Diesel Place banner

pulling fuel injector issues...

6K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigboytoys 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my injectors and ran into a few issues with 3 of them--this is a 91 g30 van, if that makes a difference: it seems as though the passenger side ones have the head bolts butted almost against the injectors. SO my 30mm socket won't fit down between the head bolt and 2 of the 4 injectors to get enough purchase to twist them. Has anyone actually had to pull some head bolts to get these out, or is there a thinner-walled socket out there?

I'm having some clearance issue on the farthest forward driver side injector with the firewall. I can fit the socket, but can quite fit my breaker bar or ratchet onto it in place--might try to find a 30 mm wrench to get that one..

Anyway, I just figured I'd ask if anyone has had any experiences like this in case there are some "dirty little secrets" that could help make my life a little easier.
Cheers!
Stephen

#32 ·
Will try to retard the timing a bit and get back to you. Thanks a ton for all your great suggestions, fellas!

#33 ·
break out your big screw-driver and have at her....

#34 ·
obvious/stupid question: which way do I rotate the pump compared to the engine to retard the timing? I've found directions online that mention both ways to advance :)
Thanks!
stephen

#36 ·
update:

Sweet! So drove to for 14 hours the other day with a good bit of white. Finally figured out how to get to that 3rd injection pump bolt (just had to remove one of the oil pump brackets so I could turn my wrench). Turned to pump to passenger side about 1/16 of an inch (dimes' width). Drove for 10 minutes after retarding...seems to be much better in terms of white smoke! YAY! It still only slows down when I push the advance arm, so I may try to go farther with it in a few days to see what happens. What will I see if I go to far? I do want it to stumble a bit when I push on that advance arm, right?

Thanks for everything guys!
Stephen

#37 ·
Retard the timing a little more, until you have a noticeable stumble when pressing the advance lever on the side of the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.