Diesel Place banner

banks turbo on a 6.2 liter diesel, oil leak puzzle.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  maxpanic 
#1 ·
So here is a puzzle. I spent the three day weekend basicly changing my glow plugs on my blazer. I had to take out the banks turbo and the exhuast pipe that goes from the turbo to the exhaust pipes to the muffler. got the spark plugs changed and then put it all back together. so I am driving home today and things seem fine until I pull into the drive way and the oil is pouring out of the bottom of the passanger side right in the same area that I removed the turbo and replaced it. so I turn off the engine, check the oil level and had to add 2 quarts. then I turn the engine back on to try and see where its leaking from and nothing. no leak showing at all. I have about a quart of oil under the car and now it won't leak at all. The oil is covering the top side of the passanger window well and there is a lot of oil below the turbo which is right next to the alternator. but I don't see anything leaking. I rev the engine, I drive up and down the driveway and nothing. no leaking. What is this about? Any idea?

#2 ·
Sorry, new to diesel, not a joke just a mistake. the glow plugs is what I meant. boy, I am in to much of a hurry. so on the bottom of the turbo there is a pipe going into it. and unknown to me its oil going into the bottom of the turbo. I didn't know turbos needed oil from the engine. anyway, there is a gasket where the oil pipe seals into the bottom of the turbo, that is what was leaking. sorry for the trouble.

#4 ·
have you repaired it? you can cut a new one out of a cereal box and coat it with some gasket goo stuff ( RTV sealant) and reinstall it and it wont leak. ive done this countless times on my tractors and other trucks and stuff. worked everytime.

#5 ·
you can cut a new one out of a cereal box and coat it with some gasket goo stuff ( RTV sealant) and reinstall it and it wont leak. ive done this countless times on my tractors and other trucks and stuff. worked everytime.
X2 works as good as a new gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.