Diesel Place banner

Twin Turbo on my 6.5

119K views 190 replies 77 participants last post by  654L80 
#1 · (Edited)
I told you I would do it...;) I just picked up all the 10 feet of 304 stainless steel pipe I will need to build my... oh wait, I haven't told you yet:eek:: I'm dumping my exhaust manifolds, and building stainless steel headers for a twin turbo setup on my 6.5l diesel.

I drove to the supplier and ordered up all the 304 stainless steel 90's and 45's I should need, they cost around $130 CDN, and will be in tomorrow. I got the 10' of 304 stainless steel pipe for $100 CDN, prices were cheap because we have a place here that specializes in alloys. All piping is schedule 10S, and a secret size.:cool:

I still have to get the 304 stainless steel plate for the flanges, I'll probably just have the machine shop cut it out of some of their stock.

I'm going to buy another GM-8 turbocharger too, and another Turbo-Master as well. I'm going to try and set it up so that I can just order two 3" down pipes, and they will fit both sides, I don't know if it can be done, but I'll try.

#75 ·
that has the potential to be a awesome 6.5. the only thing im worried bout is block strengh

#80 ·
Some Progress

Mutava, I still need to make a new thermostat housing, but I'll probably just stick with two, that other thermostat with no rubber seal is a Perma-Cool high flow 160 deg one from my 383 stroker, I was comparing them and noticed that they are basically identical.

Had a long night last night, in fact I'm still going :D been working at it all night and mourning. One litre of chocolate milk later, this is what I had done. I need to head into town and get some 6" stainless steel pipe, allen head stainless bots for the headers, and a new stainless steel wire wheel, but I'm coming back to do more work. Ohh, and get something to eat because I'm hungry. Doesn't matter how much you :whip: me, I won't work if I'm hungry. :D

Also, the guy in Ottawa is shipping me my second GM-8 turbocharger on Friday, via Canada Post using their COD service (Collect On Delivery). $350 CDN for a NEVER installed GM-8 turbo, ZERO kilometers on it (don't know how much that is in miles :rolleyes: )

Now for the pictures...
Picture 1 is showing the form I had to put on the ends of the 90 deg. elbows so they matched up with with the exhaust ports.
Pictures 2 & 3 I have the 45 deg fittings tacked on top of the 90 elbows too.
Picture 4 I have the two long pipes tacked on and formed together.
Pictures 5 & 6 I have all the pipes welded together, minus the collector and turbo flange.
Pictures 7 & 8 it is loosely bolted onto the side of the engine, which is why it is sitting at an angle outwards, pipes should point straight up when I get new bolts and tighten them up. As you can see that little thing for the A/C is going to be moved, and the heater hoses will have to be completely changed.

Attachments

#81 ·
Looks good inline keep up the good work.:whip::D

#83 · (Edited)
Instead of diving into the driver's side header, I've decided to complete the passenger one, so I know what to expect with the driver's one.

First picture, I used a zip disc to cut as much as I could off, but then had to hacksaw through the rest. :mad:

Second picture, I have welded all the little filler pieces in between the header pipes. Pretty easy to do actually.

Now the third picture.... Grrrr, I had to straighten up the flange quite a bit, I should have expected that and bolted it down... my bad. Took a lot of heating with the torch, had to heat every weld bright red on one of the pipes, just to get 1/4" out of it.

Last two pictures, I have the one turbo hung and strung up in the place it will permanently reside, once I finish up cutting the plates for the collector. Sits really nice, and uses up almost all the hood's extra height. I've got 5 of the 8 bolts holding it down right now, need to grind some clearance for the other ones. Also have that thing for the A/C removed, I'm just going to pay a shop to relocate it for me later.

Attachments

#84 · (Edited)
Amazing job so far. :thumb:

That turbo is way up there. Are you planning on keeping it that high up. I know you spoke of a powerdome hood.

#85 · (Edited)
Sneak Peak

Here is a sneak peak of the "Powerdome" hood. It's obviously sitting back in the shop getting lots more work done.

Attachments

#86 ·
That hood should clear the turbo, but you may need a couple phone books before you can test drive.:D

#87 ·
That is the power dome hood from hell. I like it. :D Your doing a great job so far. I'm sure it's already been said but what are you planning on using for turbos?

#89 ·
I'm using two GM-8 turbos. I've got one brand new one (15 minutes on it), and another brand new (2 years ago) NEVER installed one coming, should be here Tuesday. I can see surprisingly well over the hood, and I'm 5'8" tall. Next time I have it on I'll try to take a picture from the driver's seat.

#88 ·
Keep it up Will. Sign me up. I want you to make my truck a twin turbo also. SIGN ME UP.

