Diesel Place banner

Harmonic Balancer

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  grem 
#1 ·
My truck has a clunking kind of nose when I shut it off. I've noticed it is getting louder as time goes on and even noticed it once or twice when starting the truck. I"m pretty sure the problem is my harmonic balancer. My question is how hard it is it to change out the harmonic balancer and crank pulley ? I don't have the puller, but I can get one at Harbor Freight relatively cheap. How do I keep the engine from turning over when removing and installing the balancer ??

#2 ·
not a hard job,can be done on a Saturday, and the Harbor freight pullers are junk I used one whne I changed by balancer and broke two of them, justto warn you. pull your radiator while your at it and clean behind it you will be glad you did when you see what is in there.

#3 ·
How hard is it to change ? How do you keep the motor from turning over when tightening the bolts.

#4 ·
To keep the motor from turning over when you go to tighten the bolts ill stick a tire tool against a flexplate tooth and wedge it against the frame. Always seemed to do the trick.

#5 ·
Just replaced the balancer and pulley on mine about a week ago. Going by my definition of a hard or easy job, it was easy. Plenty of room to work with even without removing the radiator (I just didn't have time, it's probably a good idea like mentioned). As far as remover and installer, I rented those from Autozone...kinda junky but worked just fine. A good idea I saw for keeping it from spinning was running a ratchet strap around it down to the frame below somehow. I have access to an impact so, there was no need for any of that. Oh, and replace the crank seal while your at it too, only a few more dollas.

#6 ·
Looks like I can handle this job myself. Just placed the order with Rockauto for the pulley and balancer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.