1996 chevy silverado 6.5 td surging and stalling - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
bhouldey
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to bhouldey

1996 chevy silverado 6.5 td surging and stalling

Hi I have a 1996 silverado 6.5 TD with 370,000 on it pmd has been relocated to inner wheel well 3 years ago. truck starts and idles well. during acceleration it randomly surges and stalls and takes 30 seconds or so before it will start back up. then it runs fine for a while and does it again, I have done the lift pump test and i have a steady stream of fuel coming out of the hose attached to the t valve when valve is open frequancy of stalling is getting worse, Any advice would be greatful for any advice thanks Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

The Suburban Club Member

Moved to 6.5 engine forum.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Stalling is most often PMD related but not always.

A much better location for the PMD is outside the engine bay since temperature swings are a factor for thier longevity.

It may help to get you the right information if you were to copy and paste the diagnostic checklist to your next reply with the appropriate answers filled in and the tests done.
Relocated PMD/Heatsink to Front Bumper #9 Resistor
K-47 Standard Duty AC Air Filter And K-47 Housing
Kennedy special calibration fan clutch/Kennedy 20" steel fan
LeroyDiesel.com oil cooler kit
Diamond Eye 4" turbo back exhaust
2 1/2" crossover
High Idle Mod
Feed The Beast 2.0
EGT,Boost gauges
Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
Stalling is most often PMD related but not always.

A much better location for the PMD is outside the engine bay since temperature swings are a factor for thier longevity...
I've seen all the recommendations for moving the PMD outside the engine bay and understand the reasoning behind them. But I too have mounted the PMD & heat sink on the inner wheel well with good success. It's on a L bracket just under the driver side battery tray, where it gets solid air flow from the fan air deflected off the front of the engine. Even in 90F+ Florida temps I can place my hand on the PMD without getting burned. Make no mistake, it's very warm. Those transistors are whoppers! But I don't like the idea of the PMD connector and the PMD itself being close to road debris and road spray with bumper or grill mounting. 40k and over a year in the wheel well position and so far so good.

And the surging problem suggests to me the IP pistons are becoming worn and not supplying consistent pressure to the injectors. ~FH

Last edited by FloridaHorseman; 05-24-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: omission
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bison
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouldey View Post
Hi I have a 1996 silverado 6.5 TD with 370,000 on it pmd has been relocated to inner wheel well 3 years ago. truck starts and idles well. during acceleration it randomly surges and stalls and takes 30 seconds or so before it will start back up. then it runs fine for a while and does it again, I have done the lift pump test and i have a steady stream of fuel coming out of the hose attached to the t valve when valve is open frequancy of stalling is getting worse, Any advice would be greatful for any advice thanks Brad
You could've air coming in pre LP.
Do the clear IP return tube.
To be sure adequate fuel reaches the IP,fuel pressure should be taken at the IP inlet.

PMD is always suspect.
Other mods, to nummerous to mention.
95 GMC SL 2500 6.5td ext cab sh box auto, 409.000 km,CDR vented to atmosfeer at 307 k, remote pmd, extra glow bypass/LP test switch, relocated OPS ,in cab fuel gauge .High idle switch,new paint.Foot dimmer swich for simultaniously high/low beam. The Wife's pride and joy.
89 GMC 2500 sle 4x4 ext cab 6.2 na stock 740000+ km, engine rebuilt at 660000 km, rusting out now, but runs like new.
Waldon Wheelloader repowered with 6.2 na.
3 tractors dsl ,72 AC 940 whj loader,ASV 4810 Positrack skidsteer

Last edited by Bison; 05-24-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

x3 with PMD. It is always a suspect with any stalling regardless of its location.

Surging is also a sign of something bad with the IP.
Unfortunately, that is an expensive part so we want to eliminate the cheap ones first before condemning the IP.

But check for all other things first like electricals, etc.

Sounds like LP have been tested, which eliminate one issue.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive

Last edited by JMJNet; 05-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.