled 4 holes in that, and sat my heat sink on top of that, and zip tied it into place. Works for me. It's out of the danger zone of flying debris. Does it's job, and will work.

1995 GMC SLT Suburban 147,000 miles
Buddy Super chip, 4" exhaust, FTB Mod, Bosch Injectors, GU6-G80, 4x4 Posi-Lok,
Killer PMD Cooler FS PMD #9, Duraterm Glows, TurboMaster, K-47 airbox
Remote Start/Alarm system, D-max fan New Mod'd clutch
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
outalne94z71
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to outalne94z71 Send a message via MSN to outalne94z71 Send a message via Yahoo to outalne94z71

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
I know in theory its weather resistant but I wonder about getting direct water. I suppose if the PMD is on the back the sync will shield it.

No concern about lack of airflow say while you are stuck in traffic on a hot day on blacktop? I know it will be warm under the hood at that point also but you at least have the fan or fuel flow. Or dont they run that warm at idle?
mine has been submerged in water, works just fine
Proud member #727 of The 3500 Dually Club
bouncingtrucks.com for the original bouncing truck avatars
98 Gmc Sierra Victory Red K3500 Crewcab SLE dually 6.5td(F) fresh 4l80e 4:10 gears fresh gm-8 turbo,3" exhaust from turbo to muffler (no cat),new crate motor with new ip , bumper relocated fsd with hucksdorf diesel heatsink.

88 chevy k2500 7200gvw(short box conversion from long),18" lift 1 ton axle swap(ford d60 with chevy outers) 14 bolt rear with disks and detroit,rather large hunk of iron to power it on gas(currently building a short deck 572), divorced 205 t-case behind a th400 and rollin on cut 44" swamper tsl front goodyear ag 21.5 x16.1 14 ply rear, straight 3" pipe from ceramic long tubes to 5" stacks to make your ears bleed, OFF ROAD USE ONLY
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
wallyworld
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
Looks fine.
You might want to make a shim from a piece of small pipe and turn it around so the PMD is behind the heatsink but it's not mandatory.
I'm leery of that as I'd think vibration would break the bolt after awhile even with the short spacer in there. I would think it would cool better like though as more air could go thru the fins. Might have to get a longer bolt and do that.Still have the grill off so it would be easy
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pruittx2
Diesel Master

The heat sink, is not active cooling or require air flow. This mod works mostly just not being in the engine compartment, and not soaking in the 200F+ engine bay temps. Heat soaks IN a heat sink, as much as it flows heat Out of the PMD. That's why the Manifold mount is worse than the IP.

I have drove my truck over 3hr's in 90F+ temps, and reached in my bumper area to find that the heat sink/PMD were no hotter then the bumper it self. IE direct air flow, helps you None! Just my $.02

Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
wallyworld
Diesel Technician

If the heat sinks isn't active in cooling why have it?

I turned mine around with a pipe nipple in behind to hold the PMD off radiator bracket. The grille covers it and the heat sink covers it.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pruittx2
Diesel Master

what I meant is,, it don't need to be in any air flow,,, it draws heat out on it's own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement