Diesel Place banner

Tow PCM from Heath Diesel...

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  drtydeed 
#1 ·
Hey guys,we just did headstuds and gaskets on my BILs 6.5 duelly,we just discovered the wastegate whatever it's called on the turbo is bad,we were thinking about doin the manual controller and a tow pcm from Heath Diesel,does the Heath diesel PCMs have a good rep,is it a good safe investment,are they worth the money,....Thoughts....Thanks..

#3 ·
Heath has a lot of experience with the 6.5. I've bought two tunes from him. Yeah, they are expensive, but he's just trying to pay for his R&D program (and probably his high speed racing equipment too).

Jake

#5 ·
well have tow program from Heath and very happy with it we had send back few times to get just right set for what i tow but he was good about making it right

Now pull 16,500 + lbs 5th Wheel with stock program i was lucky if could do 60mph down the run with out over heating and with Heath tow program i am pulling at 75 to 80 mph and about 9 mpg

#6 ·
Heath paid for his program development a long time ago. Someone who starts to mass produce could also make the money. At some point, technology development is set aside for production. I don't believe anyone is obligated to lower prices, but volume also has it's way of paying. The 6.5' are hitting the scrap yards now, and it's time for upgrades to reflect that. For instance, look at the price tag on the selectable programmer. 100 dollars more for multiple tunes, and more work to the ecm. Old technology should at some point turn into high volume production.

#7 ·
In this case, it does NOT turn into high volume productions. As you said the 6.5 is hitting the scrap yard.

#8 ·
If the price is reasonable, ($75.00), guys who wouldn't spend the money otherwise will. That opens up a mark sector that is locked up right now. All the other performance parts for the 6.5 are getting cheaper (4 inch exhaust, manifolds, turbos, ip's, etc.). prom's are not breakthrough technology at this stage of the game. At least for obd1, new chips are around 3 bucks, and can be mailed for a couple more dollars. It would be interesting to do a poll on here to see how many guys who either don't have performance chips, or guys who would like alternative tunes would buy more chips in the 50-75 dollar price range. I'll bet it would pay for a sharp programmer to spend the money on a westers setup to crank them out. Shoot, they could sell on the online auction sites for the same prices as the scamm fake ones. Just saying....and hoping.......I will not pay $350 for a 6.5 prom. There are all different kinds of people out there, but I'm not the only one like me. I'm not trying to argue, just presenting an alternative vantage point.

#10 ·
can't beat it. I've towed from redding ca, to Houston down to McAllen and now on my way to Durango. I baby the engine, with no more than 13 psi sustained boost on hills, but I can pull all day long at 65 on the flats. towing a 36 foot fifth wheel. just cleaned my radiator and now I can tow when it's hot out,

I thing if I had a newer engine with stronger head bolts and the like I could prolly pull 60mph up hills, as it is, I limit it to 50 or slower spending on the hill.

#11 ·
I have been wanting a egr delet prom for 3 years. But I just can't spend that much. I really don't like that I have just put some where between 1500/1700. I had no choice for that because it wasn't running and it was cheaper to fix than replace. But when it is running it is hard to part with money for a chip.

But if they werent so high I would get at least 1.

#12 ·
All I can say is you get what you pay for. Heath programming is top notch, customer service is great, and they always take care of you. Remember, its not JUST the programming you are paying for. $350 is more than fair. Go price out performance upgrades for Ford and Dodge trucks of the same vintage.

In my opinion, its time for the cheap people to quit expecting the aftermarket to whore out their products.

#14 ·
Or for $200 bucks, you can get a six pack performance chip. This brings up the question? Would one of these plug into our trucks with our chips. This is the kind of improvement we need to be seeing, and we need to get to where diyers are burning chips and sharing info, not just having it locked up by the businesses. There will always be the market share for the companies, but they are in a different camp than most of the guys on this forum. Again, that's my opinion, and I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just Sayin.... Also NOT SAYING that the different companies aren't right to charge whatever they want. There should just be alternatives, that's the American way.

#15 ·
Also, there is less variation in the engine builds (I know there is some variation) than in a small block buildup. It is much easier to configure the 6.5, ie. gear ratio, factory or custom turbo, manual or automatic, etc. At 2-3 buck a prom you could burn and stock hundres of them without much expense. I think there is a money niche for anyone willing to take the time to do the programming. If 15 of us would chip in $100 for the equipment, a smart programmer could give us some more options. I'd get in a test pool for $100 bucks.

#16 ·
To clarify, I don't believe that Heath, Westers, Kennedy, or anyone else are obliged to sell for less than they desire. I also know that neither I nor anyone else have to buy their products. Throwing epithets like "cheap" and blasting me for wanting to be more involved in programming myself and for wanting a shareware community is bad-spirited and creates a straw-man argument. It's not just cheapness, it's options and the fun of being able to modify more and to help the guys who choose to drive old trucks be able to open up more potential for our "cheap" trucks.

#17 ·
I spoke to the guys at Westers and for OBDII there is simply not room in the ECM for multi program chips to be added.

I am not sure how buddy makes the 6 gun setup for OBD1 but from what I hear it is an excellent product.

I hope buddy gets an opportunity to apply his know how to the OBDII system.

#27 ·
Sorry to have missed this thread earlier. I had the GLE (Now the T series MaxETorque for Towing) set up and absolutely couldn't believe the difference. Truck felt like it was 1500lbs lighter when empty. Climbed hills like a mountain goat and picked up a little MPG when "happy foot" settled down. I don't tow much but with an older truck, didn't want the Performance tune as I was and am still wary about stressing the engine. Anyway, that was early in 2010 when Bill had his tunes done for him. As of August he does each tune in house, individually, and the more time one spends talking to Bill about what they want the truck to do and how they drive it, the better the tune will be. Call him, interview and enjoy the ride.

#20 ·
I wonder about chips too. In fact, I wonder if I have an upgraded chip. I noticed my truck doesn't defuel and give me a SES light until somewhere on the far side of 14 psi boost. Shouldn't this happen much sooner with stock programming?

#22 ·
I believe it's possible. So anyway, when it doesn't happen, you can rub it in. If I get to where I need it I'll care more. For whatever reason, my old '94 pulls like a beast without one, and isn't much worse than my friends with the chips. I have 4:11s and the cooling mods, etc. Anyway, I'll pay for hard parts, but not old technology burned into a 3 dollar chip.

#23 ·
1994 6.5 2500 installed the wrong pump professional help please

injection pump went out, diesel shop couldn't find the pump number, so i got the vin # and called gm,, said it was a 5068 pump,, ordered and had pump installed,, it was hard to start and tons of black smoke,, asked to see the old pump found the pump #,, 5288,, what can i do.. don't want to pay for another pump or installation, someone said i might could change out the prom for a 5068 any help out there,, heard this is the place to get answers.:cool:

#29 ·
injection pump went out, diesel shop couldn't find the pump number, so i got the vin # and called gm,, said it was a 5068 pump,, ordered and had pump installed,, it was hard to start and tons of black smoke,, asked to see the old pump found the pump #,, 5288,, what can i do.. don't want to pay for another pump or installation, someone said i might could change out the prom for a 5068 any help out there,, heard this is the place to get answers.:cool:
:huh: Should this be moved to a new thread? Chrisdaniels, I think you'd get more attention if this was posted as a new thread/question. Maybe the mods can move it.

#28 ·
If anyone knows of a used or cheaper version of the Heath Performance PM me. I just ordered tow mirrors on flebay with heat, power and led and now I want to do the PCM, I can't justify a $450 purchase for one though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.