LMM: Limp Mode - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
H and E
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Limp Mode

I have 66K miles on my Duramax and this week it went into limp mode. I did not realize just how limp it was. On level ground about 12 MPH. First start in the morning it did not want to turn over then it did start on the second try. The amp meter stayed very low and took a few miles to get to the 14-volt mark and actually went past it. During the trip to the dealer the truck would not make it up a hill without stalling. I turned it off and called for a tow. After about 15 minutes I decided to restart the truck and try again. Everything was normal except the check engine light was still on. Finally made it to the dealer In Jackson, MO and they tested the fuel and fuel filter and ended up replacing the Rail Pressure sensor. All is OK now. I received prompt excellent service from this dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
walkwavy
Diesel Fanatic

I had a similar problem. 2008 Duramax 1-ton dually with 66,000 miles on a trip pulling big horse trailer. Luckily nearest dealer was in Dickinson ND – 12 miles away. Long story short – 6 new injectors. Would have cost me over $7500 if not still in warranty. Sax Motor in Dickinson, ND was great. Have since learned by talking with 3 other dealers that this is a common problem - - WOW!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
luckyman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

So, when my truck reaches 66,000 miles, it's going to take a dump? Any ideas on what caused these two issues?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
So, when my truck reaches 66,000 miles, it's going to take a dump? Any ideas on what caused these two issues?
I don't think many have a answer to your question as to the actual cause, if someone does maybe they will chime in.
IMO all you can do is use a good diesel fuel additive, I use Diesel Kleen on every tank.
Especially with this fuel we are forced to buy, IMO.
Always try to buy fuel at a well know place that is busy and sells a lot of Diesel Fuel.

Check the "Fuel Injector Balance Rates" every few months, this will tell you when a injector or injectors are starting to go bad.
Edge Insight CS/CTS has this option on these gauge/monitors.
I have had the orignal Edge Insight that did not have this option since they came out.
I only bought the CTS because it has this option.

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering

Last edited by D_R_C; 10-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
walkwavy
Diesel Fanatic

Three different dealers told me not to use diesel fuel additive and this was the 1st questions ask when they determine it was the injectors. One went so far as to say it may void the warranty. It appears they know there is a problem with injectors.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

There are a few additives that are not good for the LMM and newer.
It has something to do with the type of solvent they use.
Diesel Kleen guarantees it's safe for the newer engines, Walmart pulled it from the shelves around 08 until they stated this on the bottle.
Lucas is another one that is safe for the newer diesel engines because they do not use a solvent. Also several will chime in on this one very negatively.
I've used Lucas in my gassers for years with possitive results.

My dealer promotes using additives and sells them.

Actually I mix DieselKleen 18 oz and Lucas 14 oz in a 32 oz bottle and put in 12 oz of this mix every tankful.
I have used mix this since 2003 and have not had any issues.
I'm not that impressed with either by themselves, it is much better with the mix.
My Fuel Injector Balance Rates now are + - 1.0 @ idle in P & D.

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and E View Post
I have 66K miles on my Duramax and this week it went into limp mode. I did not realize just how limp it was. On level ground about 12 MPH. First start in the morning it did not want to turn over then it did start on the second try. The amp meter stayed very low and took a few miles to get to the 14-volt mark and actually went past it. During the trip to the dealer the truck would not make it up a hill without stalling. I turned it off and called for a tow. After about 15 minutes I decided to restart the truck and try again. Everything was normal except the check engine light was still on. Finally made it to the dealer In Jackson, MO and they tested the fuel and fuel filter and ended up replacing the Rail Pressure sensor. All is OK now. I received prompt excellent service from this dealer.
Do you know what DTC code was set when this happened?

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
H and E
Diesel Fanatic

Do you know what DTC code was set when this happened?

Fuel rail pressure. But they did not tell me if it was high or low just that it was outside the limits.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
walkwavy
Diesel Fanatic

The 1st thing the mechanic said when I arrived were the injectors are bad. I ask for them to change fuel filter 1st. Fuel filter life went from 73% to 0% in the 12 mile limp mode to the dealer. After changing the fuel filter, the fuel pressure was 21,000 psi but should have been at 26,000 psi. I was surprised at the high rate. Neighbor has a 2008 1-ton dually with 186,000 miles & he claims never to have done anything except oil & filters. Hard to understand.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Master

I was looking at what was covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. This is from a 2008 GMC publication:

6.6L DURAMAX Diesel Engine Components

For trucks equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel Engine, the complete engine assembly, including turbocharger components, is covered for defects in material or workmanship for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel,
harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets
Diesel Fuel Metering System: injection pump, nozzles, high pressure lines, and high pressure sealing devices
Glow Plug Control System: control/glow plug assembly, glow plugs, cold advance relay, and Engine Control Module (ECM)
Fuel injection control module, integral oil cooler, transmission adapter plate, left and right common fuel rails, fuel filter assembly, fuel temperature sensor, and function block.

Personally, I wasn't aware that the fuel filter assembly was a covered item. Seems to be a common problem area for trucks that have the P0087 code problem. Time to check YOUR WARRANTY for YOUR TRUCK MODEL if you are having any problems with anything that MIGHT be covered. I am almost at 90,000 miles and my warranty will expire in March 2013 so if anything is going to go wrong for a covered item, NOW is the time.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.