Diesel Place banner

code P1216....

33K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  squawskier1080 
#1 ·
Our haul truck is randomly stalling and won't restart. other times it will run fine until you reach a destination, then will not restart once turned off.

I found code P1216 stored in the history codes... Guess a new/reman IP is our future. comments, suggestions, ideas and personal experience are welcomed.

#2 ·
I would try a new PMD first.
it is a good policy to have a PMD/resistor heatsink combo on hand as a spare with a 6' extension harness to relocate it outside the engine bay.

If it does not solve the problem you are not out very much money and have some piece of mind when away from home.

Often it will cure your symptoms,if not a new IP might be in order-I just prefer to do the lower cost option first.

#3 ·
yeah... we swapped PMD's several weeks ago. I found the P1216 code buried in history codes, but it doesn't tell me when it was set. It could be an old code from the previous PMD or it could be a new code from the recently installed PMD, just not sure.

I guess what I am confused about is what the PMD actually controls. Fault code P1216 is "Fuel Solenoid response time too short" and according to the Service manual, its either a faulty IP, faulty PCM or short/open in the wiring.

I am happy to swap PMDs, but will it actually solve the problem? which part is the Fuel Solenoid and where is it located? is it an external part on the IP, or is it an internal/integral part of the IP and does the PMD control the solenoid via the PCM?

#4 ·
AH HA... PMD is also called a FSD (fuel solenoid driver). that answers that question.

and with that, I think I know why we got code P1216 set. my father in law installed the stock PMD with a #4 resistor, the truck previously had known good used PMD on it with a #9 resistor. it appears the PCM learns the resistor readings and stores it, so it was looking for readings from the #9.
it would make sense to me going from a #9 resistor to a #4 and not re-learning the PCM would cause a code P1216.

quote from Kennedy Diesel;

"Due to the fact that the engine computer looks up and stores this information indefinitely, ANY adjust on the fly fuel controller will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Aside from that, with a range of 4 steps above the std #5 combined with a .5mm change in fuel delivery you can only get a 2mm increase which is quite insignificant"

Now that I have the DTC problem figured out... what the hell is causing the truck to stall/not restart !!!!

:confused:

#5 ·
Again stalling and no restart or no hot start is often a faulty PMD or extension harness.

Air in fuel will also cause similar problems especially if the lift pump is not operating.

Does the truck start fine when cold?

An intermittant problem with the fuel solenoid on the back of the IP can also cause your problem.

Even a worn out IP can cause these troubles.

Where is the PMD located on your truck-the ip,the intake or other remote mounted location?

Have you tried pouring room temp water over the IP housing during a no start condition?

If water helps it is because the water cools the housing and closes up the tolerances and the IP is wore out.
If the PMD is still mounted on the IP the water may also be cooling the PMD and helping correct a bad internal connection also.

A bad ignition switch can also cause this problem,the current flow through the set of contacts that powers the ECM and instrument cluster can create a lot of heat that lets the connection open if there is high resistance and cause a stall no restart.

#6 ·
Truck starts fine when cold (recent GP relay and 8 AC Delco GPs)

PMD is currently mounted in stock location, however we are considering moving it to front bumper.

Ignition switch was replace about a month ago... didn't solve the problem.

when the truck will no start... the wait to start light does NOT come on, I do NOT hear the electric pump on the frame rail come on and the fuel gauge needle turns rapidly, 360 degrees, on the dash.

I would assume it is some sort of electric issue, but have no clue where to start or what to check.

I have verified all the grounds are clean and bolted down correctly. the OPS was replaced with new AC Delco unit about a year ago.

#7 ·
I think you need to check all the grounds.

There is a ground point on the back near the firewal to the passenger side of the Fuel filter. That is where all the internal instruments are grounded.

Of course, PMD in stock location is always a culprit. They don't last that long when it is in there. Moving it outside will not revive it, either. It is best to just get a new one with heatsink, extension cable and resistor, then fasten it outside the hood. The old one can stay wherever it is. It is a non-mechanical part, so it does not have to rotate or move.

Now, it can still fail even if it is outside, though. Quality of parts are erratic nowadays, so hopefully you get a good one.

I would have thought that OPS should not be an issue in a 98, but the LP can still fail. You have to test it!!!

#8 ·
Yes, I have taken all the grounds apart and cleaned them 3 times. the lift pump was replaced less than 2 yrs ago, but my father in law put a new one one 2 weeks ago, anyway.

Debating on getting a PMD relocation kit from Kennedy or Heath

#12 ·
yeah, I leaning toward the Heath kit.... $50 more for a much better warranty

Kennedy advertises 1 yr warranty on PMD and cable.

#13 ·
Yes, I am certain its a power or ground problem effecting the gauge(s) but I am not sure if its the same problem that is causing the stalling/no start. additionally, I am not able to pin-point the cause that's causing the fuel gauge to act "funky" at random.

Ignition switch is a BWD replacement.

#11 ·
I hate to say it but gm replaced my IP under warranty for a 1216.

#14 ·
That's excellent.... but my truck is far out of warranty, otherwise it would be at the GM dealership.

#16 · (Edited)
with the passenger side inner fender removed, I found the ground cable from back of the engine block to the frame rail was very corroded and partially cut. I replaced it.

The injection pump finally failed last summer. The truck went into an over speed condition where it suddenly accelerated then the engine died and would not restart, we retrieved an overspeed trouble code from the PCM along with an optical sensor code(s). I believe the IP was the problem all along. we replaced it with a reman IP from Pensacola Diesel and it hasn't stalled once since then.

#17 ·
is any of these IP's under warranty still? i thought i read the other day 11 years?

#18 ·
Hmm, I'll have to double check the wiring. Hoping it's not the IP, truck has 140,000 miles on it and the pump was replaced at 40,000 under warranty (by previous ownder)

IP not under warranty, truck is 16 years old

Thanks for the quick replay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.