#90 ·
Did you find that the hood that high was necessary to fit the headers at all or was it more for twin turbo?

#93 · (Edited)
The question of turbos was brought up on first page, and with manual wastegates and the small turbines, along with GM8s good response at lower rpms it makes it better than some of the more efficient single turbos with larger turbines we might put in for a single turbo.

Should be good for up to 10psi on each with aggressive wastegate if its power youre looking for. Or much better efficiency on something like 7psi max each.

#95 ·
With all the work you're doing, are you going to put an IC behind the grill? I think at this point, it's almost mandatory.:)

#96 · (Edited)
An IC should not be necessary since you wont be reaching the high boost amounts that make the GMX turbos get really hot. And the trubos will be cooler up in the cowl hood.

#98 · (Edited)
"The Stable" for all my diesel horses

This is what has mainly been holding me back from building the driver's side turbo setup. I finished it a couple days ago, but wanted to wait for a half decent day to get the truck outside for some pictures. :D I figured a few pictures were deserved here, because this is directly related to the twin turbo project.

I will also be posting a thread about the build up of this hood in the exterior section, with build up pictures. I can't remember how long this has taken me from start to finish... but about two months :eek: It was worth it though, and it came out just like I wanted.

It is heavier for sure, how much, I'm not sure, but it was enough to just barely let the springs hold the hood open. I ended up shimming the springs so they coil a bit tighter, and trimming the hinge so that it is locked more vertical. Meow it stays up just as good as the stock hood did.

The first picture is a comparison so you can see just how much taller this hood is, it is 8" taller than the stock one.
Second picture, I am trying to show how I made this hood flow with the rest of the truck.
Third picture is a side profile of it, still not sure if I'm putting my "Twin Turbo Detroit Diesel" emblems on there or not.
Fourth picture is just a nice under hood shot (just enough clearance for everything). :)
Fifth picture is a very accurate picture of what I see from the driver's seat. :D Don't worry, I already figured out how to make parking a breeze. ;)

Attachments

#99 ·
I mean no offense, but I think that hood is ugly as sin. Sinful to the tasteful lines of the truck. I wouldn't drive that thing if I was paid to (I'm also only 5'8" so I probably couldn't see over the damn hood), I don't care how fast it'll be...

Just my opinion!

#101 ·
I'm 5'8" as well, and I can see perfectly fine.

#100 ·
looks good

#102 ·
This is awesome, just read through all 11 pages of this and it was well worth it, keep up the great work. Us Canadians do pretty good work eh! LOL

#104 ·
Can't wait to hear how it runs when you're done Will!

Plenty of room to pull ambient temp intake air from the rear hood if you want. That area is often slightly higher air pressure at speed. A few strings taped around the area while driving would quickly confirm if that's the case with the taller hood.

#105 ·
well this project has certainly come along quite well. Good work Will, I can't wait to here how it all turns out in the end. Though if I ever saw an old truck pull up next to me with a cowl THAT BIG I'd wanna race :D

#106 ·
Very nice work inlinesix!!

#107 ·
Keep her up!!!

#108 ·
i like the hood. i'am building one rite now for a friend. just as you did i used the hood lines to cut it on and cut 1 inch up from the tip of the nose. he found a set of vents to put in each set to allow air to flow in. i only raised it 4 inches. did you use a donner hood for the front nose piece or did you fab it and did you mig it or tig it together? when i'am done i will post pic's of it.

#113 · (Edited)
I didn't use a donor hood for anything, I simply bent up a piece of sheet metal (14 gauge) for each half of the hood on the front. I TIG welded the whole thing solid, except the front plates which were tacked in many places. I used a combination of black silicone and welding to hold the under hood braces to the outside sheet metal.

#109 ·
That's a great project. I'm subscribing:)

#112 ·
but also keep in mind at idle, the GM-X turbo's spin twice as fast as most stock diesel turbos.

I've seen this a few times in this thread, what advantage/disadvantage are you pointing out by saying this? Less lag?

Defanately a high flow high end screamer for sure. Very cool project.

#115 · (Edited)
I've seen this a few times in this thread, what advantage/disadvantage are you pointing out by saying this? Less lag?

Defanately a high flow high end screamer for sure. Very cool project.
But of course! *Edit* Think of it more as the turbo is already spooling up at idle, rather then starting to spool up when you stomp on the skinny pedal

We all know the opperating range of the GM-X (A signle of course) is idle to around 2500 RPM.

I think that for his opperating range, dual GM-8's will be fine as a starting point, turbo swaps are very easy on a Diesel too, unlike on a gasser (for the most part, and Will has MADE his own manifolds both intake and exhaust, I have no doubt he can swap 2 turbos pretty easy)

VERY cool project indeed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.