700R4 Swap, Now truck wont move!! NEED HELP ASAP - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
David Coons
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

700R4 Swap, Now truck wont move!! NEED HELP ASAP

New to board. We have 1986 GMC Suburban 4x4 with a 6.2. Replace motor and then tranny lost reverse. Replaced with used 700 r4 4x4 tran and filled all fluids but still wont move at all. On a side note we used the original torque converter, not the one that came with the new/used transmission

Now the question, the used tranny came out of a gas job chevy. Is this gas 700r4 tranny and torque compatable with the diesel 700r4?Linkage seems fine. Keep in mind prior to swap, truck would go just no reverse. What could have gone wrong? Is it as simple as a gas tranny or torque converter wont work on a diesel? Looking for some help here!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
byt
Diesel Technician

try fitting the gas converter into the old trans, this will elliminate the possibility that they have different splines as there are more than one spline size used on the 700r4 and if you have a big spline t/c and small spline trans they ain't gonna touch and so won't work

1997 GMC Suburban 4x4 5.7 auto (wife's)

1976 GMC c6000(we think) truck undergoing Cummins conversion

1989 Honda Goldwing GL1500 being triked

1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
dieselolds
George Costanza fan...

Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

Did you have any trouble inserting the converter into the tranny?There were two different splines used.......a 27 and a 30 spline version was used in production.Early 700R4's from 1982 to 1984 i think used the 27 spline converter,while from 1985 onward the 30 spline was used.I think if you tried to install a 27 splined converter upon a 30 spline input shaft or vise-versa,it would'nt fit anyway.

I would recommend checking transmission pump pressure with a pressure gauge to determine what psi the pump is putting out.If no pressure is present,thats where your problem lies or perhaps the filter is plugged up which too can cause you trouble.Let us know what you find out.

1993 Chevrolet K1500 Z71....with newly rebuilt '97 6.5 TD (506 squirter block)

1997 Chevrolet K1500 ext.cab Z71....6.5 TD engine is out....New Genuine GM 6.2 660 short block takes its place.Equipped with 4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads and DS4 injection system.

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71.....with a '87 6.2L DIESEL and 700R4.

2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI.....with a 1.9L turbo diesel/5 speed.Cold air intake system.

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI comfortline....with 6 speed manual tranny and 2.0L turbo diesel.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
High Sierra 2500
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Welcome to the forum!

As dieselolds noted, there were two different torque converters and pump assemblies used. Early models used the 27 spline input shaft which was smaller than the later 30 (or maybe it was 31 or something like that, can't remember exactly) spline shaft. The early torque converter won't fit on a late model transmission (it simply won't go on). Here's where the problem arises... The late model torque converter will install on an early model transmission... The problem, as byt noted, is that the splines won't engage and the truck won't move.

When you installed the torque converter did you gently slide it on and rotate it until it locked into position or did you just shove it on there? If you just pushed it on in a hurry you might have damaged the pump. If you damaged the pump that could cause the problem as well. When installing a torque converter you've got to gently push it on and slowly rotate it until it engages with the pump drive.

A couple of other things...

Reusing a torque converter that came off of a transmission that failed in any way is a bad idea. The torque converter gets filled up with contaminants which can be released into your new transmission and cause it to fail as well. There is really no good way to flush the torque converter out, so you've either got to buy a new one or use one off of a transmission that hasn't suffered a failure (yet ).

A gas torque converter will work with a diesel. It won't be exactly optimal, but it will work. I ran one that way for a while. The gasser transmission will also work, but you will want to adjust the governor otherwise the shift points will be way to high and the engine will race a lot. The governor is the thing that really makes the difference. In my experience, you won't really notice that much difference with the gasser transmission and torque converter if you have the governor adjusted correctly.

Hope this helps!

1927 Ford Model T pickup. Bone stock 22 hp 4 cylinder. Driven to work on a regular basis...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
DZLburban
Diesel Technician

Send a message via AIM to DZLburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Coons;1672484;
New to board. We have 1986 GMC Suburban 4x4 with a 6.2. Replace motor and then tranny lost reverse. Replaced with used 700 r4 4x4 tran and filled all fluids but still wont move at all. !
hey i feel your pain..i was there last week and if my tv cable slips again i'll be there next week. welcome, these guys will for sure be abe to help you out, they are wonderful and so helpful to me!

=)
5.9L Cummins- Allison Gen 4 Series - Atlas 2 Speed Dual Stick - Dana 60 front - 14 bolt corporate rear - 4.56 - 6 inch Superlift springs all around - 35in mud BFGs - ProComp 152 wheels - cross over steering - Line-X tub and walls - Silverstar hi/low beams - Kennesaw Mtn rear bumper/tire carrier w HiLift & LEDs - Cobra 29LTD - 102" whip - Orange pumpkins and axles
HER-DZL

1992 4X4 W250 First Generation
5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel - 5 speed Getrag - intercooled
Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Converters are a high failure part on 700R4's, so reusing your old converter could have moved the problem from one trans to another. Might be a good time to install a known good converter.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread