Diesel Place banner

The Crew Cab!!!

33K views 378 replies 28 participants last post by  Bigboytoys 
#1 · (Edited)
Just acquired this 88 GMC K3500 Crew cab a few days ago.
Has a good running 6.2 N/A with supposedly 60k on it from a 83, the guy I got it from painted it and put it in.
He used the glow and fuel filter setups from the 83. Has a new radiator, a recently rebuilt th400 auto.
My plan is to redo the interior, put a quad headlight nose on it, turbo and maybe down the road a 2.5-3" lift.

This is the condition it was in when I went to look at it and bought it.

He did a lot of work on it, most of the frame has been wire brushed and repainted, I finished up the rear part a few days ago.

Getting hauled to my house...

Here are a bunch more pics I took today.

It is missing a few A/C parts, evaporator, condenser, compressor and lines so I will have to hunt all that stuff down,

R/S Rocker is shot.... L/S is fine

Rear half of the frame I started painting.

Cab has a few dents from when the previous owner hit it with a flat bed he was taking off the back, it also damaged the r/s rear door.

Drivers door has been cut for something, it is a square cut and not oval like for a speaker, just going to replace it.

Another interior shot..

Underneath it is in very good shape, a little wire brushing on the rust spots and paint it up.

It has new fender wells on both sides but needs a R/S fender, it is rotted around the lower front.

See less See more
#143 ·
If it comes apart cleanly and doesn't mess the gasket I would reuse it, same goes for the intake, at lot of times you reuse it also.

#144 ·
The Banks install manual says you dont use one. Seems wrong to me. But it also says there is NOT a gasket in between the turbo and the exhaust manual. Maybe I need to reread the manual.

#146 ·
Wow! Thank you for the insight. The only part missing from the kit I got was the gasket that goes in between the turbo and down pipe. Or the 2 of them when using the heat shield.

#147 ·
I have no gaskets on the Banks system except between the turbo and the downpipe.

When I pulled the exhaust manifold off my old motor, it all looked good.

#148 ·
I've been looking for the down pipe to turbo gasket. Well 2 of them, id like to put the heat shield on the turbo. Do I have to go through banks? I tried ebay and amazon for a quick look.

#150 ·
Got one of the Alcoa's on today, next weekend I will do the other one.

Guy wanted to charge me $5 for a mount and balance, I told him to take $10 out of that twenty. I think at $10 a mount and balance more than fair.

#154 ·
Only other option is stick on weights on the back side of the center of the rim. But that still leaves the weight not exactly where it should be at.

#155 ·
There are weights on the inside too.

Is it me or does the wheel / tire appear to be too far back in the fenderwell?

Maybe it's the camera angle.

#156 ·
So I took a road trip to Vermont and picked up a Banks setup...
It doesn't look like it was on very long, the black paint is still on the downpipe and exhaust manifold, and the inlet on the turbo is super clean.
And everything is there, even the drain for the oil return.
$500.. it think it was well worth it.

Also scored brand new Banks pyro and boost for $60.. :clap:

#157 ·
I was wondering the same thing, looked set back some. Might be angle like you suggested

#159 ·
From what I can tell they might have put this turbo on a weak motor...
Took the cover off the air box, the cdr connection and bottom of the air box is full of oil, but rest is clean inside including the intake hat and pipe to the intake.
It wasn't on a motor too long from what I can tell.

#160 ·
The oil in the intake is pretty normal though it usually is just a little bit - enough that it will drip out but not splash around. My old motor seemed to do it a lot more than the new one but that might just be my imagination.

Reactions: Bigboytoys
#162 ·
Man that was right over the river, oh well, I got a great running 6.5TD for the same price.
I have a 6.5 setup but didn't want to deal with hacking the heater box to use it.
He wasn't advertising it, I asked on the off road farcebook group if anyone had one.

#168 ·
Used the Honda truck to pick up a cowl hood today.
Ummm guy....:coffee:.... your "truck" isn't big enough to even carry a part of a real truck inside ha haha ...:coolnana:

#171 ·
Got the winch bumper mounted this morning, needs a little tweaking on the l/s, nothing a come along and a tree can't handle.

Another issue has cropped up, it will run for about 5 minutes then die.
This morning I put a clear hose on the return and the first time it died the hose was full of fuel, the second time it was showing air, so I guess I have an air leak to chase down.

Reactions: Ruffian
#172 ·
Loosen the fuel cap and retest or you have a weak fuel pump possibly

#173 ·
Fuel cap is off, fuel pump looks new.
Checking the routing of the fuel lines now, when it was running I opened the bleeder on the firewall filter and nothing not even a dribble :eek:

:think: :Insane:

#174 ·
maybe this is too obvious but, are you fuel return lines all snug?

#177 ·
I checked them when I set it up to just use the r/s tank.
Bypassed the switching valve and lines go right from the r/s tank to the front of the truck.

#175 ·
Yup, replace the lift pump....:coffee:

#176 ·
:banghead: It's brand new.... I wonder if it's a gasser one.
Guess I will find out.
I have a Airtex electric pump that I was going to use on the K20.

One thing I noticed, the exhaust pipes have Diesel dripping out of them.
Wonder if the injection pump took a dump, only has 67k on it, but I am betting it has been sitting around for a while. The truck it came out of was rotted bad.
I have a brand new injection pump I got from a member here a while back.

#179 ·
No

#180 ·
What ^^^ he said annnnd ..... Whaading ding .... whaaap whap....

#181 ·
Ok class anybody see any issues here?

Symptoms are stalled after running 5 minutes a few times to no start now. (seems like it's not getting any fuel)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.