Diesel Place banner

A little trouble with the 6.2 this morning

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Diaric 
#1 ·
Howdy folks, I have had my 6.2 for a couple of years now and it has always run like a champ, but this morning it was giving me a little grief. Nothing major at this point but as I came to an idle at a stop light it suddenly died on me. I started it up, and it died again, thankfully on the second try it fired up and I made it home.. almost. It then preceded to die right out in front of my house. once again I fired it back up and pulled in the driveway.

I'm just wondering what this problem might be, I just changed the filter recently, although i suppose that doesn't mean it isn't clogged already. Could it be my lift pump? or maybe the I.P or a bad injector? thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Could be the fuel filter base if you have the box filter. Could be the metering valve inside the IP getting stuck.... What truck? Mods?

#3 ·
its an 89 gmc burb 1500. no mods to speak of other than taking of the "intake muffler". I am storing up parts to throw a turbo on it eventually, but havnt actually done anything yet. It does have the box filter, what with the base would case it stall and die like that?

#6 ·
you can find it at any autoparts store for pennies a foot and all you need is about 6-8"'s 3/16ths I.D if I'm not mistaken. Replace the IP return line with it and look for bubbles. Make sure to also get some very small hose clamps, the ones that are there now are too big.

The cheapest is vinyl but it gets hard and brittle in the hot engine compartment but that takes months.

#7 ·
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the restriction switch in the filter base is sucking air then based on your truck. Same exact thing happened to mine. You can either carefully remove it and replace the o-ring on it, or remove it and plug the hole, or get an entire new filter setup.

#8 ·

#11 ·
Diaric wins thread derailment......

#12 ·
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.

*Hides in corner and hopes to not get hit with some sort of disciplinary action*

Seriously though, sounds like air or a lack of fuel pressure. Pretty typical clogged fuel filter symptoms... Maybe you got a bad load of fuel. My first test would be fuel filter on this one. That's just seat of the pants, but I've clogged lots of fuel filters and that's about how it goes.

#13 ·
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
Thanks John, new sig quote.

I'd check the lift pump first for supply, then change the filters. agree with others, its probably one of these or a real bad air leak

#15 ·
Hello threaders! I am not likely to do this but I've wondered when I see a souped-up diesel pickup truck ....how much do those twin stacks in the air cost? And if you got it exhaling like that - there must be a lot more to it than what meets the eye ??? Merely curious, is all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.