code: dtc 36 - Only before engine is warm, under hard accel..just replaced optic sens - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
purvisgs
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

code: dtc 36 - Only before engine is warm, under hard accel..just replaced optic sens

OBD-I, 94 truck -
Before replacing optic sensor in IP, I used to get codes: 18 19 35 49 54 and limp mode.

-Optic sensor just replaced to stock location, not "bumped"
-PMD replaced, bumper mount, OPS replaced, lift pump operating, fuel pressure ok, no air between fuel filter and IP...
-grounds cleaned
-optic filter harness removed
-History: I bought truck recently, previous owner ran it for unknown amt of time with lift pump not working due to bad OPS

NOW, after optic sensor replacement, I get only code 36... (along with 18/35, 36 is a possible IP "death" code)...

It is specifically triggered (I see the service engine light flash or cruise control would turn off) when the engine is not FULLY warmed up and I accelerate hard. Most of the time this means really hard up to the redline (rpm's) as you would when passing a car. Sometimes it is triggered when I accelerate right at around 2,000+ rpm's.

If the truck is warm and I clear codes (jumper, step on brake and accelerator 5x, turn off, wait 15 sec) then I do not see ANY error codes!

But under normal driving conditions, pretty much every time it will trigger code 36 while driving around until the engine is warm...

I have seen reports where running lubricity additives may get rid of codes 35 /36. I am running PS brand cetane boost in a high concentration with a little bit of 2 stroke oil added for this tank, I will try two more tanks with 2 stroke (heavy dose) but after that I am planning a long trip and really can't afford to pay shop or replace IP myself on the side of the road, in the cold. If I am going to replace IP, I want to do it now, in the next week.

YOUR THOUGHTS ? Can anyone with experience in similar situations chime in?
Help please! I am new to 6.5 but not diesels. Thanks!

also:
-The fuel shut off solenoid on ip seems to check out, it is getting 12v and measures 18 ohms from A - B of the sensor when unplugged. Anyone know if this ohm reading seems reasonable? Or how to further test it?

11. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent INTERMITTENT only after very hard acceleration, before engine is up to operating temperature

3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers). 159k miles
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......). ds4
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD. 3500
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit) yes, has egr vin f
7. Air Filter condition (visual check). OK, new
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). new
9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper). new bumper on heatsink
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor). pmdcable online vendor
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. to IP, good, cleaned
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _____ 30's F

11. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent INTERMITTENT truck otherwise running normally
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No yes
12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes/No y
12a. List exact results on engine codes. 36

13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened). clean
14. Known condition and age of Batteries. tested good
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age? no
15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened)
yes
16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"? y
16a. Does engine start and run?y
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on?y
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit. 5
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer). OK

20. Are you experiencing Stalling?
20a. Describe the event (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump, etc...)
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. ok
22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
23. Lift pump test - Describe results. bleeds ok, fuel pressure ok at tee, no bubles in clear line between ip and filter

24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/No n
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/No n
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? Yes/No n
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).n
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order? seem ok, coldstart fine

29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/No n
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail pass
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-Diesel, #2 Diesel, SVO/WVO, other D#2
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. PS diesel clean, heavy dose, just started using 2 stroke oil as well
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? Yes/No n
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? n
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.

Last edited by purvisgs; 11-26-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
crankme69
Diesel Master

I just got a similar code & no cruise issue last night, but I also had a pedal sensor that had a bad connection, hope that I have that fixed now, we'll see.

I also need to replace my fuel heater, because I disconnected it a few weeks ago as it was blowing my IGNA fuse.

Might yr fuel heater be disconnected or burned up? Just a shot in the dark...

1995 Tahoe 6.5TD 202K Buddy chipped cat & muff delete

1994 1500 Silverado 6.5TD 2WD RCLB 165K Buddy chip EGR disabled else bone stock work in progress...

