6.5 turbo stalls while driving - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
wvjet767
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.5 turbo stalls while driving

My 1994 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel quits while driving. Injection pump has been replaced by dealer 4 times all under warranty but now no longer under warranty and have to fix myself. Anyone have any ideas about why this is happening. Also does the Inline electric fuel pump run all of the time or does something trigger when it should run? Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselDave16
Diesel Fanatic

start searching this forum for info about the pmd or fsd (same thing). It's an electronic control that, as I understand, tells the pump how much and when for fuel. Anyhow, my lack of knowledge aside, when the module heats up if fails and there are some pretty tell tale signs to find out if that is your problem. It should only take like 5 minutes to search
She's a worker
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
knkreb
Diesel Master

Housed here is one of the best knowledge bases on the 6.5. Well beyond what most dealerships could ever hope for in experience. Take a peak at the top stickies on the 6.5 forum here... like the Welcome new forum member.

Couple of things it can be, PMD as mentioned, but need to rule out all possiblities as well, like fuel supply issues. FAQ sticky will help you out, as well as the diagnostic checklist. That will run you through the mill of many possiblities too.

Diagnostic Links & Common Failures: Turbo System * Lift Pump/OPS * PMD * Stalling

°Please include your vehicle details in your signature line. Did you read the FAQ's and search before posting?
*Bus 1, rest in peace. Bone stock, now just bones. 4.10 rear 10/13 mpg, 182,000 miles with a set of MCI motor coach seats.
*Currently driving an "Canadian Camo" Snow White 2001 5.7L Chevy Express.
*Bus 2, 99 7.3L PSD.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
jilaroo2
Diesel Enthusiast

tips to check before spending lots of $$$$$$

Before spending loads of $$$$$ as I did. Here's some tips that might be interesting of checking out. It only takes some of your time and might solve the problem. It worked for me ( after spending the money....)I bought my truck in April this year and I’ve already spent over five grant on this thing. Way too much dineros to get rid of this thing right now !
I have had intermittent stalling problems and no start problems ( hot and cold ) on many occasions. Most of the time when I'm pretty far from home (don't know why LOL) Once I had it towed home 3 times in one week ! Inconveniently once the truck sat in the driveway it started right up!?! So far for troubleshooting here!
Being an electronic engineer I'm having a hard time believing electronic parts go bad that fast without a reason ( FSD, electronic fuel pump etc.). So I started looking in to it and this is what I found so far.........
I put in a brand spanking new PMD outside of the engine compartment because the heat problem sounds kinda plausible. Though I'm not convinced the old one has gone bad. I still had the same problem. Then I replaced the ignition switch assy. When I opened the old one I found contacts that were burnt. (Again plausible.) That part can be found at www.rockauto.com. Part number is: #26075995 at +/- $88.
Still I had the same problem!
Next thing I found that I could barely touch the ignition key for the engine to turn off. Hitting the steering column would even stall the engine from time to time. I found that the key cylinder mechanically moves a gear that on its turn moves the ignition switch had jumped one tooth. I removed the key cylinder and moved the thing one tooth back again. Now the engine shuts off when the key is turned for at least 1/4".(plausible again).But still the same problem going on !!!
Being out of any other ideas I removed the glove compartment box to have a look at the famous PCM. The truck was idling while doing that. When I touched the blue connector on the PCM the truck died ! I removed the PCM and started the truck again.......Turned out that when I wiggled the green wire on the blue connector the engine would turn off. The green wire is the "engine fuel control" line that runs to the PMD. I cleaned the contacts of all the connectors (and added contact grease )on the PCM and put everything back together. Now I can wiggle the wires and connectors as hard as I want to without stalling the vehicle.
So far it is still running like a train. Three full days now ! Which has never happened before. Well worth checking out before opening the checkbook I'd say. One never knows !
Sincerely,
Ron
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
gmctd
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Good troubleshooting, Ron - with computerized EFI systems, it's connections, connections, connections.

The area where the engine-to-PCM harness passes near the a\c pipe into the firewall is another good place to look, where chafing causes intermittents

But, it's usually the FSD\PMD

Please include your vehicle details in your signature line. Did you read the FAQ's and search before posting?

tdp member #1505 - GMTDScan Tech, Autoenginuity help on-board......
96 Dodge 3500 cc 2wd drw 3.54 6sp......89 GMC 3500 cc 6wd drw 4.10 4L80E 205
5.9CTD 12v TST#10 plt SBC 13"............6.5TD, EFI, DSG, Max-E-Tork v2.0
DODGE makes it - CUMMINS shakes it.....Charge-air cooled, 3.5" ss exhaust
6 in a row makes it go..........................5000"lbs torque to the ground
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
jilaroo2
Diesel Enthusiast

Absolutely right GMCTD.
Bad contacts in connectors or chafing causes erratic arcing and that is known as enemy number one for electronic components.
They don't go bad for no reason.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
redoctober
Diesel Fanatic

I always tell people, wiggle testing everything is your FIRST step when diagnosing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread