Diesel Place banner

Thank you Heath Diesel

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  powerchallenged6.5 
#1 ·
I have been chasing down an intermittent power issue for what seems like forever. I thought maybe my new engine would solve the problem(blew a head gasket) but the intermittent power loss still existed. As you can see from my signature I have installed almost every power upgrade possible (Except IC).

Finally I gave up and called Heath Diesel (Ian) on the phone. We talked for a while about the different things I had tried and then he suggested the filter harness on the optic sensor. Apparently these devices sometimes wear out. Ian gave me the part number and I ordered it from GM parts direct.

I went to install the filter harness and discovered it had been removed at one point and didn't exist. All this time the IP has been suffering from electrical noise and causing the power loss. Now the truck finally runs like it should consistently.

Thanks again to the folks at Heath Diesel.

#2 ·
:thumb:

I agree.... Ian took a half hour out of his day last friday to talk to me, and answer all my idiot questions. Not many vendors will do that these days!

Heres to the guys at Heath....
:beerchug:

#3 ·
I've talked to Todd, Ian and Bill at Heath Diesel over the years. None of them have ever failed to give anything but 100% every time I talk with them about anything.

Incidentally, my filter harness was missing, as well, when I went to install my new one on Friday.

#4 ·
Hmmm I think I need to investigate mine.

#5 ·
Anyone have a pic?........I bet dollars to donuts mine isn't there either!

Thanks,
Louis

l

#7 ·

#8 ·
I am thinking that I need to look for mine, and see if it is bad also.

#11 ·
Only on a couple of years OBD-I IIRC and also a IIRC a recall to swap to improved filter, some trucks report no problems running without them.

I don't believe a test to check em; sort of like PMD works or no works

At least this is what I remember of the tale, thankfully neither of my 98s have it , got enough " black magic boxes" already to guess at which one is bad

#12 ·
I have just recently R&R'd my filter. Had a "fishbyte" issue and just didn't want to believe Bill Heath and Co. Really I'm just a procrastinator. "Fishbyte" is gone. Many thanks to hDP and their support.

#14 ·
mudbath;1927227; said:
Where exactly are they located and is there a way to test them.
Right on the top of the pump. Find the round canister looking part, about 1-1 1/2" diameter with what looks like a bolt head on top, the look behind and off to the side of that and you'll see the end of the harness plugged in. Mine didn't have the filter on it, so the connector went directly into a wire loom. I didn't remove anything but the "Turbo Power" cover to do what I had to do. I think it took me a total of about 5 minutes, excluding my phone calls to Heath Diesel.

#15 ·
The filter harness is between the top of the IP where the optic sensor is located and the wiring harness going back to the ECM. It looks like a GM afterthought in my opinion but it's only $50 incl. shipping on GM parts direct so it seemed like a no-brainer to order one. Given the low cost I am not sure I would try to diagnose if it has failed but of course since I didn't have one to begin with it's a moot point. GM dealer wanted about $80.

#16 ·
Dieseldad97;1927234; said:
This is news to me. Why would someone remove the harness? I'm also curious about mine....

Because people are stupid and mess with things they know nothing about, :( :iamwithst :rant:

#17 ·
turbovanman;1928506; said:
Because people are stupid and mess with things they know nothing about, :( :iamwithst :rant:
97s (OBD-II) DD you are safe don't have em ,& IIRC once going to 5521 IP no longer need em even if OBD-I will need DP or another IP guru to confirm that one

#19 ·
Turbine Doc;1928539; said:
97s (OBD-II) DD you are safe don't have em ,& IIRC once going to 5521 IP no longer need em even if OBD-I will need DP or another IP guru to confirm that one

TD, I am a little confused by what you said about what years/appliations actually need the filter harness. I have a 96 "S" engine, it has the harness. I have the green tag on top of the IP but I have not looked at my pump number. I have a fishbyte misfire intermittently and this may be the cause. Like to know if I need the filter to run. If I don't need the filter, I will test the truck without to confirm that the filter is the problem.

#20 ·
I think there is a cross over introduction point which I'm fuzzy on & why I'd like one of our IP gurus to weigh in, later OBD-IIs don't have em, maybe early 96 still did

#21 ·
Turbine Doc;1928539; said:
Thats good info but my first statement still stands. I see bad stuff all day long at my shop, dealing with 2 vehicles right now that have been messed with and I can't get them running, ready to scream, :mad:

#22 ·
turbovanman;1928744; said:
Thats good info but my first statement still stands. I see bad stuff all day long at my shop, dealing with 2 vehicles right now that have been messed with and I can't get them running, ready to scream, :mad:
There is a reason I chose turbines as what I do to keep the lights on at home & food in the fridge, years ago I did a short stint part timing in a buddies auto repair shop, I got tired of just what you are talking about, or worse yet "It wasn't doing that until you worked on it"

Turbines are still "black magic" machines to most folks; & we don't have too many cases where customer is their own worst enemy

#24 ·
I removed a filter harness off of our 97 6.5 'S'....

#25 ·
jifaire;1928847; said:
Yeah, but most people don't put bags of walnut shells in their truck engines, either. Turbine people are strange.

JIF you are dating yourself walnut shells are "old school", very "old school" cleaning methods for aero-derivative turbines, actually pre-dates my time working on them, some large industrial ones still use that method, but my tool box is portable maybe 80# for the whole box, vs. 80# for one wrench, & I steer a wide berth from having to work on "frame-size" units .

Strange mee :eek: :eek: :eek: , well I mus be :( ; proof is I hang out here, & offer advise for free to people I don't even know; so yeah I qualify, but guess what you are here reading it makes you kinda stange too me thinks :D :D :D

#26 ·
LOL, yeah, I'm an olde farte. 727 turbines used as drivers for big Waukesha compressors in gas plants. The first time somebody told me we were gonna clean the turbines with walnut shells I just about plotzed.

<grin> I was 18 yrs old then... still having trouble figuring out why jet engines weren't attached to planes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.