Bye bye banks turbo? - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #41 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave0887 View Post

We really couldn't find anything wrong with it.
Pics?

What did you order?

Which turbo do you have?

If you couldn't find anything wrong with your turbo maybe the problem is some where else?
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, not much left
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #42 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave0887 View Post
Turbo is in pieces thanks to help from Dondandd.

We really couldn't find anything wrong with it.

You can see where the bushings contacted the shaft as there is a slight polish to the shaft, but there's nothing obviously damaged.

What i plan on doing is ordered a new turbo and rebuilding my existing one for a spare.

I have a feeling the current turbo has seen some very high EGTs going by the rig it came off of as it was used to tow something big and over long distances.

The truck was a converted TBI 454, crew cab long bed 2wd with a TH400, a USGear under/overdrive, a 5th wheel in the bed, full entertainment system complete with TV, and a sleeper mated into the rear cab window that extended into the bed.

couldn't find anything wrong with the truck body wise. No rust, no rot, nothing. The engine had a fairly fresh coat of cat yellow from top to bottom so someone built it. Couldn't find any external damage to the engine, but never heard it run either.
i did not realize the banks turbo was so big that it took 2 guys to R&R it........ so you are going to buy a new banks turbo? if you are buying the banks, seems pretty steep price to pay, consider from what you say it could be worth more than the truck.... should take kenny up on his offer for the gm-4 and just buy the pieces and rebuild the banks... just my .02 cents...
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

it's yours if you want it. I will give you an old downpipe to hack up.

1886 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM4 Turbo,DB24911 turned up.
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Good man Kenny, it will give Dave a chance to do some turbo comparisons and post up his results....
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Your money Dave, but I don't think you have found the problem. Every bad turbo I have ever seen has had a ton of play in the shaft to where the fins would hit the housing, the shaft would be scored and basicly junk, usually causing the seal to fail and letting oil go out the exhaust. All turbo's typically have some play in the shaft, and when oil pressure fills the bearings it takes up the play. Typically the only time the shaft should touch the bearings is at start up or if the engine is turned off too soon before the turbo spools down. If the turbo would have been oil starved, the shaft would be shot. Did you look carefully for an exhaust leak before you pulled the turbo? When the turbo was off and on the bench, would the wheel spin easy? By easy, it should be smooth with no rough spots. Adding a few drops of oil to the oil inlet should make it turn free also.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
Good man Kenny, it will give Dave a chance to do some turbo comparisons and post up his results....
I think the GM4 will out perform the banks but I would love to see a test.

1886 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM4 Turbo,DB24911 turned up.
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
Your money Dave, but I don't think you have found the problem. Every bad turbo I have ever seen has had a ton of play in the shaft to where the fins would hit the housing, the shaft would be scored and basicly junk, usually causing the seal to fail and letting oil go out the exhaust. All turbo's typically have some play in the shaft, and when oil pressure fills the bearings it takes up the play. Typically the only time the shaft should touch the bearings is at start up or if the engine is turned off too soon before the turbo spools down. If the turbo would have been oil starved, the shaft would be shot. Did you look carefully for an exhaust leak before you pulled the turbo? When the turbo was off and on the bench, would the wheel spin easy? By easy, it should be smooth with no rough spots. Adding a few drops of oil to the oil inlet should make it turn free also.
No exhaust leaks found. This engine is really sooty, so spotting a leak would be easy. i found nothing pre-turbo that would cause this.

Spoke with the head tech guy at banks and he says it's turbo related, along with a few other mechanic friends that have put their eyes and ears into this problem to help figure it out.

The shaft would not spin easily. It would bind randomly when turning it.

Adding oil didn't seem to help. it would free up for a second but would always return to sticking for some reason. If you let it sit for a bit it would be really tough to turn, but not a dragging against the housing kind of difficult. It didn't make any noise of wheels hitting housings when sticking and turning difficult.

I ordered a T04B from Banks, with gaskets and 3 day rush shipping for a little over $1,000.

The GM-4 won't out-perform the banks turbo. The banks unit doesn't have that backpressure wall, and with no overdrive, that's exactly where the engine sits on the highway. The banks unit is much free-er flowing. Sure the GM-4 would boost better off the line, but it would choke up later on.

The GM-4 wouldn't fit either. The GM-4s exhaust elbow is cast iron. There is no cutting and re-welding that to be leak free. The elbow points down at a 90* angle, where as the banks turbo exits right out the back of the turbine housing.

It is what it is.

I'm planning on ordering a CKO HX40WII and the downpipe kit for the other truck too as i have a bit of extra money coming in from a stock market fund of mine.

Eventually i will order a rebuild kit for the current turbo and keep it as a spare. I only paid $300 for the entire Banks kit including 3/4 of the exhaust system. The turbo doesn't owe me anything. I got 20,000+ miles out of it, and i ran it hard too.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here

Last edited by IamDave0887; 01-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

Dave,

It would be interesting to put a dial indicator on the shaft of your bad turbo. Remove the compressor wheel and indicate the shaft. I am thinking it sounds like the shaft could be bent and causing a bind up in the bearings. In fact, if found to be bent, it could have a crack and be ready to break. Just a thought. I would expect to see some runout based on your symptoms.

One other thought, could be a problem with the seal in the turbo, binding up.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels

Last edited by D.Camilleri; 01-23-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #49 (permalink)
tanman_2006
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have a rebuilt banks t04b on the shelf. If i would have seen this thread earlier i would have made you a deal... Its set up for running on 6.5's with a custom DP elbow.

Glad you got it figured out.

My GM3's cast turn down unbolts from the turbo fyi. I think a new flange could be made with a direct outlet.

06 Chevy LT1 CCSB 4x4 LBZ 305/55R20 ATZ 20x9 XD Badlanders http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tanman/k2500
00 Chevy 3500 4x4 6.5TD 4.10's Crew Cab Dually 4L80
95 Chevy 1500 Z71 6.5TD 3.73's AMSOIL Buddy 6 Banger http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tanman/k1500
94 Chevy 3500 4x4 6.5TD 4.10's Dually NV4500
93 GMC 3500 4x4 6.5TD 4.10's C&C Dually NV4500
93 GMC 3500 4x2 6.5TD 4.10's Crew Cab Dually 4L80
82 GMC 1500 6.2 700R4 (being gutted)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #50 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman_2006 View Post
I have a rebuilt banks t04b on the shelf. If i would have seen this thread earlier i would have made you a deal... Its set up for running on 6.5's with a custom DP elbow.

Glad you got it figured out.

My GM3's cast turn down unbolts from the turbo fyi. I think a new flange could be made with a direct outlet.
Damn it....

Oh well. New turbo arrived yesterday.

Still want to sell it?

Another spare cant hurt, and i'd like to see how a banks until runs on a 6.5 anyways. lol.

Gonna order a HX40WII for the 96 at some point.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here

Last edited by IamDave0887; 01-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.