Diesel Place banner

Oil cooler line size I/D

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave12 
#1 ·
From what I've read the I/D of the oil cooler lines for my truck should be 5/8". I had a set made up and it appears they are only 7/16"-1/2". Will there by any negative effects if I use these lines?

Dave

#3 ·
Don't have any experience with that Dave so i'm not sure. From what I understand, some of the old truck had 1/2" from the factory. Then in some year that i'm not sure of, they switched up to the 5/8". I could be totally wrong.

You would probably be alright with them, except you'd lose a little bit of cooling capacity.

#4 ·
Sorry not much more help than that myself. I do believe the chance over year was somewhere around 96-97. I'm sure someone around here knows that year for sure. I was wondering about going the other way with mine. I have the smaller one and want to install a larger set when I do this lines.

#5 ·
bowtie;1823770; said:
Sorry not much more help than that myself. I do believe the chance over year was somewhere around 96-97. I'm sure someone around here knows that year for sure. I was wondering about going the other way with mine. I have the smaller one and want to install a larger set when I do this lines.
I just went through this myself. I put a 98 motor in my 95 and the oil lines off of the 98 were a lot bigger. The fittings that thread into the block though are the same threads although the early ones have a smaller outlet. I was going to thread in my old fittings and use the smaller lines (and cooler) until I thought about it for a second. They must have went with bigger lines for a reason (cooling?). SO I put in the bigger set of lines with the cooler and all. Fun time getting those lines through next to the motor mount without lifting the motor.

#6 ·
1999 was the first year full year the lines were larger, 5/8 OD. Although I've never seen a 98 with them. Requires the engine oil cooler,lines & block fittings to change over from 1/2 inch lines. They were part of the 1999/2000 cooling system up grade for the planned horse power/ torque boost that never came out.

#7 ·
When I changed mine, I also noticed the difference.........But I already had all the parts for the smaller lines and just installed those..........I wish I knew before hand also........Just hope it doesn't make that much of a difference in cooling......but I'm sure were losing a few degrees.

Louis

#8 ·
4doorTAHOE6.5TD;1824155; said:
1999 was the first year full year the lines were larger, 5/8 OD. Although I've never seen a 98 with them. Requires the engine oil cooler,lines & block fittings to change over from 1/2 inch lines. They were part of the 1999/2000 cooling system up grade for the planned horse power/ torque boost that never came out.

97 began the change and 98 and on was all 5/8. The size is OD and not ID.

Greg

#9 ·
Correct(ed)I ve never seen a 97 with the 5/8 lines.Truck in sig was assembled in 3/97 & has 1/2.lines.

#10 ·
LanduytG;1824305; said:
97 began the change and 98 and on was all 5/8. The size is OD and not ID.

Greg
So Greg,

You're saying the correct line size is 5/8" OD which would be 1/2" ID? So the ones I have will be okay?

Thanks

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.