Diesel Place banner

1989 6.2 Gear Rollover Noise

Question: 
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigboytoys 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I recently acquired an 89 ton with a 6.2 and a SM465 transmission. The transmission made a noise and since I wanted to do highway driving with this truck I opted to swap it for an NV3500....after swapping the transmissions I have the EXACT same noise. It is quiet when idling in neutral with the clutch pedal pushed or released. It only makes the grinding-like noise in gear with clutch out and it is loud both inside the truck and 100 feet away. It is worse in the lower gears when taking off and right before pushing the clutch in to downshift. I didn't change the clutch, pressure plate or flywheel when I changed the trans but I did change the pilot bearing and throwout bearing. Does this sound like gear rollover noise or a bearing in the transmission? Would changing the clutch help the situation? Could pressure plate springs make this noise? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
#4 ·
I would personally upgrade the clutch to the best your budget will accommodate.

When i put a replacement engine in a ZR2 Blazer i picked up for my wife, i never had any question about putting in a stage 2 Centerforce clutch.

Which was a smart move......as i inherited it from her not too long after i put the truck on the road, lol!

#7 ·
Reactions: Bigboytoys
#9 ·
Could be the ring and pinion in the rear end if it only makes noise moving. I remember an old dodge with straight cut gears making a terrible noise while I was riding in the back. Check the drive shaft slop at the differential.

#10 ·
Hey, my advice is possibly worth something! And I'm late to the party too... BUT yah, changing clutches has made so much difference! It's like a totally different clutch!

Reactions: legendman
#11 ·
Hey, my advice is possibly worth something! And I'm late to the party too... BUT yah, changing clutches has made so much difference! It's like a totally different clutch!
No chit! :hehe:

Reactions: roadhog0
#12 ·
I shouldn't post late at night.... Damn that one was pretty obvious!

#13 ·
Forgot to ask, do you have a hanger bearing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.