83 glow plug issues - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
zetan
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If your glow plug solenoid is not working, then a push button will not help.
Push button solves a GP Controller problem.

You need this item to work to switch the high current.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-85-6-2-6-...beb016&vxp=mtr

1984 GMC Rally Custom G25 6.2L N/A fluiddampr NV4500 NP241 14 bolt & Dana 44HD 8 lug 4.10

1966 GMC K10 Suburban 4x4 future home of a 6.2L

1960 Chevy K10 283ci 4x4 shortstep in pieces
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Soaper
Diesel Technician

im taking away the glow plug solenoid and replacing with a starter solenoid. ill have a push button.

Push button will work cause i wont have the amps going through the switch.

the webpage is on the first page... i lsited it.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Just to make sure, you are ordering the proper glow plug relay for year of 6.2 van? A solenoid is just a heavy duty switch. Power goes to one of the large studs from the battery. One of the small studs on the front of the solenoid gets keyed 12v to it. The other small stud when grounded completes the circuit and allows the coil inside of the solenoid to pull the contacts together and energizes the other large stud on the solenoid which powers the other large stud that connects to the glow plug harness. The orientation of the small wires on the front of the solenoid is important. If you reverse the wires I don't think it will work. You can test the solenoid on a bench with just the two small lugs. One with 12v and the other to ground. I hope I have explained this well enough for you to understand it.

The other thing to know is that there are other solenoids that may look the same as your specific application but could operate different.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
Soaper
Diesel Technician

everythings hooked up.... im pretty sure my wires are right... but could be wrong.
on the old style glow plug solenoid does the 12V lead goto the right or left stud?

my type of glow plug solenoid
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...make=Chevrolet

Last edited by Soaper; 01-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

On the high current side , unless the solenoid is marked battery and load, which they aren't 99% of the time, it doesn't matter which way you hook it up.
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
Soaper
Diesel Technician

we can end this thread with i dont know whats going on.... not to worried about it to say the least....

however. i will install a manual switch and replace glow plug solenoid with a ford starter soelnoid and call it good.
im done trying to chase the wiring gremlins and ill prolly delete most of the glow plug harness and keep it manual since that controller doesnt really help do anything for me if there manual.

also with the block heater plugged in i can get my van started after a couple times of cranking and the cylinders get some warmth in them. but it works for now.

Thanks for the help guys... i really cant understand why its doing this craziness even when i straight hook the solenoid up. maybe its a bad solenoid... but im done with the guessing waiting games.

manual switch is and always will be the easiest way to go. and ill make sure not to over glow. i know my glowplugs arent stock. but doesnt mean there not stock replacements. so ill just glow for 7seconds if really cold. for now i dont even need the glows.

Thansk agian!

new threads coming soon with whats this or that wire.... lol
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Soaper
Diesel Technician

update... still dont know why 4 glow plug solenoids wouldnt click... even when i directly connected them to the battery and ground...

however while going through my shed i noticed a i had a brand new starter solenoid from my 04 Lightning. so i have that wired in now with a push button... i glow it for 9 seconds then off... it doesnt need much since its plugged in all the time.

but figured id give a heads up... not to worried about it... but alot of the stuff that controls the glowplugs is gonna get pulled off now since its useless to me.

thanks agian for the help guys and maybe this thread will help someone in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.