sign of a bad turbo or wastegate or actuator - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
lifteddiesel
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

sign of a bad turbo or wastegate or actuator

im sure its been asked but when i search it i can not find it....... how can i tell if my turbo or waste gate or my wastegate actuator is bad..... i replaced the vac pump and the boost solenoid but still only getting 5psi at full throttle... i was getting 12psi before the vac pump went south... any help would be great before i take a baseball bat to the tahoe....

mods.. 7inch lift, 35inch tires, tinted windows, lots of stuff.. running 12 psi always.... with my little secrets .... llol........ lots more to come. want to do a sas swap somtime and put a huge lift on it and paint it up into a rolling tribute to the men and woman in the service...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

Check the lines first.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Master

I agree with JMJNet, check all them lines. Doesn't take much to inadvertantly kink or crack these cheapo plastic vacuum lines, they tend to get stiff and brittle with age..

Checks with engine off;
-Check all vacuum lines, connections, fittings. Ensure there are no vacuum leaks, kinks, cracks, splits, obstructions and/or restrictions.. This includes checking the sections that are routed in protective covering and/or under the intake.
-Check that the vacuum lines are routed properly. The VP (source) always plugs into the most forward port of the soleniod(s), while the rear most ports then supply there perspective device(s). For EGR models, EGR1 solenoids rear port supplies EGR2 solenoids front port.
-Disconnect vacuum line from WGA, apply aprox 20" vacuum to the WGA. Check that WGA lever is fully retracted, holding firm, and not losing any vacuum.

Checks with engine idling;
- Check for a minimum of 20" of vacuum at the WGS front most port.
- Check for a minimum of 15" vacuum at the WGA.
- Check that the WGA lever is fully retracted and holding firm.

Did you recycle or replace the main rubber hose coming directly off VP?
If recycled, might want to check the condition of that rubber hose and where it connects to the orange'ish OEM main plastic vacuum line.
#723 3500 Dually Club
Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
lifteddiesel
Diesel Technician

great info guys... but i still cant find any bad lines... i found 1 right at the wga and fixed it but still only 5psi.... im really good at fixing problems but this has me stumped.

mods.. 7inch lift, 35inch tires, tinted windows, lots of stuff.. running 12 psi always.... with my little secrets .... llol........ lots more to come. want to do a sas swap somtime and put a huge lift on it and paint it up into a rolling tribute to the men and woman in the service...........
Old 03-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Master

GM diagnosed "bad turbo" and wanted nearly $2000.00 to fix the intermittent SES and DTC 78. They assured me they had checked all the vacuum lines, vacuum pump, WGS, WGA, etc and for sure the turbo was bad.... Frankly, I still didn't believe 'em, and took it home to check it all over myself.
Inside 10 minutes of getting it home, I quickly found BOTH the main vacuum line (orangish plastic line) supplying the WGS and the vacuum line supplying the WGA (black plastic line) had been (both appeared) pinch'd and cracked right above the brand new IP that GM installed weeks before. Hmm, how'd that happen?? Give ya one guess..
Anyhow, spent maybe $25.00 on new vacuum lines, misc fittings and what nots, and the turbo charger miraculously fix'd itself. No more intermittent SES or DTC 78. Go figure...

FWIW. My vacuum leaks were well consealed, hidden by the protective covers.. They held vacuum, until I tugged slightly on the vacuum lines and noticed the vacuum gauge quickly drop'd off.
I'd suggest removing the old lines (from the vehicle and protective covering) and visually inspect every inch. Dont be to concerned with breaking them in the process, if they do happen to break, they likely needed to be replaced anyhow.
Did you verify the VP output?
I'll ask again, did you recycle or replace the main rubber hose connecting the vacuum pump to the hard plastic line? If recycled, you may want to R&R that hose as its likely dryrotted.
Seriously.. You must be thorough when troubleshooting, otherwise you might as well take it to GM.

Good Luck..
#723 3500 Dually Club
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
lifteddiesel
Diesel Technician

ill check again on all the lines..... i even took them off and blocked one end off and blew in it to see if it was holding air....... i can hear the wgs making a ticking noise is that normal. and i just used the old rubber hose from the old vp. i checked it out and it looked newer and no cracks or anything..... i have noticed that sometimes going up hill the truck will switch gears and the turbo will makes a strange chewww sound(letting air out) and it will shift hard when it does that...

Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

Another weak point is the actuator itself. The diaphragm in there may be torn.

Have you made sure that the Vacuum pump creates vacuum?

You need a vacuum gauge with the lines connected and measure the vacuum one section at a time?

It can also be a bad solenoid?
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive

Last edited by JMJNet; 03-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
lifteddiesel
Diesel Technician

i have a vac gauge but its a older one. at the vp its making 20psi.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Master

Quick WGA Check-
-Disconnect the vacuum line from the WGA.
-Connect a hand held vacuum pump with gauge to the WGA.
-Apply aprox 20" of vacuum to the WGA and observe the gauge for several minutes.
It should NOT bleed off at all.
-With aprox 20" of vacuum applied, try to move the WGA lever.
The lever should be held in place somewhat firm.

Theres more to thoroughly testing the WGA but you'll need to disconnect the WGA lever from the Waste Gate Valve to do so... LMK if you want to check the WGA further and I'll walk you through it.
#723 3500 Dually Club
Old 03-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
lifteddiesel
Diesel Technician

exactly how do i apply pressure to the lines or wga without it running?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.