3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  bbbadboy 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems I finally got the right thermostat. The box says:

AcDelco
7503066 1 #132-55
1 #14077122
GR. 1. 246 MADE IN
THERM MEXICO

The one I got before was the right type, but the diameter was too small and it had a rubber band around the part that points to the engine when installed. This one seems to be the right diameter, and it doesn't have the rubber part, it's metal instead. It has three bars going from the side to the cone in the middle which points away from the engine and three holes on the other side.

The difference between these and the more common ones is that these special ones have an opening with a much larger diameter. The more common ones have only a relatively small hole in the middle.

On a side note, I payed $21 for the one that was too small, and they gave me $11 back when I changed it out, so this one was even cheaper than the aftermarket ones :)

See less See more
#5 ·
It doesn't say for what temperature it is --- should be 195F.

It sits vertical in the coolant crossover --- I guess you could as well say that one side (as in terms of flow direction) points to the drivers side (away from the engine), the other side points to the passenger side (towards the engine).

I think if I had a crossover from a '97+ 6.5TD with two thermostats, they would sit horizontally instead of vertically ...

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

#3 ·
It seems I finally got the right thermostat. The box says:

AcDelco
7503066 1 #132-55
1 #14077122
GR. 1. 246 MADE IN
THERM MEXICO

The one I got before was the right type, but the diameter was too small and it had a rubber band around the part that points to the engine when installed. This one seems to be the right diameter, and it doesn't have the rubber part, it's metal instead. It has three bars going from the side to the cone in the middle which points away from the engine and three holes on the other side.

The difference between these and the more common ones is that these special ones have an opening with a much larger diameter. The more common ones have only a relatively small hole in the middle.

On a side note, I payed $21 for the one that was too small, and they gave me $11 back when I changed it out, so this one was even cheaper than the aftermarket ones :)
Excellent, that sounds exactly like the one I've been using. Sorry I didn't have the part number for ya Lee.:beerchug:

#6 ·
No problem :) It took them a while to figure out which one it was, but they are listed as an AcDelco dealer so that's what they are for. If I had given them a part number, it would probably have cost more ;)

#4 ·
The one that was to small & had the lathe cut, double flat sides seal describes a 96 or later dual 6.5 dual thermostat. JMO

#7 ·
Put the thermostat in a pan of water and bring it to a boil. It should start opening before it boils and open and close smoothly. I've seen some that stick.

#8 ·
That's what I did :) It opens wider than the old one that was in there when I got the truck. I don't see a difference on the temp gauge, but that doesn't mean much. I was too lazy to take pictures --- maybe I'll take one sometime later of the old one to show how they look ...

#9 ·
Eager to see the pics... reason being that I've never seen the horizontal style thermostat housings but my Chilton book showed them for Suburbans, while the C/K series has the outlet on top (vertical). The C/K thermostat has a spring-loaded disc at the bottom that plugs the ~1" bypass hose from the water pump until it builds up enough pressure (high rpm) to overcome the spring.

#10 ·
Ok --- it's dark now, but I'll take some pics tomorrow or so ...

#11 ·
Here are the pics:

Attachments

#12 ·
The cone of the thermostat points away from the engine --- I guess you can see what I mean now :)

The diameter of the thermostat opening is as large as the outer round thing at the back, and they seem to open gradually, i. e. more with rising temperatures.

The aftermarket ones with the small hole in the middle work, but it's probably much better to use the thermostat designed for the application with the larger diameter opening.

#13 ·
The local AC-Delco dealer is getting me one this afternoon. He says that it's going to be a motorcraft part but it's a direct cross-over for 132-55. I'll bring the old one along to compare.

#14 ·
The manufacturer is Delco. What they got me first, the one with the rubber sleeve that was too small, was from a different manufacturer. Have them get you the Delco one, #132-55 or #14077122. I would almost bet that the other one they come up with will be too small ...

#17 ·
Well I went over there and the motorcraft thermostat looks pretty much like the Stant thermostat I already have. We pulled out the calipers and they are the same diameter. I test fitted the Stant last night and it fits in the manifold perfectly but I'm still worried that it doesn't look anything like the old one.

The weird thing is that this was an Authorized AC Delco dealer and he says that he could not find anything from them that was 132-55.

Who did you get yours from, Lee?

#16 ·
You're welcome :) I'd think that they are, the wrong thermostat won't fit into the right housing, or the other way round ...

#18 ·
The place is, I think, called "A line automotive" or so. It's a local dealer a few miles from here that I found by using the dealer locater on the Delco webpages.

The thermostat was in a Delco box. If you go on their website, they come with a picture of the wrong thermostat for the #132-55: http://198.208.187.182/internet/ViewPartImage.jsp?acdelcoPartNumber=132-55

Maybe you need to ask a dealer :/ Or take the old thermostat with you and show them that you want one exactly like that. They should be able to get it ...

#19 ·
The weird thing is that this was an Authorized AC Delco dealer and he says that he could not find anything from them that was 132-55.

That guy obviously does not know the parts he is selling very well. Try another guy or another AC Delco dealer (chevy dealership).

#20 ·
Yeah, it was the closest place from the locator on the AC Delco website. I'll try a dealer parts desk next.

#21 ·
Good luck,...If you don't find anything local, you might hunt around online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.