How to fix leaking 6.2 fuel filter housing? Or where to buy replacement? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
chevyr20usaf
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How to fix leaking 6.2 fuel filter housing? Or where to buy replacement?

Well, I found the cause of my poor starting, it was a leak on my fule canister housing - problem is - I am not sure where exactly the leak is coming from on the housing.

For now I have bypassed the OEM fuel filter entirely with an inline filter, but I would like to get the original setup working again.

Does any one know if there is anywhere to get this serviced/checked if I send it away? I have not been able to track down a complete new item with the electrical parts, but have found the basic mounting on ebay.

I am thinking that a couple of the sensors that are attached to the housing may be leaking, but I dont know where to get these parts either - have tried LMC truck etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Anyone having a good used fuel filter housing with electrical items for sale please send me a PM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Joeairforce
Gone Crazy... Back soon..

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

It's probably your vac/restriction sensor that's leaking..... That's a common problem on these filter bases..... (It goes in the big circular area you see in the base you linked) I was able to fix mine by carefully pulling it out and replacing the o-ring on it..... Another fix is to just pull it out and tap the hole in the place for it and put a screw in the hole with something to help seal it up......

You won't find anything new for them because they were discontinued by GM a long time ago...... Only place you'll find a replacement is a junkyard or e-bay....... A lot of guys just replace it with a different fuel/water separator filter setup......

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NSMC Life Member (National Street Machine Club)
Air force Veteran (7 years 6/01-5/08)

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Last edited by Joeairforce; 10-20-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
chevyr20usaf
Diesel Enthusiast

awesome - I think that is exactly the problem! what else does the fule filter housing do? I have tried researching in my manuals and online but as it is old, I catn get a clear idea of what all the wires/hoses are for.

I will remove it and carefully see if I can replace that o ring - any special tips on where to get a replacement o ring?

Thank you so much.

Tom
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Joeairforce
Gone Crazy... Back soon..

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

There's the vac/restriction sensor that is supposed to tell you when the filter is clogged, there's a heater (the wires that come out the top), and there's a WIF (water in fuel) sensor that tells you when you need to drain the water out of the filter...

I'd just go to Autozone or anywhere that sells o-rings and match one up.... (I just happened to have some extra o-rings laying around of which one fit when I did mine)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NSMC Life Member (National Street Machine Club)
Air force Veteran (7 years 6/01-5/08)

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
chevyr20usaf
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks v much Joe - very helpful! Will post again once I have had time to fix up the leaky seal.

Cheerio from an ex New Zealand AF Avionics Mechanic (1983-1985)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
englishjimmyfan
Diesel Technician

am still none the wiser!
who makes a repair kit for the 6.2 canister type main filter housing?
the one on the bulkhead.
you'd sell loads!
dodgy '83 6.2 jimmy k5
'83 vw camper 2.0 cu
'95 vw passat 2.0 8v (only 170,000m)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rickf
Diesel Fanatic

Mine leaked from the small (5/16"?) welch/freeze plug on the side of the housing. Cleaned it up with acetone and plugged it with epoxy.

past performance is no guarantee of future gains, your results may differ.

Currently a 2000 GMC 6.5, 4L80E, K34F, w/122,000 miles which replaced a 1993 GMC 6.5, NV4500 K24F, w/340,000 which replaced a 1986 K5 Blazer 6.2, TH400 "J" code, which replaced a 1984 C10, 6.2, 700R4, which replaced a 1981 VW 1.6 Diesel.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
legendman
6BT Square Body

CT Smoke Member

Save yourself some grief and swap out the model 80 (squarebox filter) for a round spin on.
If one o-ring is leaking who's to say any other o-rings and gaskets aren't far behind.

There is no need for the heater, I ran this winter without it no problem and you can get round filters with a water drain.
Do remember that boost is just a measurement of restriction and more isn't always better
82 K30 6.2 TH400, ... the restoration begins. Getting a 6bt /47rh swap "The mutt" a mix of parts from the Big 3 but still a Chevy at heart
Restoration thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414730
84 K20 6.2 4sp (The parts truck) Plow truck Parts truck for sure now already started ripping it apart, it's all gone
Parts truck thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434338
84 C10 SB Low rider thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...light=lowrider Sold
2003 Vdub Golf TDi my DD car averaging 45 mpg
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
englishjimmyfan
Diesel Technician

people like lmc truck should devise a bolt in kit for both the box type and spin on canister type miain fuel filter.
its not rocket science for manufacturers/them-with CAD design and probably Chinese made would be cheap.
what size is the fitting (fuel in) on the round canister housing (25011537)? metric?
dodgy '83 6.2 jimmy k5
'83 vw camper 2.0 cu
'95 vw passat 2.0 8v (only 170,000m)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.