leaking diesel filter housing 6.5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
brightnow
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

leaking diesel filter housing 6.5

6.5 turbo diesel, 94 chevy truck

I smelled diesel at first, couldn't see anything though. Then, I drove the truck a few miles and smelled it again, I looked underneith and it was dripping diesel pretty bad under the truck.

I looked around a while to see where it's dripping so much from. I think it's the diesel filter housing but can't verify yet. I don't think it's the fuel line's but It could be, but does'nt look like it.

Does anyone have experience with this?

thank you.

David in Florida.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
matuva
Diesel Master

Send a message via MSN to matuva

Probably the fuel filter housing as you bet.
The culprit is very often the seal at the bottom. That seal is mounted to ensure leak proof at the fuel heater element which is going in the center tube of the fuel filter housing, less often, this is the heater element itself..
Quick fix, just a few messy when fuel filter housing is mounted with short hoses.
completely rebuilt 506 with gapless 2nd rings
and more ...

Last edited by matuva; 08-14-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
tigert
Diesel Technician

filter leaks

Lots of stuff here on that ! your 94 needs new flex lines anyway, make the new lines longer. Mount filter on standoffs and then you can see/feel the problem ,IE leaking out of heater wires, leaking from water sensor, put some 2/6 planks across the fenders, remove the 15mm bolts to the filter and replace all the lines to and from the filter. I used metric lag bolts, some washers, on 6"by1/2" aluminum tubing. get diesel and or biodiesel rated lines!!! The planks will help get to the line to the injector pump once the filter is out of the way. mine had a 5/16 hose clamp at the pump which I removed with a ratchet wrench (kelsey Hayes brake tool) Tite fit but one can snake under the intake to reach the clamp, going from the back forword. I also put a tee in the line and a fuel pressure gage under the dash while I was there, (surplus center.com $20.00) not pretty but now have no doubt as to where to start troubleshooting. 2 years later all is well. Good luck!
92 chevy CK2500 348 K miles. Underdash fuel gauge,teed into injector pump inlet with a needle valve air bleeder. Under dash ammeters on port and starboard glow plug circuits. Under dash oil pressure, and temperature guages. Rebuilt Tranny
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

Did you just change the filter or something? or it happened all of a sudden.

Check if the filter is seated properly first.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive

Last edited by JMJNet; 08-14-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
sirdiesel
Diesel Technician

Try the simple stuff first

Mine leaked also and it was a stripped hose clap on one of the fuel lines. My bet it is something similar or a break in one of the fuel hoses. Once you get the bolts off to the fuel filter it is an easy inspection. Good luck.
Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
phalfhide
Diesel Technician

mine was a o ring that seales the heater on the bottom of the filter
Just get a new o ring and you are back in business
Relocated PMD in front bumper #9 Risistor.
Heath Turbo Master !WOW! POWER
7/16/09 removed vac pump. Engine runs much Better.
6/12/12 Replaced Steel rims with OEM 2500 aluminum rims. Cant beleive how heavy the steel rims are.Very very little improvement in MPG.
11/4/12 Replaced Cytalytic Converter with Fake.(inspection in my State) BIg differance.

6/27/14 270,905 New injector pump from Heath diesel The one from the dealership is junk
270,905on Original Engine and still going strong.
Next owner is the junk yard!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
monkeywrench14
Diesel Technician

Mine did the same thing. I pulled the filter housing and the inside of it was rusted and the seals were bad. I ordered a new unit from gm parts direct.
1994 2500 4X4 X-cab almost all stock, 216,000+ miles, dash board ISSPro pyro, boost, and oil temp., High Idle mod., new glows, new injector return lines, new SSDiesel LP, OPS, Heath PMD relocation kit, all new brake lines, wheel cylinders, and p brake cables from front to rear, new fuel tank straps and cleaned tank, new fuel filter assy, new starter, oil cooler lines, crank position sensor, energy suspensions full front bushing set, pitman arm, idler arm and pivot, 4 ball joints, soot trapectomy,more to follow....Next is new injectors/Update: injectors done.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Green Machine
She Don't Smoke!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

So have you found out where your leak is bright?

I'm going to be looking into my leak today lol... It is either coming from a leaky line, leaky connection at filter housing, or something leaking on the housing. Only leaks when the truck is off and I lose pressure after sitting... Leak isn't big enough to suck in to much air to stall truck (yet) but does cause hiccups every once in a while... Just glad I don't need to take off my intake to run the new lines .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread