Diesel Place banner

Twin Turbo on my 6.5

119K views 190 replies 77 participants last post by  654L80 
#1 · (Edited)
I told you I would do it...;) I just picked up all the 10 feet of 304 stainless steel pipe I will need to build my... oh wait, I haven't told you yet:eek:: I'm dumping my exhaust manifolds, and building stainless steel headers for a twin turbo setup on my 6.5l diesel.

I drove to the supplier and ordered up all the 304 stainless steel 90's and 45's I should need, they cost around $130 CDN, and will be in tomorrow. I got the 10' of 304 stainless steel pipe for $100 CDN, prices were cheap because we have a place here that specializes in alloys. All piping is schedule 10S, and a secret size.:cool:

I still have to get the 304 stainless steel plate for the flanges, I'll probably just have the machine shop cut it out of some of their stock.

I'm going to buy another GM-8 turbocharger too, and another Turbo-Master as well. I'm going to try and set it up so that I can just order two 3" down pipes, and they will fit both sides, I don't know if it can be done, but I'll try.

#175 ·
I read the first couple pages of comments and decided to say my 2 cents. I would suggest not designing this with gm-8's if your not going to keep them on. Design it and build it once. Changing flanges and making adapter plates changing your dimensions. Schedule 10 pipe is not as strong as you think it will break so support it properly. The shop you bought your material from may sell to chemical plants but the stainless is only for there exhaust stacks. Mainly they use A387 Grade 22 which has a much higher heat resistant, has to be preheated to around 700 degrees before you can weld. If you know how to Tig weld I would also suggust that. You will have a much cleaner weld. Also Bevale your pipes on both sides to 45 degree angles so you have a nice v groove to fill with weld. Will definetly help from cracking. If you are going to have a shop laser cut you flanges to match your stock one I would make sure you atleast 5/8 inch thick Stainless for the same reason you stated about the way it transfers heat. You don't want them to warp.

I am not sure of your knowledge about welding but make sure you use the right filler wire and gas or that 304 stainless will rust.

Also did you consider doing two turbos in line. You don't have to mount them in the engine bay to could do it underneth. You will have a small t3 or small mounted to a larger t4. This will give you great low end response but willl also flow alot better as you get into the higher r's

#180 ·
im loveing the truck man i wanna twin turbo my 6.5 for a while now just havent had the time hopein maybe this summer!

#181 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thought I should give yall an update. I am selling the turbos and injectors from this engine. I have other priorites right now (mainly getting my business off the ground) but I am still going to complete this build, it just has to be put off for a while. If there is any signifigant work completed on it, this will be the first place I post about it. I forsee some more block machining this summer though, some of which may be considered dramatic.

-Will-

#182 ·
very cool build...
thanks for the excellent read, and let us know how it turns out.

#183 ·
I know this tread has been dead for very long time but just wondering how this turned out? I would love to do same setup to my 6.2 with twin garrett t3's off 3.0 mercedes diesels.

#184 ·
The engine is still sitting in my shop, unfortunately every time I try and get started on it, I have other problems come up. For example, currently I am fighting with a body shop that ruined the body and paint job on my 2001 truck in signature, which is now going to cost $12,000 to fix. That is on top of the $5000 paid to the body shop, plus $3000 in additional parts. That money would have been really nice to put into my TT6.5 project!

So I have not forgotten about it, the truck is parked in front of my shop and the engine is on a stand in my shop. The only things I have been working on regarding it, is the injection system. Thinking about twin DS4 pumps, or twin 4 cylinder P-pumps.

-Will :)

Reactions: 540fan and GADAWG75
#185 ·
your story has given me tons of inspiration. i hope that murphy leaves your back pocket long enough to finish it.

#190 ·
#191 ·
Just found this thread. Any updates? Looks interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.