6.2 coolant drain plug - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
roberz00
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.2 coolant drain plug

greetings to the wise ones of diesel technology,

Im currently in a debate as to whether or not the 6.2 diesel has an engine coolant drain plug/screw in bolt on the block like most gas motors do. If there is can anyone tell me where it is specifically or maybe even point me to a diagram somewhere? I say there is a screw in type plug but my friend says he has to knock out a plug/?!!??

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

one on each side of block, bolt, behind motor mount.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 8 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, airdog raptor 150 lift pump S&B cold air intake, Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs with studs on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
grape
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
one on each side of block, bolt, behind motor mount.
that sums it up, it's pretty much impossible to get to.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fred482`
Diesel Master

Not impossible, just difficult. GM never intended for it to be used for regular maintanance. I drain the blocks by pulling one headbolt (any one, pick an easy one to reach) and syphoning the coolant through a small, clear plastic tube. This is usually used prior to disassembling the engine for repairs.

Flushing the block for coolant maintanance can be more difficult. I wouldn't pull the motor mount bracket just to reach the drain plug. Sometimes the plug won't come out and/or breaks off in the block. Some plugs have square 1/4" recesses for using a 1/4" drive with extension to remove them. These are the ones I have found the remains of a 1/4" drive stuck in. Some plugs have an Allen style fitting, these sometimes can be coaxed out with a strong Allen socket. The ones with the square head, require a square socket to have a chance for removal.

No matter how you look at it, GM must have thought you'd never need to remove them or they would've used a 1/4" pipe thread plug with a 9/16" hex head fitting like the Olds 5.7's. Those were a piece of cake!
'82 GMC 6.2 N/A, 3/4T 4X4, THM 400HD, 4:10's, 240,000 Miles, 15.5 MPG highway, 13 City.
'84 Chev Suburban 6.2 N/A, 3/4T 4X4, 700R4HD, 4:10's, 210,000 Miles, 21 MPG highway, 16 City. Sold and performing daily duty in Indiana.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
roberz00
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks all. I had a feeling i was correct in my theory.

Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
cougarjohn
Diesel Technician

Coolant drain

If you are just trying to get all of the anti-freeze out of the system then do as I do. I drain the radiator and then I remove the thermostat from the system, remove the heater return hose from the radiator, put a heater hose stub with a cap in it on to the radiator heater inlet, start the engine, and run the engine with a water hose putting water in the radiator to equal the amount coming out of the heater hose until the water coming out is clear.

It is just too much work to remove the engine mounts and I sure don't want to remove the coolant plugs. Back in the old days, all engines had a block drain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.