1996 TDI Passat 190K 49mpg avg

2005 FLHTC 107 Twin Cam Fueling 574 cams, 10.1 CR, Mik 45, DTT map, 3.37 final, E1 clutch & VPC with SE 6 sp, SnS roller rockers Bub 7 2 into 1 exhaust, 120Tq & 120Hp

1995 FXD 80 EVO V Thunder 2015 cam, Mikuni 42, SE slip ons, 80Tq & 70Hp
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Casekey
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme69 View Post
I just got a similar code & no cruise issue last night, but I also had a pedal sensor that had a bad connection, hope that I have that fixed now, we'll see.

I also need to replace my fuel heater, because I disconnected it a few weeks ago as it was blowing my IGNA fuse.

Might yr fuel heater be disconnected or burned up? Just a shot in the dark...
I also have gotten that code but i started to plug my truck in and letting her warm up a little more she hasnt given me that code in a while.

Sorry to thread jack but what did you do for the pedal sensor? I just got that code on my truck. Hvaent gotten to dig into it yet.
3" down pipe 2.5" crossover to 4" Straight pipe to 5" tip
Upgrade K47 Air Intake with Amsoil Filter
'S' Intake swapped to 'F'

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 1 Corinthians 13:11"
Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
purvisgs
Diesel Enthusiast

casekey - try search "APP" I just finished going through and testing mine just to be sure.

Glowplugs are good, I let the truck warm up especially on cold days.. It takes about 20 min of run time before it will not trip code 36.

Another way to put my question would be: How long from the time you started getting code 36 until you had to replace IP? (If you have not yet replaced IP, how long has code 36 been tripping / Did it go away? What lubricity additive?) Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
purvisgs
Diesel Enthusiast

Now I am getting code 35 and 36 after running through ~2 tanks of diesel. The service engine light comes on when I accelerate to above around 2400 rpms. It happens when cold but also when warm *occasionally* Any more input appreciated!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
crankme69
Diesel Master

Have you tried just adding the 2 stroke only?

1995 Tahoe 6.5TD 202K Buddy chipped cat & muff delete

1994 1500 Silverado 6.5TD 2WD RCLB 165K Buddy chip EGR disabled else bone stock work in progress...

1996 TDI Passat 190K 49mpg avg

2005 FLHTC 107 Twin Cam Fueling 574 cams, 10.1 CR, Mik 45, DTT map, 3.37 final, E1 clutch & VPC with SE 6 sp, SnS roller rockers Bub 7 2 into 1 exhaust, 120Tq & 120Hp

1995 FXD 80 EVO V Thunder 2015 cam, Mikuni 42, SE slip ons, 80Tq & 70Hp
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
PMD hater
Diesel Fanatic

Had the EXACT same problem, started adding 2-stroke oil and power service and still got the code. I cut out the power service and ran with just the oil and it has never come back.
1994 GMC SIERRRA 1/2 ton 4X4. 225,000 kms. Relocated PMD. Diamond eye 4" turbo back exhaust. # 9 resistor. Snorkel removed. 93 lift pump. High idle mod. Dual battery blankets. Glow plug override mod. Red 2 gauge crossover wire on top posts. Side post upgrade for all others. Bosch duraterms. Clear IP inlet hose. Full synthetic Amsoil engine oil.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
purvisgs
Diesel Enthusiast

I will try just 2 stroke for the next tank. So far it has been a mix of PS, or maybe other cetane boosters, and 2-stroke, at the manufacturers highest recommended "dosages"

Does anyone have any experience with Lubro Moly Diesel Purge? The mercedes diesel guys I know swear by it. It is not a snakeoil product or an additive. Mercedes in Germany actually recommends it. You disconnect fuel in and out and run it straight to the IP. One of the main ingredients on the msds is Naptha.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Master

36 is not that bad a code in most cases. Since yours comes and goes it just means your closing time on the armature is just a little slow. There is a plus or minus of how many micro seconds it takes to close the valve. Yours is just a bit slow. Will it get better? Probably not.

Tolerance 1.2 to 2.5 milliseconds.

2.5 and up it throws 36 Less than 1.2 and it throws 35

Find that on the net.

Peabody Math question. Engine runs at 3,000 RPM. How many seconds will the valve be open in one minute if the armature consistently stays at 2.0 microsecond closing time.

Tip: It moves one time per injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.