Diesel Place banner

Rebuild your own injectors?

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Chicago TDP 
#1 ·
I found new Bosch injector nozzles $14 bucks a piece. Is rebuilding your injectors as simple as replacing the nozzles? Should you also replace the springs?

#2 ·
while you got them apart you should replace everything you can. where did you see the nozzles at? do they sell the shims to set opening pressures too?

#3 ·
What is the price of rebuilt bosh injectors at NAPA? I was going to get a set of the green cap "rebuilds" that are actually new.

#4 ·
quantum mechanic said:
What is the price of rebuilt bosh injectors at NAPA? I was going to get a set of the green cap "rebuilds" that are actually new.
??? What are green cap injectors???

Do you have a part#?

#5 ·
Green cap injectors are actually new ones that are being sold as rebuilt IIRC.

#7 ·
I'm confused:think: . All the green cap stuff! Anyways, why would you want stock replacements and not opt for a set that offers better spray for more hp and economy? Not tryin' to sound like a jerk, truely confused.

#8 ·
Several people (some who would know!) say HP injectors provide a minimal increase and not a good bang for the buck.

#9 ·
Even any increase would be better as they are not that much more expensive IIRC.

#10 ·
If you had a pop tester couldn't you just put in new spring and shims for less than $14 and get it right?

#11 ·
See! Someone who shold know!

Diesel Pro said:
NAPA "rebuilt " injectors for the 6.5 are new, (not rebuilt) if they have a geen cap plug on them. These are Delphi injectors. I have yet to see where hi-flow, hi- pop injectors have helped anybody. The computer controls the fuel quanity thru the injection pump. The injectors have no control over volume. If they did flow more. your fuel economy would go to crap.
All privledged info, please note before delete.

#12 ·
steiner43511 said:
while you got them apart you should replace everything you can. where did you see the nozzles at? do they sell the shims to set opening pressures too?
www.teamauto.com

Don't know what other parts they have. Guess no one has any info about rebuilding your own. Looks like I could save about 300 bucks if I just replace the nozzles.

#13 ·
Aren't 'hi-pops' selected from those that meet the high end of the spec, rather than just being anywhere within the (est) 1700 - 2100psi spec??

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
Easy to rebuild. Buy 8 new nozzles, 8 heat shields, 8 injector install copper washers. Reuse all other coponents. Adjust pressure with shims. .002" =~ 100 psi. Keep clean and don't mismatch parts. Mineral spirits should work well enough for cleaning. Nozzle number is on the tip.

#17 ·
Diesel Pro said:
Easy to rebuild. Buy 8 new nozzles, 8 heat shields, 8 injector install copper washers. Reuse all other coponents. Adjust pressure with shims. .002" =~ 100 psi. Keep clean and don't mismatch parts. Mineral spirits should work well enough for cleaning. Nozzle number is on the tip.
Thanks, I found the nozzles, do you know where I can get the other parts you mentioned.

#18 ·
Here is a question. It looks like the new ones go for about $42 each. How much do those parts go for? Also how hard is it to get everything together right and set to the correct pressure? Looks to me that it might be better to just buy the new ones and put them in. For the amount of money compared to the time and effort to get the rebuilt right?

#20 ·
The ones at the autozone had a 1 year warranty.

#21 · (Edited)
Won new Delphi injectors on Ebay and they were $255 shipped to my door. Haven't installed them yet.... Was a little disappointed at first because the seller's listing showed Bosch injectors and then sent Delphi but it still seems like a good price.

#22 ·
The high flow injectors make a nice gain in my experience. At least the ones that I set up do gain. While the computer does control fuel rate, the pulse width is backed down to get the same amount of fuel, along with the increase in ultimate fuel delivery potential...

I have the new Delphi stock units available also. I also have the install kits...

#23 ·
gmctd said:
Aren't 'hi-pops' selected from those that meet the high end of the spec, rather than just being anywhere within the (est) 1700 - 2100psi spec??
I'll also point out that one man's definition of high pop may differ from another's. I know this to be the case with some from north of the border.

#24 ·
Diesel Pro said:
You forgot about cleaning the carbon from inside the lower body, and lapping the upper body and middle ring.

Favorite quote:

"Some shops charge less for their rebuilds and they should..."

#25 ·
I know this to be the case with some from north of the border
Can you elaborate on this statement? What are your hi-pops set for compared to the ones i purchased north of the border here?

#26 ·
nvmtnlion said:
Several people (some who would know!) say HP injectors provide a minimal increase and not a good bang for the buck.
They work, better combined with other stuff & would be one of the last upgrades to do in my book after you have done everything else to get max benefit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.