vacuum pump and ses - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
superdave1957
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

vacuum pump and ses

Ok,I have asked this question before but still a little confused.Last month my ses light came on,took truck to my mechanic,he checked the code,and said it was a vacuum problem,checked the pump,sure enough,wasn`t working.I ordered a TM from US Diesel yesterday and waiting for it to arrive.Now my question is,if I remove the pump,put shorter belt on,do I leave the sensor that the lines coming from the pump connected,or remove that also,and in doing that I shouldn`t get a code for not having vacuum.I`m a newbie at this but I`m trying.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

make sure you get a boost gauge so you can set the turbomaster correctly. with the factory computer do not set it for a sustained constant boost pressure over 9 PSI or you could get a service engine soon light as the computer will know something is up. you also should get an EGT(exhaust gas temp) gauge if you mess with boost settings. i've got one in the works myself.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here
Online   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
mitchedo
Diesel Technician

That "sensor" I think you're talking about is not a sensor; it's the solenoid that runs your wastegate actuator. I'm not aware of any vacuum sensors, so I don't know what code your mechanic read. If your vacuum pump was shot, then I suspect a P0236, or "boost out of range". If you run the turbo master, I hope you have a boost gauge. As long as you run it sanely, it won't set a code. The ECM monitors the wastegate solenoid's duty cycle, so I'm not sure if you can just take it out without setting a P1656. I'd remove the pump, but leave the solenoid there. You can remove the vacuum lines.

The ECM also monitors the MAP sensor on the intake (black rectangle about 2.5" long) for boost. If the boost is out of the expected range, too high or too low, (set by ECM, apparently dependent on altitude), then you'll set a code. The factory boost system in my truck is perfectly happy with 13psi boost, but I'm at 4500' and higher altitude, so I need more boost to equal the air density at sea level -- which is why I bought a diesel instead of a much cheaper (and more reliable and easy to maintain) gasser. Don't get carried away with the boost. More boost without more fuel won't make any more power. Just adjust the TM so you don't get black smoke under hard throttle.

You have a boost gauge, right?
4L80E (original, as far as I can tell)
Bone stock, and staying that way (adding gauges)

Last edited by mitchedo; 01-24-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Master

Leave your Wastegate solenoid right where it is, and leave the wiring connected. Plug the vacuum lines, but you can leave them, too, if you want.

You can take the vacuum pump right off and replace the serpentine belt with a shorter one (the part #s are on Heath's website) if you want... it's a good idea, since you aren't using it for anything, anyway... one less thing to worry about failing.

Initially, you won't need a boost gauge (although I always recommend gauges, just 'cause I like to see what's really happening). The turbomasters are made to precision specs with consistent materials, so we know almost exactly what boost levelels will be set with various spring tensions (as measured with a ruler, believe it or not).

If you set the length of the spring to 2.5" initially, your operating boost will be around 7-8 lbs, which should keep you from thowing any codes. A setting of 2" will set your boost to 13-14 lbs and may give you codes unless you reflash or use a 10KPOT in your MAF circuit to fool the PCM into seeing a lower differential... use search for MAF or BARO fooling... it's documented on here somewhere.

Hope this helps. If you got questions, post 'em... lots of us have done this particular mod, so there's no shortage of knowledge around here.

Last edited by jifaire; 01-24-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
teroma25
Diesel Master

I don't use my vac pump anymore, have a home-made TM and boost gauge. I left my solenoid hooked up otherwise it set a code. If I go over 120 km/hr it will throw a code. Yeah I could fool it to not set a code, but I just keep it below that speed and I'm fine.
1995 K1500 6.5l TD AT 4X4 "F code" Ext. Cab * rebuilt 5068 IP * delphi injectors * remote mounted PMD * 60G glow plugs * GM-8 Turbo with homemade TM * autometer ultralite boost gauge * Manual GP switch * air box mods * heads and gaskets X2 (4 month old head cracked) * Michelin LTX AT's 265/75/16 * 561 000 km's on truck * ??? km's on engine

2004 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L (Wifes Rig)

"Keep your stick on the ice!"
"SHAKE ANNNNNND BAKE....SHAKE AND BAKE!"
Member #1 of the "Massive Blow-By Club"
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
superdave1957
Diesel Head

vacuum pump

Thank you so much,and yes it is a selinoid,just couldn`t think of that at 5 am today.I have a boost gauge that works,I also have a egt gauge that I just found out isn`t hooked up,the gauge is there but the probe is laying on the frame,go figure.I don`t plan on pulling anything so I`ll go with the setting from the factory on the TM.Now that you brought up the egt gauge,does the probe go into the exhaust side of the turboand if so do I need to drill and tap a hole for the probe.I hate to sound ignorant but I just things to be right,because my better half didn`t like that I got a DIESEL truck but I wanted a mans toy,lol
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
mitchedo
Diesel Technician

Folks put them pre-turbo and post-turbo. Mine's going pre-turbo when I get the cash to buy it. There is at least one good post here with pictures. The search button is your friend.

...and I stand corrected on the TM and boost gauge.
4L80E (original, as far as I can tell)
Bone stock, and staying that way (adding gauges)
Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
s_abercromby
Diesel Technician

i installed a heath turbo master, removed my vacuum pump and put a shorter belt on, i was told that you can remove the vacuum lines from the solenoid but to leave it connected to it's electrical harness or else it will throw codes. As for gauges i didn't have any for about 2 months from the time i installed the e-prom and turbo master. heath told me that at the distance i had the spring nut set at i would get 12-13 psi with their turbo master and when i finally put in the gauges, that is what it read. so i think unless your making your own turbo master or there is something wrong with your engine, then a gauge isn't always neccisary to have your trunk run properlly with a few add ons. but it is deffinatley a good idea to do becauase if something does go wrong you can catch it, plus they look pretty cool to. you can check out my garage for picks of my gauges. i have since changed the backing from black to diamond plate aluminum, i just need to take some pics.
1994 6.5L chevy k2500 "F", 358000km and still kickin' ass/FSD Cooler/Heath Diesel Turbo-Master boost controller/removed vacuum pump/ cut out upper intake webbing/Isspro boost gauge and pyrometer (pre-turbo)/4" Warpspeed Exhaust w/5" Stainless Steel Tip/Heath Diesel Max-E-Tork eprom/removed snorkel/4" suspension lift/ 315/75/16 toyo open country A/T/Tons of cosmetic mods done before I purchased the truck/custom air intake going in once i fabricate a heat shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread