Diesel Place banner

Operating Temps

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  0lee 
#1 ·
I am almost done with my WVO set-up and had a question on operating temps.

I have only done around town driving and not for very long, but it seems like my engine is staying right about 150, according to the temp gauge- which I know might not be accurate- but everytime the engine gets up to 180-190, it looks like the thermostat opens up, and the temp drops back to around 150. Do I just need to drive longer to get the coolant in the radiator up to 180?

Or is there a problem with the thermostat? I know I want to be operating at 180-200, not 150.

I am using coolant to heat my wvo, so this is a pretty big difference.

Thanks,

#2 · (Edited)
The correct t-stat for your truck is an AC DELCO part#132-55. Do not settle for a substitute, it won't be the same. The temps you are seeing are definately too cold, but the gauges in these things are usually not accurate either. There are several of us that have already gone thru the t-stat dilemma. I'm sure they'll be happy to confirm, so sound off guys. I've been using that stat for 10 years but didn't have the part number, Olee dug up the part number, now you have it. Make sure you have the right t-stat.

#3 ·
Either get a secondary temp sensor or just use what you have for reference. It does seem to work so unless you want to go through installing a new sensor I wouldnt worry about it.

#4 ·
You could install a mechanical temperature gauge, you can get them for about $17. That would be a good time to flush the radiator ...

The stock gauge on mine showed 150 when it was 180, so you might have a 180F thermostat. Hm, well, looks like you could do it all at once: replace thermostat, install mechanical gauge, flush radiator :)

#5 ·
if eng temp is only getting to 150* your WVO will only be getting up to around 130*

did you install a temp guage in your WVO system? you could use that as a reference if you did.

#6 ·
my temp gauge that i just broke cost $65

where are these $17 gauges at?

#7 ·
OReilleys here has them, might have to order them, though. The ones I have are made by Equus and work fine so far, mechanical temperature and oil pressure and an electrical one for the transmission temperature. They were all about the same price, most (all?) of them have a mounting bracket included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.