Twin Turbo banks 6.2L - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
spectreblazer
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Twin Turbo banks 6.2L

i have 2 banks sidewinder kits that i have laying around and i'm kicking around twin turboing the 6.2L i have.

it is mildly built to take boost but i was wondering if you guys have ever seen anyone flip the manifolds over and using the normal passenger side banks manifold on the driver side or if it would even work (i'm away from home for school and don't have the truck) or is the shape different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
RCpullerdude
Diesel Master

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

You'll need a couple smaller turbos to make it work. The driver side charger would also end up tucked back towards the firewall. May see steering shaft interference issues.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
spectreblazer
Diesel Technician

wouldn't it still be around 10psi of boost though?

i can see steering shaft interference too..didn't think of that good point.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
RCpullerdude
Diesel Master

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

No. The stock Banks charger is a large non gated charger. If you run true twin Banks chargers, you'd be lucky to ever get them to spool. It'd be more fitted to a 12.4L than a 6.2L.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Altec
Diesel Fanatic

To explain about the turbo size. Your engine has a certain flow rate at a given RPM. A example is at 1800rpm you are flowing roughly 13.2lbs/min, at 2400rpm you are looking at roughly 17.8lbs/min, and at 3400rpm you are flowing 25.1lbs/min (These are very rough, uncorrected numbers for a 6.5).

Now, a turbocharger turbine section is designed to do its job within a specific flow range. Where it starts, and where it peaks. If we look up some turbo chargers, we can find the turbine, and compressor maps. In this instance, we want the turbine map. I looked up a basic Garrett model because they are one of the few companies that don't keep this information locked away. If you click the link below, you can see the turbine map.

Now, if we look at the turbine map we will see the flow on one axis, and the pressure ratio on the other. Pressure ratio is easily figured out with some simple math, but it amounts to your boost level...

So now that we know what we are looking at, we can plug our numbers in. If we take the flow number for 1800rpm (13.2), we will see we are just below the area of operation. However if we bring the RPM's up to 2400 (17.8) we start getting into the range of the smallest A/R turbine at lower boost levels. 2400RPM and 10psi (1.68) ends up just below the range. If we come up to 3000rpm (22.1), we find ourselves in about a perfect range. However, at close to redline, you end up very much above the line.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...R_714568_3.htm

So, with the information above, we now know a GT35 is a decent turbo for mid range power, but is going to peak out in the higher RPM's. However, you aren't seeing how much boost you can make, so in that sense this isn't a problem. But, considering anything above that line is where the turbo is "choking" (How it turns exhaust gas into energy), you are looking at a higher back pressure on the engine, and higher EGT's. Now, if you are building a tow rig that is going to be riding in those upper RPM's a lot this is a problem. A DD/toy on the other hand won't see much in this range for long.

I hope these examples help you understand how feeding a turbo works. To feed twins, you are basically going to have to half the flow numbers.

This is kinda the crash course, and missing a lot of details. I suggest starting looking around google for articles. There is a bunch of good stuff out there.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
spectreblazer
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
To explain about the turbo size. Your engine has a certain flow rate at a given RPM. A example is at 1800rpm you are flowing roughly 13.2lbs/min, at 2400rpm you are looking at roughly 17.8lbs/min, and at 3400rpm you are flowing 25.1lbs/min (These are very rough, uncorrected numbers for a 6.5).

Now, a turbocharger turbine section is designed to do its job within a specific flow range. Where it starts, and where it peaks. If we look up some turbo chargers, we can find the turbine, and compressor maps. In this instance, we want the turbine map. I looked up a basic Garrett model because they are one of the few companies that don't keep this information locked away. If you click the link below, you can see the turbine map.

Now, if we look at the turbine map we will see the flow on one axis, and the pressure ratio on the other. Pressure ratio is easily figured out with some simple math, but it amounts to your boost level...

So now that we know what we are looking at, we can plug our numbers in. If we take the flow number for 1800rpm (13.2), we will see we are just below the area of operation. However if we bring the RPM's up to 2400 (17.8) we start getting into the range of the smallest A/R turbine at lower boost levels. 2400RPM and 10psi (1.68) ends up just below the range. If we come up to 3000rpm (22.1), we find ourselves in about a perfect range. However, at close to redline, you end up very much above the line.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...R_714568_3.htm

So, with the information above, we now know a GT35 is a decent turbo for mid range power, but is going to peak out in the higher RPM's. However, you aren't seeing how much boost you can make, so in that sense this isn't a problem. But, considering anything above that line is where the turbo is "choking" (How it turns exhaust gas into energy), you are looking at a higher back pressure on the engine, and higher EGT's. Now, if you are building a tow rig that is going to be riding in those upper RPM's a lot this is a problem. A DD/toy on the other hand won't see much in this range for long.

I hope these examples help you understand how feeding a turbo works. To feed twins, you are basically going to have to half the flow numbers.

This is kinda the crash course, and missing a lot of details. I suggest starting looking around google for articles. There is a bunch of good stuff out there.
thanks for the advice. i'll be looking into it.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
m0t0x66
Diesel Enthusiast

Would you consider selling one of your sidewinder kits?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

6.5 manifolds would probably work better as they are more centered. you'd have to block the crossover ports.Getting the exhaust o exit the drivers side should be a treat too as it's barely do able on the pass side on an OBS truck.

1886 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM4 Turbo,DB24911 turned up.
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan

Last edited by acesneights1; 10-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Altec
Diesel Fanatic

Now here is a thought, what about under slung Turbos? Mounted somewhere around the bell housing. You could use factory 6.2NA manifolds to feed them, pipe the inlets to a nice spot, and run the outlet either right up to the intake, or have a couple small intercoolers upfront. It is a lot of pipe if you run intercoolers, but still not out of the range of sanity.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Now here is a thought, what about under slung Turbos? Mounted somewhere around the bell housing. You could use factory 6.2NA manifolds to feed them, pipe the inlets to a nice spot, and run the outlet either right up to the intake, or have a couple small intercoolers upfront. It is a lot of pipe if you run intercoolers, but still not out of the range of sanity.

Gunfreak has a good candidate for this type of setup, look at all the room he's got
GMC M211 6x6
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, not much left
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.