|Register||FAQ||Forum Rules||My Replies||My Threads||Mark Forums Read||Auto Escrow||Auto Loans||Insurance|
|6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components.|
|03-26-2012, 11:55 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: canton IL
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
6.5 stalls after warm and restarts
1. It Starts great and runs normal until it gets warm and then dies ,starts right back up but runs only a min. and dies over and over until you let it cool off again
5. 1500 .
6. It origanally had EGR but we un hooked it years ago
7. Air Filter good condition.
8. Fuel filter condition :New after problem arised
9. Location of PMD/FSD: remote mounted 6 months old mounted next to air box on a heat sinc.
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness : purchased from a vender on ebay 5 years and 50 k miles ago
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire:unknown
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). ____50F_ °
11. Service Engine Light while running: on intermittent
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No
12.Have you scanned for engine codes :No
12a. List exact results on engine codes.
13. Condition of Battery terminals:removed, cleaned and tightened.
14. Known condition and age of Batteries.: i year old
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age :yes
15. Condition of Major Grounds :removed, cleaned and tightened
16. Does engine crank, or "turn over :yes
16a. Does engine start and run:yes
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on"yes
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit:normal
19. Engine Cranking speed :normal
20. Are you experiencing Stalling:yes
20a. Describe the event :only after warm up it stalls and restarts only runs a min and restalls
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments:no
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions:none
22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
23. Lift pump test - Describe results :Lift pump works good
24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly: No
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke:No
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts:No
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order:yes
29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke:No
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues:no
31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: , #2 Diesel
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives:none
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank:No
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having:we have replaced the long block 2 years ago and lift pump and pmd
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better: aftermarket lift pump on firewall and unhooked egr
Jared S Yocum
2001 duramax 4x4 w/210,000mi,1995 2 door tahoe 4x4 6.5
|03-26-2012, 05:00 PM||#2 (permalink)|
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shelton, CT
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Given that it is heat related, it does sound like a PMD type issue. You are running the remote PMD thru a harness right now; can you eliminate the harness temporarily and see if the truck runs longer that before? Do you have another PMD to try (aka. PMD still mounted to injection pump that may be good still)?
Since yours is a 1995, I think you can pull codes by jumpering connectors on the ALDL port. Check the FAQ sections for details on this, and see if you can pull any codes.
1997 Chevy Suburban K1500 - 6.5TD, 4" SSD Exhaust, SSD FSD Heat Sink mounted behind bumper, 3 gauge pod (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp), HE351VE currently with VGT control (peak 15-18psi using Ford wastegate actuator), Water-to-Air intercooler, Heath GL4 ECU
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.0l, custom 6" full long arm suspension, 34" LTB's, high clearance skid/x-member, 02+ WJ knuckles and brakes w/ OTK steering, ARB bumper w/ 9k lb Superwinch winch, york OBA, ARB locked front HP30, Aussie locked 8.8 rear
1988 Jeep Wrangler - 2.0l turbo Saab engine, T5 trans, 231 transfer case
1986 Saab 900 Turbo - 2.0 turbocharged with 2.1l heads and intake, tweaked APC for ~18psi boost, BFG G-Force Sport tires
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero - Stock, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 summer times for stupid good grip
|08-07-2012, 10:17 AM||#3 (permalink)|
Join Date: Mar 2010
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This sounds like same problem I have on my 1996 Chevy p30 goshen bus. I just picked it up cheap cause when it warms up it starts spewing white smoke and running rough and dies.
I replaced fuel filter unit with one that doesn't leak air , am running it out of a fresh diesel can wit d2 and a new lift pump. Tried a different pmd. Brand new glow plugs and relay make it start up great and run smooth with no smoke. Then like clockwork after it gets to about 160 or 180 degrees it starts running rough and spewing white smoke. Let it cool down and fires up and runs smooth again.
Jared did you ever find your problem?
|08-07-2012, 10:31 AM||#4 (permalink)|
You know even though you have remote the location of PMD, that is just a neighbor. LOL!! It is still hot inside the hood when the engine is shut.
With that in mind, you may want to test a KNOWN GOOD PMD.
As you said, the LP is running when engine is running so that is good.
1995 GMC Suburban:
PMD in Bumper
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Engine Stalls - No fuel to Filter - Let sit and restarts||BGinCT||6.5L Diesel Engine||18||01-06-2010 10:22 AM|
|stalls and restarts?||bgrams76||6.5L Diesel Engine||3||11-04-2009 07:21 PM|
|Need help 1993 350 Gas Suburban stalls once warm||rmay635703||GM Gassers||12||09-21-2008 04:14 PM|
|stalls on warm start||someone||6.5L Diesel Engine||15||08-18-2008 09:23 PM|
|Starts fine, then stalls 1/2 second later... but restarts fine||musclecarboy||Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)||3||07-05-2008 04:27 PM|