Diesel Place banner

can I mix lucas fuel additive with an anti- gelling additive?

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  smackzed 
#1 ·
just bought a 91 burban with 6.2 banks turbo diesel. It's my first diesel, and I don't know a whole lot about it yet. I have been running lucas fuel additive in it as I do with my other vehicles. It is supposed to drop down to about 11 degrees tonight, and be around 17 tomorrow night. Was wondering if it would be ok to also mix in an anti- gelling additive or if that would cause a problem? I park the burban outside, but I do keep the block heater plugged in, and usually drive it every day.

#4 ·
mixing it shouldnt be a problem. you can get products that are a fuel treatment and antigel in one. i use power serve. white jug in the winter and silver jug rest of the year.

#5 ·
Power Service is most popular, followed by Howe's. in most places the fuel is blended for winter and anti gels aren't necessary. avoid any with alcohols

#7 ·
diaric, i wish they cared enough around here to treat the fuel before it gets to my tank, but they dont. do you have to pay extra for treated fuel there? itd be nice to not spend the 15 bucks on power serve. wow, now that i type that i feel cheap. lol.

#8 ·
no. regular diesel changes throughout the year. a lot of frozen semi's on the road wouldn't be a very good thing.

#9 ·
I don't know how much anti-gel they use around here in the diesel, but i still continually run TC-W3 in my oil as a lubricant and i haven't had a problem with fuel gelling. Even in temps lower than what you'll be experiencing. Not too much lower yet though, still kinda warm for this time of year.

Anyway, better safe than sorry though.

#11 ·
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. 8oz of PS is lots and lots. More than enough to prevent any fuel gelling unless you're going down to -40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.