LMM: 6.6 turbo - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
DMAXDSLTRUCK
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.6 turbo

I have a 2009 GMC 2500HD, and I tow quite a bit. I have a 30' triple axle Toyhauler, bumper pull...loaded about 13,000 pounds. This past summer my check engine light came on while towing - outside temps were high (100-107) and I was pulling up a grade. I made it to my destination, and the next morning the engine light was off. Upon taking it to GM, they said the turbo and/or an associated part had heated up causing the parts to twist, which triggered the engine light. However, they said they were unable to tell what part was the issue because no DTC's were currently displayed.

I continued to tow, several trips. I use the tow/haul mode, normally am in 5th, unless downshifting when going up/down grades. I generally go anywhere from 60-70 MPH on interstates, with the exception again being grades.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving weekend....I was towing up steady grades, 60-65 MPH - cruise set, 50 degrees outside - engine light came on again, only this time it never went off. DTC's indicated an issue with the turbo. So, GM advised it was a warranty repair, but said the turbo is a new part #, and a new design. This makes me think the old design must have been flawed...

Since I am no expert, I wanted advice from those of you who may know:
1. Has the turbo been a common issue in these trucks?
2. What conditions should I aim for when towing (i.e. speed, trans temp, RPM's, etc.) to avoid future issues?
3. Is the turbo something I have caused to be a problem? Is it a fluke? Design flaw?

At this point I have just shy of 50K on the truck and have had all recommended maintenance done, and no major repairs.

Any insight would be appreciated, I don't want the truck blown up!

*DURAMAX DIESEL 6.6L V-8 TURBO (LMM)*ALLISON 6-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION*TRANSFER FLOW TOOLBOX/TANK COMBO*AMP RESEARCH POWERSTEPS WITH LED LIGHTS*JIMMI JAMMER ANTI-THEFT DEVICES*SNUGTOP XTRA VISION SHELL WITH BED RUG*READY LIFT TIE ROD REINFORCEMENT KIT*LIMO TINT ON FRONT DOORS, DOUBLE LIMO ON REAR DOORS, REAR WINDOW & IN CAMPER SHELL*FRONT END LEVELING KIT*MOTO METAL 951'S 18"x9" CHROME*NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER MT'S, 285/65/18*BILSTEIN 5100 SERIES SHOCKS*BUSHWACKER BOSS POCKET STYLE WHEEL FLARES*CONCEPT CLD-700 7 HEADREST DVD PLAYERS W/ FARENHEIT WIRELESS HEADPHONES*
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/pic...864478&thumb=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
tank222
Diesel Technician

Mine went out at about 30k. Never really towed any thing over 10k.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

Iv heard of a few turbos going out early.
What I do when towing/driving long distance is, I let the truck idle for @ least 5mins before I shut it off. Helps aid in turbo cool down.
When towing dont go over 65mph & watch your gauges. Turn off the A/C (in those hot days) when going up steep grades. You could use T/H mode to help keep trans temp cool.
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 stock. (Whoopty/Work Truck)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
DMAXDSLTRUCK
Diesel Enthusiast

Thank you guys! I'm hoping the new, supposedly redesigned, turbo will be all for the better...especially since it is free under warranty!

*DURAMAX DIESEL 6.6L V-8 TURBO (LMM)*ALLISON 6-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION*TRANSFER FLOW TOOLBOX/TANK COMBO*AMP RESEARCH POWERSTEPS WITH LED LIGHTS*JIMMI JAMMER ANTI-THEFT DEVICES*SNUGTOP XTRA VISION SHELL WITH BED RUG*READY LIFT TIE ROD REINFORCEMENT KIT*LIMO TINT ON FRONT DOORS, DOUBLE LIMO ON REAR DOORS, REAR WINDOW & IN CAMPER SHELL*FRONT END LEVELING KIT*MOTO METAL 951'S 18"x9" CHROME*NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER MT'S, 285/65/18*BILSTEIN 5100 SERIES SHOCKS*BUSHWACKER BOSS POCKET STYLE WHEEL FLARES*CONCEPT CLD-700 7 HEADREST DVD PLAYERS W/ FARENHEIT WIRELESS HEADPHONES*
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXDSLTRUCK View Post
Thank you guys! I'm hoping the new, supposedly redesigned, turbo will be all for the better...especially since it is free under warranty!
Just curious what GMC dealer in Vegas did you get the work done at?
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
DMAXDSLTRUCK
Diesel Enthusiast

Ed Bozarth Chevrolet

Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXDSLTRUCK View Post
Ed Bozarth Chevrolet
Stay away from Desert GMC Buick in Henderson, NV.
They are clueless on Diesel work.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mhale00
Diesel Enthusiast

Mine went out @ 85k and henderson Chevy is telling they wont warrenty it because something is missing from the computor. Some info they are saying was removed by the tuner and they need it for the paperwork to send to GM. I had a Bully dog on it but put it back to stock before taking it in. Anyone heard of this problem?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
abeez
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax 5th Wheel View Post
Iv heard of a few turbos going out early.
What I do when towing/driving long distance is, I let the truck idle for @ least 5mins before I shut it off. Helps aid in turbo cool down.
When towing dont go over 65mph & watch your gauges. Turn off the A/C (in those hot days) when going up steep grades. You could use T/H mode to help keep trans temp cool.
Turn ac off while towing when hot? Sure hope my LMM isn't like my old lly.

2004.5 LLY Silverado LS CCSB, AFE MP (fins honed out), DIY CAI, DIY shroud stack seal, Edge juice w/a CTS monitor, Magna Flow SS 4" turbo back, EGR blocked w/o fingerstick, 285 75R16, B&W turnover ball (SOLD)
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
roger10378
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhale00 View Post
Mine went out @ 85k and henderson Chevy is telling they wont warrenty it because something is missing from the computor. Some info they are saying was removed by the tuner and they need it for the paperwork to send to GM. I had a Bully dog on it but put it back to stock before taking it in. Anyone heard of this problem?
ECM stores the last 10 flashes so they know you had a tuner. You might try another dealer but don't count on warranty. You have to pay to play.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.