Diesel Place banner

Anyone rebuild their own injectors?

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  89SWB 
#1 ·
#4 ·
great thread,. would it be to upgrade to "marine" nozzles all you need to do is swap out the internal piece?
Nick
I did just that. I paid 135.00 for the injectors and then used my old housings. It took all of 30 minutes. I had my motor out so it was reaaally easy.

#7 ·
I'd like to know that as well. What internals are different on stock vs. marine injectors, just nozzles? If us DIY's have the knowhow then why not? Even if you go through the extra effort to get them bench tested afterwards it seems it would be cheaper than new or remans for 300-500 bucks. That's my next step and I'd really like to know.

#13 ·
I was told by an IP and injector rebuilder that the when you put them back together they need to be torqued to a specific rating otherwise you may torque too much and have problems or you may not torque enough and have leaking. Anyone heard of this before?

#14 ·
I wouldn't doubt that. If you torque too little especially. Too much...., I doubt it.

#15 ·
there's no need to change out the spring? i was under the idea that the matine injectors flowed more and had a higher pop off rate?
So typhoon,. How much difference in the motor since changing the nozzles? i.e startability,. fuel mileage,. power,. smoke emissions,.Did the new nozzles come with any torque specs,. or installation instructions? i.e a list of do's and don'ts??
nick

#16 ·
There is no spring withn the housing, perhaps within the injector itself....!
As for the difference the marine injectors made, I can only say this.
I never had this truck running prior to this, as I bought it with a blown motor so I can not tell you the before and after stories, sorry!
But what I can tell you is this.

My son has the same truck, and I built both his and my motors at the same time. The only differences is that mine is .040 over and 18:1 whereas his is stock.
The difference in throttle responce is considerably noticeable. Mine, with the marine injectors, has a lot more power.

Whether it is because of the injectors, or the timing of the IP, cause I just installed the IP by eye, or compression, I have no idea. But I would have thought that if anytihing, the lower compresssion motor should have less power but the reverse is true.

So after this I installed the DIY T/M because of the smoke, mine had a fair bit. Now it even accelerates better again and no smoke.

I think I read somewhere that the Marine injectors do nothing until you change the computer. If that is true, then just maybe this truck has an upgraded puter and I just don't know it.

I will have to try and locate it and maybe there will be a sticker on it. I am wondering, can someone tell me, is the puter behind the passenger kick panel, just a guess.

#17 ·
Ohh, and no, the new nozzles did NOT come with any torque specs,. or installation instructions? i.e a list of do's and don'ts??

#19 ·
oopps, sorry, I remember now, yes the spring was in the top half but I did not replace those. I just replaced the injector itself.
Hey Phantom, where did you get that picture from? I remember posting and asking if anyone had a diagram of the injector and so I finally went to the dealer, but their picture wasn't nearly as clear as the one you provided. Thanks man.

#20 ·
Typhoon - check the link in the first posting. It was moved over to the DIY section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.