easy cheap power adders and smoke adders - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
chevytd21
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

easy cheap power adders and smoke adders

ive got a 95 6.5 td just put stacks on it got 180k miles on it ds4 pump and im lookin for some easy ways to to get more power and get her to smoke a little more starting with the most basic any ideas
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Smoke = wasted fuel & soaring EGT's. Save yourself the hassle, and save your engine.

As for more power, search around here...there's plenty of threads on the matter.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
outalne94z71
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to outalne94z71 Send a message via MSN to outalne94z71 Send a message via Yahoo to outalne94z71

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Midwest Smokers Member

the 6.5 cannot handle smoke like other diesels, it will it will cause high egt's and melt it down.

if you are set on having smoke then just remove the vacuum line from the wastegate, you won't have more power but will smoke
Proud member #727 of The 3500 Dually Club
bouncingtrucks.com for the original bouncing truck avatars
98 Gmc Sierra Victory Red K3500 Crewcab SLE dually 6.5td(F) fresh 4l80e 4:10 gears fresh gm-8 turbo,3" exhaust from turbo to muffler (no cat),new crate motor with new ip , bumper relocated fsd with hucksdorf diesel heatsink.

88 chevy k2500 7200gvw(short box conversion from long),18" lift 1 ton axle swap(ford d60 with chevy outers) 14 bolt rear with disks and detroit,rather large hunk of iron to power it on gas(currently building a short deck 572), divorced 205 t-case behind a th400 and rollin on cut 44" swamper tsl front goodyear ag 21.5 x16.1 14 ply rear, straight 3" pipe from ceramic long tubes to 5" stacks to make your ears bleed, OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Last edited by outalne94z71; 05-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatepilot View Post
Smoke = wasted fuel & soaring EGT's. Save yourself the hassle, and save your engine.

As for more power, search around here...there's plenty of threads on the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outalne94z71 View Post
the 6.5 cannot handle smoke like other diesels, it will it will cause high egt's and melt it down.

if you are set on having smoke then just remove the vacuum line from the wastegate, you won't have more power but will smoke
These guys are right. Smoke = bad. You want to fog out the neighborhood? That's Cummins territory. you'll melt down a 6.5 pumping out black smoke. Then you'll be out an engine.

Black smoke does not = power. Black smoke = wasted fuel and your also throwing money away.

Giant clouds of smoke are not cool. A quick puff on hammer down accel that clears up is fine. People wonder why emissions are getting so strict on diesels, yet then get in their diesel powered (insert brand here) and proceed to puke black smoke everywhere. This causes the enviro-nuts to go and up go the emissions standards for diesel even more.

Furthermore, Anyone can make a diesel smoke. I'd rather use all the fuel available and make power with it, but that's just me.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here

Last edited by IamDave0887; 05-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
TankerCadaver
Diesel Technician

The Suburban Club Member

Well, you've gotten enough (good) advice regarding the smoke so I won't continue the bashing.

I was able to get a little more performance out of my rig by putting in a drop in K&N filter and installing a TurboMaster (manually adjustable wastegate controller).

I recently also was able to delete my vacuum pump too. These are small $$$ improvements that do yield a little performance gain.

1996 GMC K2500 Suburban - 6.5L Turbo Diesel - 4x4 - 3/4 Ton - 8 Lug - SLT
266,000 miles............................................. ...................................F - Engine
K&N 1046 Cone Filter.................................................. .................BF Goodrich LT285/75/R16 All Terrains
Isspro Boost Gauge + Triple Pillar Pod
..........................................Heath TurboMaster
PLX Devices - Kiwi WIFI OBD2 transmitter
.....................................Devtoaster - Rev OBD2 Diagnostic iPhone software
Remote mount PMD (#9 Resistor)......................................... .........DuraMax Fan
Hayden HD Fan Clutch............................................ .....................Vac' Pump Delete
Pensacola Diesel Remote PMD/Harness.......................................SS_D iesel Fuel Filter Manager
Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Horse-Power
Diesel Technician

INDP Member

Like said before, Turbomaster, Exhaust, Intake Manifold Swap if you have a S code you want and F code(I sure as h**l do) then you get into reflashed ECMs these are the only reasonable ways to get more fuel out of your pump. As for more general performance you can actually get into the transmission to improve shifts and general power to the ground.

