Diesel Place banner

Dirty or clogged oil pickup screen

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Edgeracing 
#1 ·
Hey any mechanics out there know if a partially dirty or partially clogged pickup screen would result in a 30% drop in oil pressure? I recently did an oil change and added a bottle of Hotshots oil additive. It is supposed to remove carbon deposits from just about everything. I am wondering if this dirty screen is the result creating this pressure drop.

I have included a picture, hopefully it is clear enough.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It doesn't look like that screen is seriously blocked, such that it would cause a drop in oil pressure. But the only way to know for sure is to clean it and see if the result is better. I know if it were me, I'd put in the new pump, just in case.

#3 ·
Thanks Ron:
|My thoughts exactly. I've sourced a new pump, gasket, front main seal, and am now stripping everything on the front of the motor....hopefully I can pull the harmonic balancer withouy taking out all four rads.

Ken

#4 ·
...I recently did an oil change and added a bottle of Hotshots oil additive. It is supposed to remove carbon deposits from just about everything...
Over the years I’ve seen something like this happen a couple of times after some kind of magic juice was added to the motor. Both times some of the crud that was knocked loose went into the passage with the oil pressure sender. One was fixed with a new sender, the other time the sender was removed, the engine cranked and shut off immediately- yeah, it was real messy – and the sender reinstalled. Neither time was anything wrong with the motor. Since you’re in for a dime, it may as well be a dollar, you might just try an engine flush before tearing the engine down.

#5 ·
Hey Blackart:
There is not a trace of carbon anywhere on the bottom of the engine. After 950K km the motor looks brand new. I can even see the camshaft and there isn't a mark on it. The sender is fine. I used a Snap-On pressure tester and went for a test drive and it very closely matched what the dash gauge was telling me. I really think the problem is the pump.

Thanks for the follow up, Ken

#7 ·
G"day Blackart:
No, if look along the side of the block, about 6" from the sender is a plug. Pull it and you have a second port to the oil system. I bought a mechanical oil pressure unit and as soon as I can find the correct fittings and some stell tubing I will get it installed. And since it is all apart right now...this is the perfect time to add it. Since my truck is a C5500 it is a blank spot on the dash for it.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.