pulling fuel injector issues... - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

If you have unburnt fuel, turning the pump up more, will not fix this. Turning the pump up will not change whether or not the pump is creating enough pressure to pop injectors. The highest pop pressure that we seen is just over 3,000psi. These injector pumps create 10,000 psi, and is a wear issue between plungers and the rotor and the wear between the head and rotor. The common symptoms are erratic pumping (missing) and hard starting when pump is wearing out.

If your timing is still too advanced, you need to retard it a little more. The white smoke when you first start the truck, is improperly burnt fuel. As the truck warms up, this smoke clears. When running on the highway, pump will be advanced due to housing pressure increase due to rpm's (internal charge pump) If pump is too far advanced, the fuel is being injected before the cylinder compression is at optimum to burn the fuel. You could have the scenario very similar to when truck is warming up. Retard the timing a little more, until you have a noticeable stumble when pressing the advance lever on the side of the pump.

Do a couple more runs with it retarded another dimes width and give us news.
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Last edited by turbonator; 11-19-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
boyjeenyus
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Will try to retard the timing a bit and get back to you. Thanks a ton for all your great suggestions, fellas!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

break out your big screw-driver and have at her....
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
boyjeenyus
Diesel Enthusiast

obvious/stupid question: which way do I rotate the pump compared to the engine to retard the timing? I've found directions online that mention both ways to advance
Thanks!
stephen
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
move it 1/2 a lines width to the passenger side to retard it.
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
boyjeenyus
Diesel Enthusiast

update:

Sweet! So drove to for 14 hours the other day with a good bit of white. Finally figured out how to get to that 3rd injection pump bolt (just had to remove one of the oil pump brackets so I could turn my wrench). Turned to pump to passenger side about 1/16 of an inch (dimes' width). Drove for 10 minutes after retarding...seems to be much better in terms of white smoke! YAY! It still only slows down when I push the advance arm, so I may try to go farther with it in a few days to see what happens. What will I see if I go to far? I do want it to stumble a bit when I push on that advance arm, right?

Thanks for everything guys!
Stephen
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

Retard the timing a little more, until you have a noticeable stumble when pressing the advance lever on the side of the pump.
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.