Will not turn over - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
evilgenious
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Will not turn over

Hello all. This may be a bit premature as I have just started trying to figure this problem out, but I am always open to suggestion, and welcome any kind of help.
I bought an '85 motorhome with a 6.2 in it with a banks turbo, unsure if turbo is stock. Previous owner told me it did run, he just jumped it off every couple months and let it run for a while. He also told me the turbo was fried. He claimed it still ran ok, just started to heat up if you got it much over 55 mph. That's pretty much all I got out of him.
I drug it home, figured out where all the wires went on the batteries, got two hot batteries hooked up and gave it a shot. To my surprise it turned over real good for about 15 seconds and even tried to bust off, when it did so the ole lady let off the key, thinking it was started, it hadn't. No big deal, I told her to hit it again, starter engages, but no turn over. Batteries are charged, starter engages, and it doesn't seem to be a mechanical metalic sound when you try to start it, just bound up like cylinders full of water kinda bound. Gonna start digging in tommorow. Any and all suggestions appreciated, and I will keep posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
countryboy90
Diesel Technician

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Badger State Diesel Club Member

pull all the glow plugs and try cranking it over. if any liquid would be in the cylinders it would blow it out the glow plug hole.

91 Geo Prizm GSi (clone) 1.6L 5 speed. (For Sale)

85 K10 6.2 Diesel Reg. Cab long box. 6.2 turbo 4" lift currently awaiting body work... (The Beast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damutt
why? the only consistiany is the inconsisntancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Just repair, maintenance, and modifications. That, my friend, is a never ending circle. Do the middle one and you'll avoid the first one, giving you needed funds for the third one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathackr View Post
of course if your truck never breaks then you can never have an excuse to be stuck somewhere remote with a girl...so a reliable truck isn't always desireable
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deezel
Diesel Technician

Try turning it over by hand first. never turn over a locked up engine with the starter if that's the case.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
evilgenious
Diesel Enthusiast

injector?

I am going to assume these are injectors. I am also going to assume if I crack the line lose from the injector will do nothing, but if I crack the injector lose from the head will that be an exit? I will wait to hear if this is an ok idea or not. I am trying to post a pic, but my phone is not cooperating, of course.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
The Old Crank

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

If it turned over and wanted to start, its not hydro-locked, your starter is screwed, unless it dropped a rod when it tried to start. Undoing an injector line will do nothing for you. The idea of removing the glows was to blow out what ever is there and help purge the lines, but by the sounds of it, its ready to start.

drop the starter and clean it, fix it or replace it.

then you'll have to worry about this turbo issue and if he cooked pistons

edit.. or your flex plate could have a bad spot and its jammed up in there.

BTW
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FACTS AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2

Last edited by Diaric; 08-18-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Agreed on turning it over by hand and removing the GP's first.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluid damper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a super 60mm billet wheel at 22psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO and WATF.

2000 VW Jetta TDI, auto, black, leather, fully loaded, wife's new ride.

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, 12.5@104 mph.

1993 CBR900RR and 2000 GSXR750 race bike.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
The Old Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
Agreed on turning it over by hand and removing the GP's first.
read his post, its already turned over and almost started, it hasn't suddenly hydro-locked.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
read his post, its already turned over and almost started, it hasn't suddenly hydro-locked.
I did maybe an injector stuck open? Why take the chance? One of my customers did that, starter came flying off and he bent a rod.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluid damper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a super 60mm billet wheel at 22psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO and WATF.

2000 VW Jetta TDI, auto, black, leather, fully loaded, wife's new ride.

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, 12.5@104 mph.

1993 CBR900RR and 2000 GSXR750 race bike.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deezel
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Why take the chance? One of my customers did that, starter came flying off and he bent a rod.
So let's spin it over and get some good pics of what could happen for our entertainment.

Some things that could have happened 1. hydro-locked, 2. Starter locked up against ring gear, 3. Battery/cable failure, 4. Injection pump seized locking engine up.

Since it's been setting up a while #4 is a real possibility.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
The Old Crank

Quote:
I did maybe an injector stuck open? Why take the chance? One of my customers did that, starter came flying off and he bent a rod.
These injectors don't hydrolock a cylinder.
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.