Like said before smoke=Fuel not being burnt. The only reason smoke is associated with High Performance is because people up the fuel for a chep upgrade in power on all mechanical engines a la the 12 valve Cummins and they dont upgrade to a bigger turbo. Unfortunatly the 6.5 cannont handle the amounts of fuel the Cummins can for reasons that I can explain but it would take another book.

Whew... sorry this was such a long post.
F Intake Swap
Heath Diesel PMD
Glow Plug Overide
A little Optic Bump, For now..
2007 Silverado 17" Chrome Wheels
3.5 in Downpipe
5 in Stack(Summer)/3.5 Straight(Winter)
High-Idle Mod
DIY Turbo-Master
Member #48 of TLFTN Club
IN PROGRESS:TC Lockup,Turbo Swap, Intercooler
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
chevytd21
Diesel Enthusiast

im not lookin to fog out the neighbor hood i just want a noticeable exhaust wen shes workin. theres plenty of stuff id like to put on this motor but just aint got the money like a flashed ecm or an e prom chip. and to the guy who talked about un hooking the vacuum hose from the turbo that might work on mine if i had it the waste gate is tied shut
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytd21 View Post
im not lookin to fog out the neighbor hood i just want a noticeable exhaust wen shes workin. theres plenty of stuff id like to put on this motor but just aint got the money like a flashed ecm or an e prom chip. and to the guy who talked about un hooking the vacuum hose from the turbo that might work on mine if i had it the waste gate is tied shut
Very bad idea to hold the wastegate shut on such an inefficient turbo. You can easily overspeed it with the wastegate held shut. Not to mention the horrendous backpressure the stock turbo's have.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Master

Wow! I just dont understand wht people want black smoke out of a diesel engine... Or any other engine for that matter. All it means to anyone who knowes anything about engines is... it It aint runnin right!
Yesterday i was going up a 8% grade that topped out at 8200 feet. I was in our 1/2 ton Silverado flatbed unloaded with a 4.8 6 cyl gasser. A guy with a Dog CTD tried to pull me up the grade. It was a joke. He had his foot deep into it, and was belching black smoke like cummuns do when they are over fueled. . I left him way behind and toped out the grade at 85. If he only knew he had his azz handed to him by a little Chevy 6 banger.... Ha Ha Ha!
Never been impressed with black diesel smoke. Maby a good puff when banging thru the gears......
But under a steady load NEVER!
To me when i see a diesel workin hard goin up an grade and nothin is coming out the stacks but pure heat waves.... I think. Sweet!

Earth First!!! We will mine the rest of the planets later.

1998 GMC K1500 6.5 66000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears.
Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support
KOJO tune WOW !
Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast
K&N filter
Ported, gasket matched upper intake.
New Bosch injectors. flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 BFG AT summer tires.
12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTswinter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.

Last edited by Tommygunner; 05-18-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
mahatma171
Diesel Technician

I have got to agree with you guys. The Sub will let out a very nice little cloud if I give it the hammer, but it clears up as soon as the turbo spools. Under normal acceleration, it does not smoke at all, nor do I want it to. I never knew that prodigious amounts of black smoke was cool until I started watching Youtube. No black smoke means that your engine is actually burning the fuel, not just dumping it through the engine.

Now say this with me: "One puff is 'enuff.'"
1995 K1500 HD Suburban, fresh self-built 6.5 T (929 casting) at 182,000 miles, "F" VIN, GM reman 4L80e, 3.42 gears, 184,000 miles, now with 265/75/16's, remote PMD, high volume/pressure oil pump, 140A CS144 alternator, 130gpm water pump, 180 degree thermostat, ARP head studs, WarpSpeed 2.5" crossover, new Bosch injectors, cat delete, high idle switch, OPS relay mod, remote start w/security. New 5521 IP and fresh 4L80 w/updates!

Update as of 8/26/14-new crank pulley, new p/s pump, new a/c compressor. 222,000 miles and driving all over God's green earth!!!

1986 Nissan 300zx, 3.0NA, 5-sp. manual, all orig. (pics in garage)TOTALED!!
1990 Lincoln Towncar, 5.0, AOD (the blue land-yacht)SOLD...

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 1986 K5 Blazer, 6.5NA GM crate w/ 3" rear exit duals, K&N intake, 700R4 modified/rebuilt, 3.42 gears, custom keyless entry, custom lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread