Bleeding air from fuel on 1994 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
wrenchin4u
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Bleeding air from fuel on 1994 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel

I'm in the process of replacing both valve covers on the engine. After replacing the valve covers. I'm wondering what procedure I should use to bleed the fuel system since the fuel lines had to be removed. I have a "T" valve in the front of the engine that is hosed to the fuel filter housing. My second issue is, I'm having issues with the wastegate operating correctly. I manually checked the wastegate valve itself and it is holding vacuum. I have 12volts at the wastegate solenoid with the key on and a good ground also at the plug. I have good vacuum from the vacuum pump, around 25 pounds of vacuum to the solenoid and no vacuum coming out the other side of solenoid. Both hoses going to the solenoid, are not leaking, in good shape. I'm assume the vacuum hose from the pump is closest the firewall side. My guess that the issue would be the wastegate solenoid. If anyone has input, let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

As far a bleeding goes all you need to do is crank the engine over for cycles of 15 seconds followed by a starter cooldown period of 1 minute,it will self bleed.
I like to crack 1 injector line loose while bleeding the high pressure side,it seems to speed things up a bit but is not mandatory.

I am curious how you were able to get vacume readings with the engine not running?Did you check them before doing the valve covers?
If so,the wastegate actuator should have 18 inches of vacume at idle or higher.Yours does not seem to have vacume beyond the wastegate solenoid so the solenoid is suspect providing you have no wiring issues and all your grounds are in good condition.

Links for grounds:
No Start, No WTS light….It IS the grounds!
Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....

BTW welcome to the Diesel Place.
New members would be well advised to check out the sticky posts at the top of the 6.5 forum and become familar with the search this forum button,most every question you will ever have has been asked and answered here so you might save some time by finding your answer yourself.
If search does not help your particular situation by all means ask your question and provide as much information as you possibly can.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions

Last edited by racer55; 10-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
wrenchin4u
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to tackle the job later today or sometime after work tomorrow. I got my vacuum reading before working on the valve covers. Thanks for the info again.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
rrruschman
Diesel Technician

As for bleeding 94-95 the easiest method I know is to jump the lift pump fuse in your underhood panel.Then bleed the filter first and then the T,this seems to work great for me and less stress on starter. I know their is a video out showing how to jump the 6.5 lift pump fuse.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrruschman View Post
As for bleeding 94-95 the easiest method I know is to jump the lift pump fuse in your underhood panel.Then bleed the filter first and then the T,this seems to work great for me and less stress on starter. I know their is a video out showing how to jump the 6.5 lift pump fuse.
That works well but the OP only had the valve covers off so the low pressure side should not have any air intoduced to it.
Bleeding the high pressure lines alone is what he is after as far as I can tell.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
wrenchin4u
Diesel Enthusiast

The info for bleeding the air system was perfect. I ended up cracking the #1 fuel line while cranking and it started right up. The only problem I have is the wastegate not working properly. I just purchased this truck a week ago. I was trying to find some place where it says how the vacuum hoses are installed on the wastegate solenoid, in case they were installed wrong from the previous owner. I wanted to double check the solenoid hook up. I noticed on the solenoid, one of the ports, is a brass insert. I noticed the truck is due for 2 new batteries. I had to jump started it the last couple of days. I'm wondering if grounds are the issue, even though I have a good ground and voltage with key on, engine off, at the wastegate solenoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement