Cold air intake - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Justonv
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Cold air intake

Hey guys, I've been prowling around for a while looking at different solutions for increasing the amount of air getting to my engines, including this thread here:
Air intake/cleaner mod

I don't really have the time right now to completely fab up something like that, but in the thread it was suggested to find a dual snorkel intake of an old muscle car. In my search for something like that, I came across this, and thought you guys might be interested.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/spectre-air.../p2032051.jcwx

They have two different ones on there, I personally like the dual cold air tubes for my 6.2, but the other looks pretty sweet too... and I've got a couple SBC powered vehicles around too . Any thoughts on these? I know it's $200 bucks, but it sure looks nice! How do you guys think they would work out?

82 K10 Suburban 6.2 700r4

80 K10 Shortwide 350 TH350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Trouble with air cleaner off of something else than a 6.2 is the size of the hole in the base of the air cleaner that sits on top of the intake.

Best bet is to save your pennies for a 6.5 turbo setup to throw on it.

For what you would pay for that setup JC Whitney has you would be halfway to what 6.5 turbo setups are going for.

Here is a thread to get your gears turning
I have seen this truck in the flesh and it sounds awesome

So it begins...My CUCV M1008
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, not much left
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Justonv
Diesel Enthusiast

Eventually I plan to turbo it, but right now, I just don't have the funds. I haven't found the scrap yards around here to be very helpful in the cheap parts department, but I do try to look around once in a while. I would also like to swap in a NV4500 tranny, but again, that will have to wait until I can scrape it up. I just thought that was a cool, clean looking intake, that might help out in the air delivery department.

Speaking of the hole, is it not the same 5 1/8" or whatever size that most every other GM with a top mount air cleaner is? I've had my air cleaner off, but just didn't think to measure it.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justonv View Post
Speaking of the hole, is it not the same 5 1/8" or whatever size that most every other GM with a top mount air cleaner is?
Nope, 6.2's and 6.5's NA have a huge opening compared to a gasser. The non soot jockey's are 5 1/8, we run em a little bigger at near 6in.
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Justonv
Diesel Enthusiast

Good to know, thanks.

On a side note to the turbo thing, I have heard you run into issues with your A/C when you mount up a turbo setup off a 6.5. My suburban is the only one of my three vehicles that has working air, so I don't want to give that up, haha. I know it can be worked around, but I was wondering if anyone had used one of the center mount turbo setups on one of these style of trucks, and if that helped with clearance issues, or if it was even more issues?

Last edited by Justonv; 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

Go with a Banks then. No clearance issues with A/C.

1886 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM4 Turbo,DB24911 turned up.
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

Ya but the problem is Banks stuff doesn't just doesn't wind up dang near free like the 6.5 stuff
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
Ya but the problem is Banks stuff doesn't just doesn't wind up dang near free like the 6.5 stuff
And you can put an even bigger turbo on the 6.5 setup :P
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Landmine
Diesel Technician
Formerly zland76

Get cts why you can, they blow away the gm manifold
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine View Post
Get cts why you can, they blow away the gm manifold
??

1886 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM4 Turbo,DB24911 turned up.
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.