Need to know Common mods for 6.5... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
95burb4x4
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Need to know Common mods for 6.5...

I purchased a 2500 Suburban 4x4 with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel yesterday...i am coming from a F-250 SD with the 7.3 that i had performed alot of mods to, and am curious what performance mods are available for the 6.5...

Thanks for your help...

there's a pic of my new rig...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Master

Congrats on your new vehicle, as far as mods go id start with, Snorkel removal - 94 Blazer, Gutted upper plenim.
then id say boost gauges are nice..... and you can always straight pipe the exhaust so no cat no muffler, make it a bit louder but will have a better flowing exhaust which are claimed to give more power and more mpg's (which when i did mine i have since then beleived i personally am getting more mpg's), so that should give you somewhere to start! gl also the Faq's http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=341318 and main faq GM 6.5 FAQ & Information Sticky "Look In Here First"
1995 Chevy 2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel w/ intake restrictions removed . Diamond eye 4" exhaust straight piped, HX40W-II turbo with a K&N 4" pod ( temporary), ARP head studs & new heads, injectors w/ pop @ 2300 psi, Buddy "3" banger chip, VIN F, Currently running 24# boost-ish
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
toddman35
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Depending on year, a reflashed ecu, cold air intake, 4" exhaust, mandrel bent crossover, marine injectors, intercooler, etc etc.

-1996 GMC 2500, F vin, 274k, Gold/Tan, Ex/LB
10psi TM, VDO Boost & EGT gauges, Heat sheilded custom CAI, New Starter, New Batteries, New Crank Pulley, New Harmonic Balancer, Bully Dog 3" Downpipe & 4" Full Exhaust, New 93' HO LP, New DTech Bumper Mounted PMD, Marine Injectors, Pensicola IP, MB Motoring WHeels, 285/75s, WVO system.

-1997 BMW M3 Sedan Silver/Black 113K Modded
Old 09-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman35 View Post
Depending on year, a reflashed ecu, cold air intake, 4" exhaust, mandrel bent crossover, marine injectors, intercooler, etc etc.
ive heard of the "reflashed ecu" but where do you get it? is it something that can be done personally? ( i am very technical when comes to computers.....)
1995 Chevy 2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel w/ intake restrictions removed . Diamond eye 4" exhaust straight piped, HX40W-II turbo with a K&N 4" pod ( temporary), ARP head studs & new heads, injectors w/ pop @ 2300 psi, Buddy "3" banger chip, VIN F, Currently running 24# boost-ish
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
ive heard of the "reflashed ecu" but where do you get it? is it something that can be done personally? ( i am very technical when comes to computers.....)
Heath Diesel
Kojo Tunes
Westers (Canada)
Kennedy Diesel
Engh (GMTDScan creator just for OBD-I)
Others.

I am not sure how they flash it. It involves some table that you need to have for this specific ECM that most people don't have access to or have to pay big bucks for it.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive

Last edited by JMJNet; 09-15-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
95burb4x4
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies...exhaust and guages are gimme's...that's something EVERY diesel has to have...a cold air intake is also a gimme...more air in, more air out...i've spent @ an hour reading some of the sticky threads...

So everyone knows, i'm coming from FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts)...i am a supporter of that site, it is operated by the same company as this site i believe, but now i can rejoin my fellow bowtier's and make thiis big ol burb run like it should...it runs fine now, but i noticed some extra smoke, not thick, but noticeable, and the turbo doesn't whine like i'm familiar with on the Powerstroke...i plan to remedy this very quickly...

Thanks again...

David

BTW, my truck is a 96 2500 Suburban 4x4 with 6.5 liter TD, and 145k on the clicker...

Last edited by 95burb4x4; 09-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
toddman35
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The GM-x turbos found in these are pretty quiet with the stock airbox. After you get an intake and exhaust, you'll be able to hear it quite a bit better. If you stomp on it, you should see a small puff of black until the turbo spools up then the exhaust should clear up.

-1996 GMC 2500, F vin, 274k, Gold/Tan, Ex/LB
10psi TM, VDO Boost & EGT gauges, Heat sheilded custom CAI, New Starter, New Batteries, New Crank Pulley, New Harmonic Balancer, Bully Dog 3" Downpipe & 4" Full Exhaust, New 93' HO LP, New DTech Bumper Mounted PMD, Marine Injectors, Pensicola IP, MB Motoring WHeels, 285/75s, WVO system.

-1997 BMW M3 Sedan Silver/Black 113K Modded

Last edited by toddman35; 09-15-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
GSXR600
Diesel Technician

get some tubing and a cone filter mount the filter under the front bumper, exhaust given BUT put in a muffler straight with drone out the cab really bad!. marine or HO injectors waste of money better off with a reputable rebuilt ones or new stanadyne or bosch.

reflash that might be OBD-I if so you get a new prom if OBD-II you send in your computer, < that takes longer for tweeking time, get it back drive it send it back in change it and so on.

get a TURBO MASTER and delete the vac system this is more efficient and fail proof unlike the vac system. < this requres a reflash or udated performance E-prom other wise codes and other BS

ALSO, dont expect a lot out of this engine, they arent power house engines like you could do with your old 7.3
1995 6.5L TD Suburban 2500HD VIN F -Jasper Engine (Long Block) replacement @ 153,000 and again at 182,500 - 4L80E trans orig. - heath turbo master (w/ 16lbs max) - Heath GL4 - Heath HD LP - warp speed/ diamond eye 4" exhaust w/ muffler and 5" straight tip - 2" heath cross over - SS diesel intake - 3.73 rear end - glow shift seven color boost guage - 2008 GM aluminum rims - 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers - also the imagination its faster than you ha. now shes in her grave.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
95burb4x4
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR600 View Post

ALSO, dont expect a lot out of this engine, they arent power house engines like you could do with your old 7.3

i could make the early 99 International T444E turbo diesel whistle like the Andy Griffith theme....
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
GSXR600
Diesel Technician

hahaha awesome, a cone filter will make these GM-X turbos wistle and spool faster. we could all say a cone filter will do something but to Heath diesel they say stay with the stock box and a high flow filter for it. wont wistle really but with the stock box your not sucking hot air from the engine bay. thats why i said mount it under the front bumper. thats iff you not mudding alot.

you can get a Ato A after cooler (universal cooler and piping its 5X cheaper) and cut holes in the skid plate for flow and protection and mount it there and get the 6.5L marine intake, the intake is in a different spot and mounts better for routing the piping.
1995 6.5L TD Suburban 2500HD VIN F -Jasper Engine (Long Block) replacement @ 153,000 and again at 182,500 - 4L80E trans orig. - heath turbo master (w/ 16lbs max) - Heath GL4 - Heath HD LP - warp speed/ diamond eye 4" exhaust w/ muffler and 5" straight tip - 2" heath cross over - SS diesel intake - 3.73 rear end - glow shift seven color boost guage - 2008 GM aluminum rims - 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers - also the imagination its faster than you ha. now shes in her grave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.