Diesel Place banner

ether

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  AndyL 
#1 ·
so quick question for every1. any body have a clue how a diesel become a ether baby? or is it just PFM?

#2 ·
goto the top of the 6.2 page and read the ether anouncement.
it also washs the oil out of the cylinder and causes a dry start, wearing your rings and cylinders and lowering compression

#3 ·
i did and thats what made me quetion it. i understand the oil washdown but after starup the cyl walls would be recoated.

#4 ·
it talks about the rods bending.
when you use ether in a 6.2 or 6.5 the engines lock up and you end up bending things. my buddy bent his push rods.

the period for highest wear is start up. take away the oil, its worse. it only takes a little bit to lower compression and nead ether to keep starting it

#5 · (Edited)
Ether can also kill your glowplugs while bending rods.

Ether + Diesel Engine equipped with glow plugs= Big No No.

My general rule that i stick to, is if your truck needs ether to start, then you've got a problem. My 6.5 has started at 0*F in the dead of night just fine without being plugged in. My 6.2 will most likely start just as easily(haven't owned it through a winter yet).

#6 ·
ive etherd my old truck and it didnt lock up, i also didnt turn my glows on, tho ive heard of people locking up their egines with overuse. but now i understand what makes it an ether baby. always had puzzled me

#7 ·
i've tried it a few times with the glows off. it locked up every time

#8 ·
the one time my glows werent working i tryed ether and it just slowed the cranking speed down because it kept fighting itself. i think my engine doesnt crank fast enough as it is anyways.

#9 ·
Diesel fuel burns at a relatively slow rate when it is ignited under compression or with the aid of a glow plug. The diesel fuel may start to burn before top dead center (TDC) but the major force is when the piston is starting to go down.

Either burns at an extremely fast rate and is classified as an explosion.When either is injected, you have the instantaneous explosion which is like hitting the top of the piston with a sledge hammer at TDC.

Unfortunately, the prevailing RULE is applied.

If a LITTLE (a ball peen hammer) is good, MORE (7 lb sledge)) is better.

The seven lb sledge bends rods.

#10 ·
i want to find some sort of slightly faster burning fluid to use as an IDI ether. even WD40 ignites too fast so i was thinking if i made a mix of WD40 and a slight amount of oil if that would retard the burn rate enough to be safe but i doubt it.

#11 ·
ive never had a problem with lock up but i also barely mist over the top of the intake, one my teachers said one way is to soak a rag in ether and hold it over the intake that way ur not puttin it in the intake directly. but ive heard bout WD-40 being a better alternative but never worked for me

#12 ·
my neighbor had a 6.2 a while back and he used to spray it in the front of the grille where the air intake was. by the time it got into the engine it was so diluted it just barely started the engine but it worked everytime it was below 0*C

#13 ·
mines has seen ether alot, i dont do it anymore but it never hurt it at all.

#14 ·
maybe its just luck of the draw and the way the motor has been treated/taken care of

#16 ·
Very true, when everything is right, these engines start quite easily. When something gets worn or out of spec, they can be nothing but trouble. The simple things the we discuss regularly, like glow plugs, batteries, starters, cables, connections, fusible links, lift pumps, fuel filters and hoses,etc., seem to cause a lot of problems. IP wear is normal with high mileage, the pump needs maintanance and repair like any other part. The slight loss of compression from normal engine wear is much more noticeable in an IDI through design.

I guess it's like the other "best thing", when it's good, it's wonderful and when it's bad, it's still pretty darn good!

#17 · (Edited)
I ended up ether'ing last year - brutally cold ~ -30c & the DW at the hospital (no plug ins) about an hour from home - poor truck didn't stand a chance of starting...

Now I should say my timings pretty retarded already (yeah about time to do that chain) - but a really quick (ie fastest partial opening I could manage) right around the intake muffler, then run to the drivers seat then cranked (glow plugs disconnected) didn't lock it - didn't sound like she liked it either - but no noticeable damage, and did eventually get her started. We've put 15k miles on it since - no problems we could attribute to her ether'ing.

Personally I think it's a matter of accumulation / quantity... Wouldn't use it regularly - but as a last resort; done correctly - can get ya going...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.