82 k30 project - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
82k10
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

82 k30 project

I got a new diesel project. I have been looking for a 4x4 1 ton for a while and I wanted a diesel. I found this truck. It is an 82. I have been trying to get it running. I put new glow plugs in it. I bled the system when the glows were out. The glow plug controller is working properly. It cranked up and quit, and now it will not hit.
My question is how long will diesel remain good in the tank. The truck has not been started in at least 10 years, possibly longer. Should I drain the tanks and start with fresh diesel? Or will the old diesel burn? Here is a pic of the truck:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

First welcome
Second.... Nice truck I own a 82 K30 myself

My 84 K20 Had 5 year old diesel in it and I was able to run it no problem.
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, it's all gone
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg

Last edited by legendman; 10-26-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Edit: I missed in your post were you said you bled the system.
Did you get dribbles of fuel from the lines?

Any smoke from the tail pipes?

I guess solenoid must be working if you were able to bleed the system.

How do you know your glows are working?
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, it's all gone
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg

Last edited by legendman; 10-26-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
82k10
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I first took a hand pump and pumped diesel up to the primary filter on the firewall. I then pulled all of the glow plugs and turned the engine over with a couple of lines broke at the injectors with the pedal to the floor and got fuel there. When I tightened the lines I turned it over more and it was blowing diesel out the glow plug holes like a fine mist or smoke. So I know it is getting fuel. Next I installed new 60g's tonight. I also checked to make sure it was getting voltage to all of the plugs which it was. I could not see if it smoked any tonight when I tried to start it. This weekend I am going to plug in the block heater and let it warm the engine for a few hours before I try it again.

The diesel does not smell very fresh. A guy told me that the octane part of the fuel can evaporate out of the diesel, but I have never heard that before.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

It should hit on the old diesel. I started a truck up with 7 or 8 year old diesel without too much of a problem (some black some and that's it). I think 60g's heat up real slow. You may need to manually bypass the glow plug controller and heat the plugs longer.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Master

I would try and re bleed the system again but you do have to explain the whole hand pump thing. Did you install it, bleed the system, remove it then run it? If you did ya probably got a burp of air in the line.
1990 Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4, in the shop is a possible 6.5? Turbo in the wings. Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, NV4500+205 sitting in the shop. 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC Lock up Control. 10's front and back, 60 front and 14 bolt rear real soon? 4" Lift and 31 10.50's. Many twisted drive shafts F&R. Manual and auto high idle. Heated Fuel lines. Enough lighting to make day light

Old SOBs member #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
82k10
Diesel Enthusiast

I may have to bypass the plugs. I just dont want to fry my glow plug controller that screws into the drivers side head. Will bypassing do any harm to it? Or should I just unplug the controller when I bypass the switch on the drivers fender?
I will heat it with the block heater before I try again. I need to make sure the starter bracket is on it also. I dont want my starter falling off!!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I'm not truly sure how to do it on the early trucks (my truck came with a push button glow plug setup). But the 60g's are a SLOW plug to heat up. I'm talking about 15 seconds on a 40* day, that's what it took on my old motor before I went to duratherms.

The brace is Important! I broke a starter bolt due to not having a bracket on mine.... Moron of a previous owner....
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
82k10
Diesel Enthusiast

Here is a pic of under the hood when I got the truck. It was the worst rat nest I have ever seen. The rat rode all the way from Arizona to my house in Mississippi. Not a very good pic but I will get more pics in the next day or two. I hope to make a good truck out of it. I really like the 6.2's.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
82k10
Diesel Enthusiast

I knew I should have bought the duratherms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.