Diesel Place banner

Changing lift pump found an odd spring

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Livelli 
#1 ·
In the process of changing the lift pump on my 6.2. was struggling to push the pump rod back up so I could slip the pump back. Was having a devil of a time. So I said the heck with it I'll just removed that other plate the pump bolts to. A yellow spring came out with that plate. Now I have replaced my share of SBC/BBC pumps and never found a loose spring in that area. Is this normal for a 6.2?

#3 ·
Could it have been the spring from the Lift pump itself.

If you depress the fuel pump lever, it has a ton of resistance, and pops back up when you let go. Ergo there's a spring in there somewheres.

#4 ·
I checked the old pump for spring pressure. That was the first thing I thought of also. Apparently whatever it was was not needed. It runs like a champ, as usual. This was not a fun job...lol Almost as bad as replacing the last injector next to the heater/AC box. That was a mutha.

That spring I swear looks like a spring from the injection pump. Or from an injection pump.

This engine never ceases to amaze me. 600k on her and she still runs like a top.

Thanks for the replies.

#5 ·
Could've been a spring from anywhere. These engines will chew up just about anything with little complaint. Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.