Diesel Place banner

Ether

4K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  spectreblazer 
#1 ·
I cant belive the thread the ur 6.5 is going to get addicked to ether. its a motor not human show proof that the 6.5 blows up from ether used by a true diesel guy that had his head out of his a$$ ether is to be used in limited amounts. lower the compression of a diesel and they will take more better. why do u think super stock puller tractors guys use alot of it on a cool night. i will say the 6.5 is a higher compression motor and it can not take much ether at all but if ur smart it can be done. do not ever shoot it dreict in the intake spray around the air filter it well spread and a dreict shot is not going to happen.

6.5 and ether is a combo to not use without being very smart.
but dont blow smoke up people's A$$s with the whole ethers bad and ur motor will get addicked. grr

#2 ·
:popcorn:

#3 ·
I can test to this, when i bought my truck all glows were rotted into the heads. For OVER a year i used ether as "sparingly" as possible until i took the engine out and replaced it. From 70 degree days to -10 degree days. I could "waft" fumes into the intake and it would fire. Over time the engine did seem to get harder to start. Putting pressures on internal parts. Plus if you have good glows it ruins them.

#4 ·
My comment in an earlier thread on this subject (i.e. getting addicted) was more humor than anything else. With the 6.5's high compression ratio, the use of ether is highly discouraged. Can it be done, sure. I still won't recommend it.

Jake

#5 · (Edited)
i will say the 6.5 is a higher compression motor and it can not take much ether at all but if ur smart it can be done.
And if your really smart, you won't need it at all because your truck will start properly. These engines are not ether start. They are glowplug assist, or more so glowplug lifeline seeing how they tend to refuse to start without really complaining if a few plugs are out. If the glowplug system is up to par, Ether shouldn't even be a thought.

Now i know Diesel Slug's old engine was an exception considering all 8 GPs were rotted into the heads and wouldn't come out. In that case, I'd have used it too. However he knew it was bad, has said he doesn't recommend using it several times, and knew to only use a slight amount.

I've got a 2 cyl gas(blech) engine on a piece of yard equipment that will not start cold without ether, but when warm it starts fine. No idea how or why it's like this as the engine was free because of this issue(which is why i don't care to repair it). You can spin it til the batteries die 10x over, and it won't even cough. Give it a whiff, and she's off and running after a few spits and sputters. Can this be called "addicted". I suppose. It can also be called a POS. I've called it both honestly. Point is, it wasn't like this from the factory.

but dont blow smoke up people's A$$s with the whole ethers bad and ur motor will get addicked. grr
Grr? :rolleyes: Ether is bad for these engines if for no other reason than most people here aren't techs and may not know the "proper" way to use Ether.

Sure it can be done correctly I won't argue that point, however that message is there for those that are debating using it, that don't know said "proper" way and attempt to drown the engine in ether with the theory of "more is better".

That's why that message is up there, and it's served it's purpose. The amount of threads asking questions about using ether has dropped, and honestly if you have to ask about using it properly, you shouldn't be using it.

- Dave

#6 ·
I cant belive the thread the ur 6.5 is going to get addicked to ether. its a motor not human show proof that the 6.5 blows up from ether used by a true diesel guy that had his head out of his a$$ ether is to be used in limited amounts. lower the compression of a diesel and they will take more better. why do u think super stock puller tractors guys use alot of it on a cool night. i will say the 6.5 is a higher compression motor and it can not take much ether at all but if ur smart it can be done. do not ever shoot it dreict in the intake spray around the air filter it well spread and a dreict shot is not going to happen.

This is a forum where we take the fact that there are more rookies than pro's reading seriously and as such err on the side of caution.

If you don't like that your welcome to find another forum that only techs are allowed on....try the ASE forums....

#7 · (Edited)
It is about proof. There is a thread recently with pictures on what Ether can do to the engine. IIRC, the guy bought a truck and it turned out to be bad. Come to find out that the PO was using Ether.

This engine is simple, you need fuel and electric. The fuel system consist of Tank, Lift Pump, Filter, IP with PMD and injector. Most of the problem is because of bad LP. In OBD-I trucks, the LP is run by OPS so bad OPS can cause LP to be in-op. Next is bad PMD.

Electrical is also important: batteries, starter, alternator. Batteries give power to the GP then to starter. Some electric to the OPS and PMD.
It is also equiped with block heater for really cold northern part of the continent, the electric comes from AC sources.

So, if those components are healthy, you won't need any ether or stimulants.

#8 ·
I think i better stay out of this one:p:

#9 ·
If you are addicted to ether, repower to a 6-71 grey or detroit or maybe a old Buda

#10 ·
ether works great it shows knows and how dont. Kinda natural selection of truck owners that dont have a clue. If I use it on my engine it will live and not be any worse fore it.
My truck is hard to start at 30f but I dont use ether till way past 0 f.
Ibought my truck in 04 and have only used ether 2 times. Yes i will use it but only if I must.

#11 ·
My uncle recently retired from a CAT dealer after 27 years. I was joking about getting a truck addicted to ether because a driver wanted to use some. His first comment was to leave it on the shelf and that diesels can get addicted. He was telling me that most of the equipment that came in had a note on the paper work that it was ether dependent. Take as you will, believe it or not. But my uncle used to get flown to CAT HQ to tell them what was engineered wrong and how to make wrenching easier on everything CAT makes. If he says he's seen it, I believe it. Besides that, we had a old 7.3IDI that wouldn't start below 50 without ether or WD40.

#13 ·
WD-40 is worthless now, i tried it on my old engine. Stuff is different, less flammable, so it wont ignite easily when sprayed into the filter.

#12 ·
We had alot of equipment that was "addicted" to Ether, would not start cold without it regardless of the Temp outside, mostly Old Detroit Diesels

#14 ·
Using ether on these engines may bend connecting rods. Bent rods equals lower compression which will cause hard starting. But, get the ether and it will start up. She got her "fix"...

#15 ·
Im just wondering where the OP has gone after he started this fun thread....

#17 ·
i shake my head at you for this one. i agree with everyone some are going the electical route... not saying they are wrong and not to bash or anything but as for fact ether in a diesel engine not an ok deal if you want to use an aid fine wet a rag in gas and lay in over your filter. thats still not good but a bit better.. as for the addicted part and PROOF! the reason behind this addiction is that ether is a high combustible what it does is wear and destroy the rings the rapid expansion is harder on them equaling wore rings and now bad compression, and now resulting you spraying the stupid crap into your engine for the make up loss compression. ether is also a solvent you can clean with it therefore think about it... a cleaner and some oil whose going to win... think the ether.. with that being said ether "even wafted" into the intake is not recommended nor should be done!. not to mention its been proven its hard on your glow plugs.

theres no electrical components involved its a proven fact that ANY diesel can be addicted to ether over time

#19 ·
i shake my head at you for this one. i agree with everyone some are going the electical route... not saying they are wrong and not to bash or anything but as for fact ether in a diesel engine not an ok deal if you want to use an aid fine wet a rag in gas and lay in over your filter. thats still not good but a bit better.. as for the addicted part and PROOF! the reason behind this addiction is that ether is a high combustible what it does is wear and destroy the rings the rapid expansion is harder on them equaling wore rings and now bad compression, and now resulting you spraying the stupid crap into your engine for the make up loss compression. ether is also a solvent you can clean with it therefore think about it... a cleaner and some oil whose going to win... think the ether.. with that being said ether "even wafted" into the intake is not recommended nor should be done!. not to mention its been proven its hard on your glow plugs.

theres no electrical components involved its a proven fact that ANY diesel can be addicted to ether over time

Give me the PROOF

Engines wear over time(loss of compression),there comes a point in time they can not be started with start fluid or glow plugs cause they are plain worn out

You want to read my post again,this time thoroughly..before passing judgement.
This 6.2 is in exellent running condition despite the fact it has been fired up hundreds of times with start fluid and STILL starts with the original glow plugs.

#18 ·
Since diesels are auto ignition engines any fuel that will ignite easier than diesel can cause pre-ignition.
Ignition that is way too advanced tries to turn the engine over the wrong directon and nothing good can come of that.

Ether and working glow plugs make the pre-ignition happen even earlier than compression alone so do the math for yourself to figure out the end result.

#23 ·
bison... over time yes an engine will lose compression, but this is about using ether to start it. this accelerates the ware on the rings therefore needing ether again and again to start it hence the "addiction" part..

#26 ·
I guess you should talk to John Deere ,Perkins,detroit and AC among others about that,they came factory with ether start.

I admit,use of ether or start fluid should be avoided in our diesels,its better to fix what's broke.

I just gave an example that with PROPER use it wont harm a thing.

I go fire up that loader now,i got things to do.;)

#25 ·
being in the diesel repair field for many years i have been know to use a starting aid..but in these engines i would highly recommend not using it..if it dont start off the glows something is wrong and needs repair...i have seen much damage done to diesels over the past 35+ years from using it...but like anything else there are always exceptions to the rule..well back to the blank staring at the forums...:)

#30 ·
When I use ether, it makes me sleeeeeppy.......................zzzzzzzz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.