Diesel Place banner

how free should a turbo spin?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  91silverado 
#1 · (Edited)
just got my used banks from ebay. It looks good to me, but I don't know jack.

It is still attached to the manifold. The turbo has no play in it. I can spin it freely, but it wont freespin (once i stop spinning it it stops). Is this good or bad?

#2 ·
Well the oil may be drained from the bearing . Maybe not a fair test when drained.

#3 ·
Kayadad;2058817; said:
just got my used banks from ebay. It looks good to me, but I don't know jack.

It is still attached to the manifold. The turbo has no play in it. I can spin it freely, but it wont freespin (once i stop spinning it it stops). Is this good or bad?
I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't have ball bearings - and relies on oil pressure being fed to it when spinning. As long as you cannot force it to rub when you push sideways and spin the wheel - you ought to be fine.

#4 ·
the turbo i got for my truck had been sitting for some time and it just like u said it stopped spinning when i stoped spinning it, well after i warmed the truck up for the 1st time i had felt it then and it spun freely for a while like if i flicked it, i think the bearings just dry out or somethin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.