Diesel Place banner

6.2 diesel

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  juanfo 
#1 ·
I have a question about the 6.2 liter diesel engine is it possible for me to take a 6.2 liter diesel engine from my suburban that's a 1989 and put it in a 1999 suburban and if so is it very hard to do alone

#2 ·
Is the '99 a diesel? If not, it's almost easier just to find a 6.5 suburban to start with. Although not impossible, the trans controller and other little items start to add up. I would also want to turbo the 6.2.

#3 ·
Check with your DMV first. Some states won't register a vehicle that has an engine from a previous generation vehicle. You can swap in newer engines into older rigs without much hassle, but not the other way around.

If you decide to go for it, it's not that big of a deal. Without knowing specifics about the trucks, hard to say exactly what will be needed. The transmission will need a stand alone controller since the 6.2 doesnt have the electronics to run it. That can be a very expensive part new, but can be found every now and then used for a reasonable price.

You will also need to have a new exhaust system made. Unless you are going to use 6.5 turbo stuff, then stock 6.5 exhaust will work.

Reactions: turbonator
#4 ·
well.....i put one in my ford ranger.....and i was alone.:idea:

it actually is made to bolt in the vehicle you own.

Reactions: happypunch
#5 ·
It will fit just fine. Getting it working like it should, that can be tricky. Everyone has a different skill level and what I think is a lot of work, isn't much to someone like TVM or the turbonators :rolleyes:

The parts truck I got for super cheap was a guys project that had taken him 2 years and he still hadn't finished fitting the 6.2 into a 1992 suburban. It was a really nice rig and probably wouldn't have taken much more to get working, but it was a 1/2 ton and most importantly, it wasn't a square body. I took all the bits I wanted out and parted out the rest.

Swapping in a 6.2 will be a lot simpler than dropping in a cummins, but isn't a task for someone who isn't at least somewhat mechanically savvy and persistent!

#6 · (Edited)
yes.....i was not being helpful.

simply put, its illegal in every state.

and regardless....not a showstopper for clowns like me.

breaking it down system by system, electrical, fuel, cooling, hvac, and transmission/transfer case controls will greatly reduce the project time and costs.

figure out each system before you even open the hood and construct it on the floor in the barn. this will eliminate any fear from mysteries of the machine.

execution will be just a matter of facts for you after that point.

it may sound like a lot, but a few shop manuals and some time studying them will be a small investment with the return your looking for ime.

on edit here....you can make it legal by using the correct era induction and pump in this case, as the 6.5 was a product at that point.

Reactions: happypunch
#7 ·
yes.....i was not being helpful.

simply put, its illegal in every state.

on edit here....you can make it legal by using the correct era induction and pump in this case, as the 6.5 was a product at that point.
Pardon?

#8 ·
So Richard, do you have a line on a 99 Burb for cheap? What motor is in it now? Have you ever done any engine swaps, or worked on your own 89?

#10 ·
Connecticut is replacement needs to be same year or newer, but it don't think they ever check. But invoices at the boneyard had to show year and vin of vehicle part was coming off of.
Now Diesel to gas or gas to Diesel is a whole nother headache, unless it's 20 years or older.

#16 ·
No, it's not.

We're not burdened with "newer engine only" crap.

#17 ·
Ah ya.. so. I wonder if hes gonna complete / attempt the swap or what not? :coffee:

#18 ·
As far as I know, none of that stuff matters in nebraska, although we don't have emissions testing of any kind.

#19 ·
the reason for no emission testing(same here where i live for now) is because no one would dare tamper with emission control devices..so why spend the money on the bureaucracy to deal with it(rare moments of sanity in government).....and if you have the same year or newer engine theres no worries about such matters....

with a hotrod or homebuild type title i dont have a year restriction newer model crap deal either.

In Ontario, if the vehicle was never offered with the engine you are swapping in, you simply have your vehicle registered under "hot rod" classification, and are exempt from emission testing (as per required for vehicles 7 yrs or older, down to & including 1988 model year).

Now....it's not just a "simple" task, but it's mostly bureaucratic paper work, & absolves the Ontario government from liability if someone (private or police) claim you installed a stolen engine/drivetrain.

i think you misunderstood my earlier post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.